BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for Architect to Design Shipping Container Home
bajabound2019
Newbie





Posts: 5
Registered: 2-4-2019
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 12:57 PM
Looking for Architect to Design Shipping Container Home


Hello! New to the forum but have seen some great advice given here.

Our family just bought some land about 1.5hrs south of Ensenada. We are ready to get the renderings and design done for a shipping container home and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for a local architect to design it?

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile
fishbuck
Banned





Posts: 5318
Registered: 8-31-2006
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 01:38 PM


There are a zillion photos of them on the web.
But after looking into it I don't see any financial benefit and you still end up with an unconventional looking house.
Maybe hard to sell later.
I say cement block still cheaper and better. And you can build a "real" house too.




"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

View user's profile
bajaguy
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 9247
Registered: 9-16-2003
Location: Carson City, NV/Ensenada - Baja Country Club
Member Is Offline

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 01:46 PM


Try living in one. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Plus if you are near the beach you have the damp cold.

If I did it over, I would go with steel framing and LOTS of insulation

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
I say cement block still cheaper and better. And you can build a "real" house too.
View user's profile
bajaguy
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 9247
Registered: 9-16-2003
Location: Carson City, NV/Ensenada - Baja Country Club
Member Is Offline

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 01:51 PM


Find someone in the states to do your plans, then find an architect here to translate them and certify them. Get your building permit from Catastro/Urban Development in Ensenada.

Get an extra set of plans for yourself and be at the construction site every day. If you are not there with your own plans, you will get what the contractor/builder thinks you need instead of what you want.

PS to Fishbuck - You can make a container house look like a "real" stick or block built house - use your imagination


Quote: Originally posted by bajabound2019  
Hello! New to the forum but have seen some great advice given here.

Our family just bought some land about 1.5hrs south of Ensenada. We are ready to get the renderings and design done for a shipping container home and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for a local architect to design it?

Thanks in advance!


[Edited on 2-4-2019 by bajaguy]
View user's profile
fishbuck
Banned





Posts: 5318
Registered: 8-31-2006
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 02:03 PM


Yes. The adobe brick house here (San Quintin) was very hard to keep warm in winter.
It has a very cool fireplace but needed a Franklin stove too. And wood is a bit hard to come by. And still cold. Too much space to heat.
I think I would try to make the core living area as tight as a drum and well insulated to stay warm in winter.
I don't think wood is adequte for heat. I guess everyone uses gas to heat their houses in Baja (norte).
I remember those cool minisplit things. Are they gas or electric?

If the containers were free it might be worth it. But they cost like 2-5 grand in Ensenada. That is alot of cement block.
All the work to use them. And still be living in a container with all the issues.
But some of those container designs are super cool and very creative.
One can dream...




"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

View user's profile
bajabound2019
Newbie





Posts: 5
Registered: 2-4-2019
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 02:28 PM


Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
There are a zillion photos of them on the web.
But after looking into it I don't see any financial benefit and you still end up with an unconventional looking house.
Maybe hard to sell later.
I say cement block still cheaper and better. And you can build a "real" house too.


Thanks Fishbuck. I appreciate your input. We've looked into quite a lot of different building styles and materials. Also toured a 2 story container house in our current neighborhood in Redondo Beach, CA and feel that this is right for us. These container homes, with the right builders and a good architect, can easily resemble a traditional home built of cement blocks. We have no intentions of selling it but if need be, we are confident that it will sell.
View user's profile
bajabound2019
Newbie





Posts: 5
Registered: 2-4-2019
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 02:33 PM


Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Find someone in the states to do your plans, then find an architect here to translate them and certify them. Get your building permit from Catastro/Urban Development in Ensenada.

Get an extra set of plans for yourself and be at the construction site every day. If you are not there with your own plans, you will get what the contractor/builder thinks you need instead of what you want.

PS to Fishbuck - You can make a container house look like a "real" stick or block built house - use your imagination


Quote: Originally posted by bajabound2019  
Hello! New to the forum but have seen some great advice given here.

Our family just bought some land about 1.5hrs south of Ensenada. We are ready to get the renderings and design done for a shipping container home and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for a local architect to design it?

Thanks in advance!


[Edited on 2-4-2019 by bajaguy]


Thanks Bajaguy!This information is valuable to us and will look into the building permits from Catastro/Urban Development. As far as getting it designed here in the states, this is definitely an option we are considering if we don't find the right person in Baja. Appreciate that!

We have close family that live 5 minutes from our land so we, thankfully, will have someone to monitor the progress when we are here in the states. This is part of the reason we chose the lot we did. To make sure we have someone closeby to keep an eye on our property.
View user's profile
bajaguy
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 9247
Registered: 9-16-2003
Location: Carson City, NV/Ensenada - Baja Country Club
Member Is Offline

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 02:41 PM


Next time you are in Ensenada, check out the area along the Malecon, south of the Navy base. Someone is designing/building a commercial structure using shipping containers. You might check with them and see who they are using for an architect and/or contractor

Also think the Agula Mala craft beer pub in Sauzal is made out of shipping containers
View user's profile
bajabound2019
Newbie





Posts: 5
Registered: 2-4-2019
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 02:48 PM


Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Next time you are in Ensenada, check out the area along the Malecon, south of the Navy base. Someone is designing/building a commercial structure using shipping containers. You might check with them and see who they are using for an architect and/or contractor

Also think the Agula Mala craft beer pub in Sauzal is made out of shipping containers


Perfect! I'll look out for it on our next trip. Thanks!

We were in Valle de Guadalupe this weekend and saw a couple of these homes being built on one lot. Couldn't find anyone around on a Sunday morning and we were on our way out. But I think i'll call the winery nearby and see if they know who the builder is too.
View user's profile
bajabound2019
Newbie





Posts: 5
Registered: 2-4-2019
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 02:53 PM


Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Next time you are in Ensenada, check out the area along the Malecon, south of the Navy base. Someone is designing/building a commercial structure using shipping containers. You might check with them and see who they are using for an architect and/or contractor

Also think the Agula Mala craft beer pub in Sauzal is made out of shipping containers


Perfect! I'll look out for it on our next trip. Thanks!

We were in Valle de Guadalupe this weekend and saw a couple of these homes being built on one lot. Couldn't find anyone around on a Sunday morning and we were on our way out. But I think i'll call the winery nearby and see if they know who the builder is too.
View user's profile
chuckie
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 6076
Registered: 2-20-2012
Location: Kansas Prairies
Member Is Offline

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 04:04 PM


Geezo! They are BOXES,eh?



View user's profile
fishbuck
Banned





Posts: 5318
Registered: 8-31-2006
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 04:19 PM


Yeah, a whole world of cool stuff made from boxes.
I want some form of it for my place too.
Maybe my hanger. Cut a bunch up for it with a cool little control tower/bedroom on top.
I'll Airbnb it. Right on my runway.
Seems like a good use.




"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

View user's profile
del mar
Super Nomad
****




Posts: 1054
Registered: 7-23-2016
Location: the cantina of course
Member Is Offline

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 04:26 PM


does anyone build quonset huts anymore?
View user's profile
BajaTed
Senior Nomad
***




Posts: 793
Registered: 5-2-2010
Location: Bajamar
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 06:49 PM


Closed cell foam blocks are part of the new frontier in building materials.
Logistics for far away places is part of their advantage.
Think hydronic floor heating too for ultimate comfort.




Es Todo Bueno
View user's profile

  Go To Top

 






All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.
Powered by XMB; XMB Forum Software © 2001-2014 The XMB Group






"If it were lush and rich, one could understand the pull, but it is fierce and hostile and sullen. The stone mountains pile up to the sky and there is little fresh water. But we know we must go back if we live, and we don't know why." - Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

 

"People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Theodore Roosevelt

 

"You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them or to them." - Malcolm Forbes

 

"Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else's hands, but not you." - Jim Rohn

 

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer." - Cunningham's Law







Thank you to Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services for your long-term support of the BajaNomad.com Forums site.







Emergency Baja Contacts Include:

Desert Hawks; El Rosario-based ambulance transport; Emergency #: (616) 103-0262