BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Isobutane canisters somewhere in Loreto?
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2019 at 10:10 AM
Isobutane canisters somewhere in Loreto?

I'm probably flying into Loreto next week, and would really love to think I can use my light little isobutane stove while kayak camping around Carmen and Danzante.

Does anyone know if the sports shops in Loreto might have these canisters on hand? They have little screw tops and are NOT propane canisters for larger stoves.

The specific stove is a Snow Peak "litemax". I'll bring it with high hopes, and if you can point me to the right place, that would be mucho mucho appreciated! :)
JCK

[*] posted on 2-5-2019 at 12:06 PM

I have had this problem in past years. I am in loreto today and have not seen any since I arrived in November. A couple years ago one of the outfitters had them in their office, but that office is now closed. There is an adapter you can buy that allows your stove to use the larger Coleman canisters. They are available in loreto.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2019 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JCK  
There is an adapter you can buy that allows your stove to use the larger Coleman canisters. They are available in loreto.

Yes, I've used one on a small Brunton stove, but the pressure is much higher from the 16.4 oz bottles than the small cans. I adjusted the adapter to a minimal setting but it still has more flow than the smaller canisters. Also, the adapter does not work on my Jetboil for some reason. Good option if you find one that works well.

John
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2019 at 01:24 PM

Thanks for the great information guys. If I can find an adapter like that around here, I'll do some testing!

Will let you know if I find any canisters down there. Backup is a "twig stove" that works OK but requires constant feeding and a lot of browsing around for fuel.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2019 at 01:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
Thanks for the great information guys. If I can find an adapter like that around here, I'll do some testing!

I got mine off Ebay.

John
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-5-2019 at 01:41 PM

Here you go....cook your food, and charge your gadgets at the same time! https://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2012-06/wood-burning-...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 03:31 PM

Wow that's some serious MacGyver stuff. If anyone else remembers that show :)
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 06:48 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Kovea-LPG-Adaptor-Small-Silver/dp/B00...

http://kovea.com/product/lpg-adapter/

https://www.amazon.com/Extend-Valve-Lindal-Canister-100cm/dp...

Some say it works with Kovea and Snow Peak but not MSR and others. Some stoves have a longer screw than others.

Somebody post a link to the Mexican gas canister stove. Has to be more cost effective than import stuff.

Walmart in La Paz sometimes has isobutane canisters, sometimes. About double the price as up north.

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
use my light little isobutane stove while kayak camping around Carmen and Danzante.

Adapter or fire on the beach, up to you. Hint, cooking on the red coals of a camp fire makes the food taste better, pack of matches weighs about 1 gram.

[Edited on 2-8-2019 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2019 at 01:39 PM

I have that Kovea adapter. It does not seem to work with my JetBoil. It does work with my Brunton, although pressure (flow rate) is still high.

John

[Edited on 2-8-2019 by John Harper]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.