BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: apparently NOAA & NASA in on the conspiracy!
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lewmt  
"So, really the heart of the Green New Deal is about social justice.”

Quoted from A. O. Cortez. The new brain child of the left & the heart of why I totally distrust the politics of "Climate Science".

Everyone has an agenda. I have not studied the issue of climate change enough to have a solid opinion, but I will say that a brief Wikipedia search shows that, based on ice cores, the CO2 level in the atmosphere has spiked up several times over the last 400,000 years, reaching a high of about where it is now, always followed by an ice age. I too, have wondered why fossilized sea life can be found far above sea level. It is not because the sea has fallen, it is because the land has been uplifted. Imagine how old the earth must be for a fossilized sea shell to end up on top of a mountain, and all that time the sun pouring out its solar radiation and the sea has always existed. This in the face of asteroid impacts, volcanic eruptions, and the like; who can say with certainty that the burning of fossil fuels can tilt the balance of this equilibrium that has existed for eons.

Beyond the issue of the "scientists" grubbing for research grants funded by people who might have an agenda, there is the issue of the effect the internet has had on popular opinion. The internet has caused ideas that would be considered the ravings of a lunatic to come in to mainstream thinking. 30 years ago I do not recall anyone claiming that the earth was flat, now there is a group of people that embrace that idea; an internet-fueled exercise in idiotic group think, along with the notion that jet contrails are a nefarious plot, etc etc. So, call me a climate change skeptic.

Regarding the federal deficit, an economist who's name escapes me pointed out that when the government spends more than it takes in and prints money (bonds) to make up the difference the best strategy is to hold non-cash hard assets; e.g. apartment buildings, cropland, timber, and such, that will still have value when the dollar is worth nothing. Society has already begun to devolve back into the feudal system of landlords and serfs, with the first holding all the assets, and the second enslaved in a life of grinding poverty, living on the dole. have a nice day!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
I had previously asked for our nomad climate experts opinion as to the example of why DK’s palm tree remains high and dry after all these years in the face of rising sea levels with pictorial documentation to back up the example. So far neither The NY Times or any other source used by the nomad climate experts has explained this. The usual playground responses invariably follow in lieu of an intelligent argument requiring any personal opinion that could possibly expose an obvious lack of firsthand knowledge. And so, my simple original question remains. Why no perceptible rise in sea level in respect to DK’s well documented palm tree example?

I'm Glad you brought that up: so lets take a look at the magic palm tree photos

David, could you please provide us the exact date and time of when each of those comparative photos were taken. I hate to bring it up, but you know v- tides, all that kind of thing, would have an effect on this - no? so in order to have a valid comparison, we need to know those data so we can determine tides.

I'm sure you understand, as you recognize some unscroupulous person would take a photo at high tide, then compare it to a photo at low tide, and say it proved sea level changes!

and while we are at it, anyone have any data from that location on sand deposition, etc?

The Playa El Coyote Palm Tree is at the top of the sloping beach. Behind that beach is a large flat area. During extreme lunar tides that flat area can get wet but average high tides don't go higher than the sloping part of the beach. Photos taken at lower tides would simply show more of that sloping beach. The palm tree remains in the same place despite where the edge of the water is during the photo.

My point is that if the sea was any higher than it was in the 1940s (when the photos of the palm began showing up in books) or 50s, 60s, 70s, etc. that palm would not only be in water more often than just the extreme tides. That flat area between the palm and the mountain would be a lagoon or bay.... with only a foot or two increase in sea level.

Some say the science says it is about a cigarette length higher after 100 years... wow. The daily tide changes several feet up and down, so a cigarette increase not only must fall into the +/- margin of error, but it is laughable to get all worked up over. Plus, you can't change it if it was rising as that is a Natural event. I can show you fossil sea shells many hundred feet above sea level and many miles inland from the ocean, so this is not some unnatural event caused by men driving pickup trucks.

Now, do I need to post those photos again (and I have provided the year of the photo or the year the book was published)?

1952 photo by Howard Gulick

1953 photo by Howard Gulick

In 1971:

In the 2000's:

In February, 2017:

==================================================================

Now, here's a photo I took in 1987... Gonzaga Bay... that's my 4WD Subaru down there and I am hiking up the trail on the island in front of Alfonsina's. You can still walk onto the island at low tide. You can still land on Alfonsina's runway (except at the highest tides, as it always has been since about 1959 when that campo was just getting started). That runway would be underwater at every high tide if the sea had risen even a few inches... on and on are examples. Do we talk about the home I lived in when I was born (1957) to age 7? It is on the beach in Del Mar, and the street and homes there are still not anywhere near being underwater.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
the sea has always existed.

Not true. Our planet was a hot, volcanic lump of rock for many millions of years, and oceans could not form until the temperatures were below 212 Fahrenheit.

John

[Edited on 2-7-2019 by John Harper]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
It has been very amusing following this topic for months now. So far the only arguments presented by the nomad climate expert set has been the usual name calling, dissing others occupations, and any mocking or other tactic learned from their playground bullying days. Expert credentials include citing reading of the NY Times, or WA Po, and citing the opinions of others who must be experts based on their degree. The lack of personal observations and examples has been lacking. I had previously asked for our nomad climate experts opinion as to the example of why DK’s palm tree remains high and dry after all these years in the face of rising sea levels with pictorial documentation to back up the example. So far neither The NY Times or any other source used by the nomad climate experts has explained this. The usual playground responses invariably follow in lieu of an intelligent argument requiring any personal opinion that could possibly expose an obvious lack of firsthand knowledge. And so, my simple original question remains. Why no perceptible rise in sea level in respect to DK’s well documented palm tree example?

Who are the expert(s) with climate science credentials, on Baja Nomad?

I will give 50 to 1 odds, on a bet if they could prove they are real climate scientists, and I would double the odds 100 to 1, if they happen to be climate scientists, who denies global warming, and are not on some oil company's payroll.

Remember, on the internet you can claim anything, and members often claim all kinds of untrue things. One of the favorite tactics members use on group sites to win an argument, is to claim some type of expert status, and they expect you to stand down once they make their claim of expertise status.

Regarding David K. Palm tree, that's called anecdotal evidence, it's not done scientifically, and David K. is biased, leans to the right, and denies global warming out of hand. So while I welcome David K. opinion, that's all it is an opinion and his personal observation looking through his lens.

There is also the fact that global warming is not happening at the same speed around the world, in the arctic, the effects of global warning are happening at a very fast alarming pace.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 11:57 AM

Well, yeah, but that is going back to before there was a sea. Interesting trivia tidbit: all rocks started out as basalt.
BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 12:00 PM

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Well, yeah, but that is going back to before there was a sea. Interesting trivia tidbit: all rocks started out as basalt.

I've always marveled at the formation of stromatolites and how they boosted oxygen levels in our atmosphere. Natural "polluters" of the ancient atmosphere. Without them, we would not even be here. But, many other organisms likely died off as O2 levels rose to what they are today. Now, we're the modern equivalent with our massive CO2 emissions.

John

[Edited on 2-7-2019 by John Harper]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNaranja  

Exactly! The fact is the sea has not risen and that climate change cannot be stopped by humans... Nature is in charge. :light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Exactly! The fact is the sea has not risen and that climate change cannot be stopped by humans... Nature is in charge. :light:

Almost everyone....even those that can't agree with the cause, agree the seas are rising David. I know you probably won't read this but here are some factual readings. https://www.skepticalscience.com/sea-level-rise.htm
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Almost everyone....even those that can't agree with the cause, agree the seas are rising David. I know you probably won't read this but here are some factual readings. https://www.skepticalscience.com/sea-level-rise.htm

Can't recall who's sig. quote sez it, but.....

"Never argue with a fool... people may not be able to tell the difference"... or sumpin' of that sort. It's like the wall thing, basic trumpanzeeism, the true owners of TDS.

Truer words have never been spoken. :smug:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 05:38 PM

Here is a panoramic picture I took at Los Arcos in April of 1999. The left side is looking at the Sea of Cortez and the right side through the arch is the Pacific Ocean. Two major bodies of water in the same picture.

Pan-4.jpg - 44kB

The arch now looks like this.

Water.jpg - 134kB

Sorry there arn't any palm trees.

This is intended to be a humorous post. :saint:

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 05:48 PM

Yes, I love it...
and there was water under the arch in 1966 too...
I think the beach being there is a seasonal thing since the top of the arch is still the same height from the top of the water, sand or no sand (which moves).
Thank you!
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

You can throw all the links to words in the world, but here is the evidence, the facts, the truth, the science... OBSERVE 64 years of sea level rise:

1952:

2016:

64 years... :wow:;D

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 06:44 PM
2018 Was 4th Hottest Year on Record, NASA Finds

"The key message is that the planet is warming," Gavin Schmidt, the director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York City, told reporters at a news conference. "And our understanding of why those trends are occurring is also very robust. It's because of the greenhouse gases that we['ve] put into the atmosphere over the last 100 years." [6 Unexpected Effects of Climate Change]"

https://www.livescience.com/64700-2018-heat-record.html

Would imagine heat has influence over the water cycle ... just saying :):)
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 07:36 PM

Just saying.

Palms.jpg - 39kB

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 08:49 PM
Five Pacific islands lost to rising seas as climate change hits

Perhaps the lack of sea level rise could be explained to these folks who were negatively impact by the rise of the sea level in their location ... just saying :biggrin::biggrin:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/10/five-pac...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 10:32 PM

BajaBill74, now that IS photographic evidence... well done!

wessongroup: Sea level is not the blame but erosion is... All islands eventually erode back into the sea and after reading the link, they even say it is erosion (but add 'sea level rise' with that). Why they needed to add the other is obviously to fill the emotional need of some. The sea didn't just rise at a few Soloman Islands and not anywhere else!

Corral atolls used to be bigger islands that eroded away.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2019 at 10:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
"The key message is that the planet is warming," Gavin Schmidt, the director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York City, told reporters at a news conference. "And our understanding of why those trends are occurring is also very robust. It's because of the greenhouse gases that we['ve] put into the atmosphere over the last 100 years." [6 Unexpected Effects of Climate Change]"

Or it is a very normal trend that keeps repeating the older earth gets...

What greenhouse gasses were the Vikings making in 1000 AD??? LOL

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2019 at 04:52 AM

Just so light bedtime reading

https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economics/amidst-global-warmi...

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/23/the-co2-derangement-s...

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-8-2019 at 07:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  

Or it is a very normal trend that keeps repeating the older earth gets...

What greenhouse gasses were the Vikings making in 1000 AD??? LOL

The denier medieval warm period argument also does not stand up to scrutiny, although they may have been a slight warm period on some parts of Earth, but in other places there were cooling going on.

Also during that period scientist know there were observable solar activity.

_________

One of the most often cited arguments of those skeptical of global warming is that the Medieval Warm Period (800-1400 AD) was as warm as or warmer than today. Using this as proof to say that we cannot be causing current warming is a faulty notion based upon rhetoric rather than science. So what are the holes in this line of thinking?

Firstly, evidence suggests that the Medieval Warm Period may have been warmer than today in many parts of the globe such as in the North Atlantic. This warming thereby allowed Vikings to travel further north than had been previously possible because of reductions in sea ice and land ice in the Arctic. However, evidence also suggests that some places were very much cooler than today including the tropical pacific. All in all, when the warm places are averaged out with the cool places, it becomes clear that the overall warmth was likely similar to early to mid 20th century warming.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/medieval-warm-period.htm

[Edited on 2-8-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.