BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beaches North of Punta Chivato
msand1977

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 01:47 AM
Beaches North of Punta Chivato

Headed down to Loreto in March and am planning to camp along the way. Does any one have any info on the beaches North of the Punta Chivato Airstrip ? Road Condition, Fishing, Camping? I also might try San Basilio, same questions?

Thanks
Matt

[Edited on 2-12-2019 by msand1977]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 08:29 AM

Hi Matt, see my 2017 Trip #2 report (scroll down in the Nomad Trip Reports forum). http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85756

Russ at Shell Beach, Punta Chivato showed me those camping options.
The beach north of the runway is isolated but gets hit by north winds.
I also visited San Juanico and San Basilio, which recently was reported closed to camping.

Beach east of the runway, past or in front of private homes:

============================================================

Beach north of the runway, faces north:

Isla San Marcos & gypsum mine on island.
===============================================================

San Juanico beach, 9.2 miles east of Hwy. 1 at Km. 48.5. A fork at Mile 6.8 is left for San Juanico (2.4 miles) and right for San Basilio (4 miles):

San Basilio has since my trip in 2017 been reported closed:

North beach (faces wind in winter)

South beach (Feb 2017)

[Edited on 2-12-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 08:35 AM

We see campers now and then at the campsite but I don't think there are services any longer.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 03:31 PM

Those pics of the beaches are just gorgeous.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 03:58 PM

Thank you, Blanca! Baja is beautiful and when it looks good even with my poor photography skills, that says a lot!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

msand1977

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 07:15 PM

Well if Chivato North beach is super Windy and San Basilio is closed maybe I'll stay a little longer in Gonzaga and try Punta Final. I've stayed at Campo Beluga many times, but wanted to try something different this trip. I am definitely staying at Conception either at Santispac or Escondida.

Thanks
Matt
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 08:21 PM

If chivato is a bust go up to San Lucas RV and hunker in. Not expensive, good restaurant (tell 'em I sent'cha) and do a Sta. Rosalia day for fun.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2019 at 09:15 PM

Low-key camping on beaches around Pta Chivato and hunkering in San Lucas RV parks is a world of difference. Depends on what kind of camper you are.

The biggest, if not the only, benefit of San Lucas camp North of military base is showers and toilets. Moderately crowded, moderately loud. There are 2 camps next to one another, not sure whether the northernmost one is still operating.

There is also a 3rd "sort of" camp Dos Amigos, South of military base, but better try the North camp first - that is, if you have to stay in Sta Rosalia area.

It used to be possible to stealth-camp in abandoned date-palm lots South of Dos Amigos, to the South of slowly developing micro-community adjacent to Amigos - probably still is. There is no good beach anywhere in San Lucas, North camps are on muddy lagoon, South area is rocky and windy.

Sta Rosalia town is good for stocking up on groceries or sudden hardware needs. Not a beautiful town otherwise, dusty and congested with local traffic.

It used to be possible to camp under the 3 trees at the mouth of San Marcos creek, on the South side of the creek, ~12 miles South of Dos Amigos. Sandy beach. Somebody was selling this area with creek for "marina" development, - sure, sure... Open, sandy and shallow... Just what marinas need...

All those camps - 2 at the North of militaries and one to the South - can be a pain in the ars if you have a boat to launch. Possibly - from a little town of San Bruno, near San Marcos estuary.

San Juanico aka San Basilio did not impress me in the past when there were fewer houses there, but if you have never visited the place, - stop for a night. With a plan B to move on, if you won't like the place. Might not be even open anymore, David is right.

[Edited on 2-13-2019 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 08:49 AM

San Juanico and San Basilio are different places, 6 road miles apart. The first is a tiny fishing village and the second is a couple of luxury homes. Both have sand beaches.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 11:38 AM

Yes David, different places. Travelers use often these 2 names interchangeably, though are usually not interested in the village beach of San Juanico.

I stopped in San Basilio just to have a look, so that I wouldn't regret not seeing it. Interesting rock structures in the water. It was a bit humiliating being overlooked by homes on the cliffs, and from what I hear, it's gotten worse since then. Now that they closed it, I know that I'm not missing anything :)

[Edited on 2-13-2019 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 12:43 PM

Thanks, I also got the same feeling when I checked out the camping beach at Punta Chivato (by the lighthouse). It is in front of private homes... not a place I would want to camp!

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 12:58 PM

I would still check the "3 trees" beach on the South side of San Marcos estuary, right after a little town of San Bruno, before Pta Chivato. If the road is good enough.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-13-2019 at 02:57 PM

Beqch North of Chivato hasn't been good to me...Had a major case of Stuckification once when I was there alone..Two days to get unsticked. Another instance got blown in there and had to beach my boat....Enough Mexican folks around to drag it up out of surf....picked it up a week later...Nothing missing..Good old days in Baja...

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2019 at 03:01 PM

Isn't it fun when people ask questions without providing any basic details... Going "camping and fishing" - with what? For all we know, he could be traveling on a bike with a tent and a folding fishing pole in the back...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-14-2019 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Isn't it fun when people ask questions without providing any basic details... Going "camping and fishing" - with what? For all we know, he could be traveling on a bike with a tent and a folding fishing pole in the back...

Yes, he really should tell us what color tent. Makes a world of difference!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2019 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Huh?

There are few possible scenarios for camping and fishing, depending on what he is driving and what boat (if there is a boat). Could be 2WD with a plastic kayak in the back, SUV with 14ft dinghy on top, small motorhome with any of the above, or a truck with some big boat on trailer. Each scenario will play differently on beaches. Asking about "camping, fishing and roads" without telling anything else is a waste of time, IMO.
JCK

[*] posted on 2-15-2019 at 03:40 PM

San Basilio is not closed to camping. I had a wonderful time camping there in November. Checked it out a week ago and found it too crowded with campers for my taste.

46489679_10210592509928442_8079208709298847744_n.jpg - 59kB

[Edited on 2019-2-15 by JCK]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2019 at 05:14 PM

Great news (about it not being closed)!
As for crowded, well, Canadians got to go somewhere for winter, eh?

msand1977

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 11:16 AM

Ok I'll play, I'm traveling in 2014 4x4 4runner lifted 3 inches with a locker, attached to that I have a 1969 Army M416 trailer converted into a tent trailer. I have a Kayak but will be fishing from shore as well. I have a 9' Penn Battle 2 combo spooled with 40lb braid and an Abu Garcia Bruiser 7' combo spooled with 50lb braid. I like my Coffee black, and my Dogs name is Angus. Is that specific enough for you?

[Edited on 2-18-2019 by msand1977]

[Edited on 2-18-2019 by msand1977]
msand1977

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Yes, he really should tell us what color tent. Makes a world of difference!

My tent is Blue, my wife says it makes my eyes sparkle:cool:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.