Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 'The Devil's Road' Official Film Trailer (see Pancho):
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 11:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
There's a "Devils Road" in Arizona that stretches between Yuma and Ajo appropriately named "Camino Del Diablo"
The name perked my curiosity so I researched it then rode it with a friend on dirt bikes.

It's a historic 250-mile (400 km) road that currently extends through some of the most remote and arid terrain of the Sonoran Desert in Pima County and Yuma County, Arizona. In use for at least 1,000 years, El Camino del Diablo is believed to have started as a series of footpaths used by desert-dwelling Native Americans. From the 16th to the 19th centuries, the road was used extensively by conquistadores, explorers, missionaries, settlers, miners, and cartographers. Use of the trail declined sharply after the railroad reached Yuma in 1870. In recognition of its historic significance, El Camino del Diablo was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. It has also been designated a Bureau of Land Management Back Country Byway.
It's also claimed the lives of over 2000 people.

The name, like its other historic name Camino del Muerto, ("road of the dead") refers to the harsh, unforgiving conditions on trail.

If I have an opportunity, I'll go see the film, because it's perked my curiosity. Maybe there'll be a DVD version of it some day too....

Found a track of the route, 128 miles of it anyway.

Attachment: ECDD.kmz (96kB)
This file has been downloaded 201 times

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 05:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
There's a "Devils Road" in Arizona that stretches between Yuma and Ajo appropriately named "Camino Del Diablo"
The name perked my curiosity so I researched it then rode it with a friend on dirt bikes.

It's a historic 250-mile (400 km) road that currently extends through some of the most remote and arid terrain of the Sonoran Desert in Pima County and Yuma County, Arizona. In use for at least 1,000 years, El Camino del Diablo is believed to have started as a series of footpaths used by desert-dwelling Native Americans. From the 16th to the 19th centuries, the road was used extensively by conquistadores, explorers, missionaries, settlers, miners, and cartographers. Use of the trail declined sharply after the railroad reached Yuma in 1870. In recognition of its historic significance, El Camino del Diablo was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. It has also been designated a Bureau of Land Management Back Country Byway.
It's also claimed the lives of over 2000 people.

The name, like its other historic name Camino del Muerto, ("road of the dead") refers to the harsh, unforgiving conditions on trail.

If I have an opportunity, I'll go see the film, because it's perked my curiosity. Maybe there'll be a DVD version of it some day too....

Found a track of the route, 128 miles of it anyway.

It looks like it starts out by Wellton, AZ. We hunt dove out in that area every year, I'll have to check it out. The Gila River bed is near there, so maybe years ago there was flowing water.

John

[Edited on 6-25-2019 by John Harper]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.