BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hwy 1: Tijuana to beyond El Rosario and back Feb 17-18, 2019 (Photos added)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 10:48 PM
Hwy 1: Tijuana to beyond El Rosario and back Feb 17-18, 2019 (Photos added)

Here were my observations:
A) Toll gates not open to collect money due to strike by some group. No problems passing through.
B) The harborside street in Ensenada has been extended and you can take it to the end where the cross street is signed La Bufadora to continue south from Ensenada. It passes the previous street, which is also signed the same.
C) Bad potholes in Maneadero and a few in San Quintin, otherwise the highway was in good shape, except for:
D) The new grade construction south of Santo Tomas is well under construction for widening. One lane wide control and the wait was maybe 15 minutes for our turn. I guessed the construction was about 3 miles long?
E) Baja Cactus new restaurant is a big addition in size and is a long way from completion.
F) Had dinner and drinks at Mama Espinoza's and nobody was disappointed. I had the crab soup, so raved by Udo that I had to try it. It was great and so full of crab meat, that it easily filled me and I couldn't finish. Others in my group had lobster burritos, steak, Chile Rellenos, enchiladas, and more. All smiles. The margaritas, Palomas, and micheladas we're enjoyed too.
G) The heater in my room does not work, but it is not cold enough to need tonight. Yes, I am at Baja Cactus and am otherwise pleased with the room decor and conditions. The bathroom and fanlight are bright if you need that. The others are very dim.

I will report back when we return to Tijuana, tomorrow after visiting a mission or two.
Goodnight from El Rosario!

[Edited on 2-20-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 11:22 PM

Thanks.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-17-2019 at 11:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here was today's observations:
A) Toll gates not open to collect money due to strike by some group. No problems passing through.

G) The heater in my room does not work, but it is not cold enough to need tonight. Yes, I am at Baja Cactus and am otherwise pleased with the room decor and conditions. The bathroom and fan light are bright if you need that. The others are very dim.

Re (A), I think AMLO stopped the toll collection. Not a strike.

Re (G), sorry to hear the cactus gave you a bad room, sorry to hear the hotel is in disrepair. It is quite cold today. I would complain and get a room with heat.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 06:04 AM

The room is wonderful, I slept great. The bed had good heavy blankets so I was a bug in the rug!
The new restaurant building in front totally blocks any highway noise. I did not hear one truck.
Still an awesome value.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 06:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The last three times I've been down recently, the toll booths were closed on the way down with flag waving citizens (?). But, on my return trips (early in the morning on Sundays) both toll stations were open and collecting.

I heard it's a protest over folks not having access to the free road from some developments and being forced to pay tolls daily. I have not heard that it's an official AMLO administration policy.

John

[Edited on 2-18-2019 by John Harper]
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 07:45 AM

Thank's for the info DK - headed south in 5 hours to Colonet for a 3 day photo-shoot on some Jeep stuff.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 08:55 AM

G) The heater in my room does not work, but it is not cold enough to need tonight. Yes, I am at Baja Cactus and am otherwise pleased with the room decor and conditions. The bathroom and fan light are bright if you need that. The others are very dim.

Re (G), sorry to hear the cactus gave you a bad room, sorry to hear the hotel is in disrepair. It is quite cold today. I would complain and get a room with heat.

Provide proof that the non collection of tolls is an AMLO policy ok?
An official statement or declaration, or some text of an edict from an official dot gov dot MX site will do.

The rooms are not "bad" or in "disrepair"
How did you come to that conclusion with the statement of "the heater did not work"?
Was it some lights were dim?

When did you last stay at the Cactus to offer up your assessment it is in "bad" shape and is in general "disrepair"?

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 09:01 AM

The room is wonderful, I slept great. The bed had good heavy blankets so I was a bug in the rug!
The new restaurant building in front totally blocks any highway noise. I did not hear one truck.
Still an awesome value.

There are bed bugs in the rooms. Oh no.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

An official statement or declaration, or some text of an edict from an official dot gov dot MX site will do.

How did you come to that conclusion with the statement of "the heater did not work"?

When did you last stay at the Cactus to offer up your assessment it is in "bad" shape and is in general "disrepair"?

Dim lighting, no heat,... I do not plan to stay at cactus to do an assessment, Dk just told me all I need to know!

A few weeks back I stayed at Catavina, the lighting was good, the heat worked, the water was hot and pressure was good. I taught the bartender how to make rusty nail c-cktail, so now one more reason to stay at Catavina!

Regarding the tolls, someone told me! Hey, why don’t you provide proof that non-collection of tolls is not amlo policy? :P

[Edited on 2-18-2019 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 11:26 AM

Regarding the tolls, someone told me! Hey, why don’t you provide proof that non-collection of tolls is not amlo policy? :P

The same people who told you Smollett was assaulted by dudes with MAGA hats on, twirling a hangman's noose?.

Ok got it...you don't have any proof..other than someone told you!!!

Yeah buddy!!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 12:08 PM

The same people who told you Smollett was assaulted by dudes with MAGA hats on, twirling a hangman's noose?.

No.

Woke!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2019 at 09:47 PM

Back in Tijuana tonight.
Lots of rain today!
The trip was a total success.
I will post more later with extra details that many of you appreciate.
Saw Antonio today, too... He is a great human!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2019 at 12:34 AM

Ok, had some fish tacos, a michelada, and a Paloma with my new friends so before I crash, let me share the return drive report...

We left El Rosario in the morning about 6:15 to head to the mission of San Fernando with Ed of Baja's Best who secured the key to the now locked gate near Mission San Fernando. The word he got as to why the lock, was that INAH asked it to be locked to preserve what little remains of the mission walls. They think treasure hunting still exists rather than the rain as causing the disappearance.

We got the filming done and had to deal with a short downpour.
Baja is wet!

We were back in El Rosario for lunch at Mama Espinoza's (where we had dinner the night before). The experience everyone had there, both meals, was great. I had the crab soup last night and the host of the show had it today for lunch and this was all thanks to Udo for his high praises of it! Antonio came over to meet us there as we had arrived too late the previous night to catch him at Baja Cactus, where we had 11 rooms. Everyone loved the accommodations and preferred Baja Cactus over the Marriott we are now in, again.

The drive back to Tijuana was mostly wet, great rainbow at Santo Tomás, no wait for the run down the construction grade, and then the bad potholes at Maneadero. The traffic into Ensenada at 5 pm was really bad. Arrived in Tijuana at 8 pm.

The first toll gate northbound was being striked so it was free but the Rosarito toll was open and was 43 pesos, I think.

I have some photos and will share in a trip report after I get home tomorrow.

Good night, amigos!

[Edited on 2-20-2019 by David K]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-19-2019 at 01:07 AM

Welcome back DK and thanks.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2019 at 07:50 AM

That's very nice, Mike.... I will have an interesting border crossing story, I bet today! To be continued...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2019 at 10:51 AM

Back in the USA... Amazingly fast clearing Mexican customs then being let into the northbound lane about 4 car lengths from the border. Waiting for the one van with all the media gear to get done with US customs in Secondary. Blue sunny day!!!
The trip report and photos coming soon.

[Edited on 2-19-2019 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2019 at 09:03 AM
Road photos

The construction images are coming down into Santo Tomás from the south (ie. 30-40 miles south of Ensenada) and lasts only a couple of miles.

South of Colonet, I believe. Sunday.

El Rosario river bridge, northbound. Monday.

Fuel price in Ensenada (Chevron).

Peso/ Dollar exchange rates I saw posted at stations ranged from a high of 19.15 pesos to the dollar to a low of 18.00:1. This makes the cost of gas pretty close to a dollar per liter... and 3.785 liters to the gallon would give an average cost at $3.79 dollars per gallon, or about 50 cents or more higher than on the American side in San Diego.... Arco in Escondido was $3.03/ gal yesterday and Costco I heard was about 10 cents less.

I will have a few more photos in my Trip Report.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2019 at 09:43 AM

Dim lighting, no heat,... I do not plan to stay at cactus to do an assessment, Dk just told me all I need to know!

Great, please stay anywhere else!

The rooms were looking wonderful, beds comfortable, and nice pillows, too. There are three lights that are bright and illuminate the room well:
The center fan light (which is adjustable dimmer); the small table light; the bathroom sink light.
The others are dim but there are many of them and after you are in your room, they seem to get brighter. I think it is the adjusting of one's eyes and not the lights themselves as they are likely all LED now.

I could not get the heater to come on with the thermostat on the wall. I told the young lady at the front desk (who gave me a remote), but the remote didn't work it or I couldn't figure it out. I really didn't need the heater Sunday night, so I didn't ask for a portable unit. I slept well and did not get cold in the morning, either.

The bed, pillows, and blankets were great. I was in Room 105 (a double) and the host of the show got 101. We had 11 rooms in all for the 11 people in the crew, including the Mexican film liaison/ fixer, a security guard, and a third fellow who had drinks and snacks always for anyone plus other things he did to help.

I did try to see how the room's TV worked and could not figure out the remote to get beyond the operating menu start screen (I was there just after Antonio installed the new flat screens in October 2017, with Dish Network 60+ channels, and it was fine). It was late, we had a great meal and drinks at Mama Espinoza's (The Crab Soup was terrific and full of crab meat), and I needed sleep, so I did not pursue getting the TV to come on.

The new (future Baja Cactus restaurant) building between the motel and the highway totally blocks any highway noise from the rooms and I never heard a truck or any jake brake.

I am trying to give honest and complete answers but am not sheltering problems. You guys know Antonio is my friend (he is a friend to all Nomads) so I want to also focus on the good. The tv crew I was guiding (who stay all over the world in good hotels) said that their stay at Baja Cactus was far more enjoyable than the Marriott high rise in Tijuana and they will happily stay there again.

The toll booths we used (Rosarito and near Ensenada) were both closed southbound and only the near-Ensenada one was closed northbound (Rosarito was open). When closed, there were friendly protestors with banners and asking for donations... This was not just government closed toll booths. Seemed obvious that the protestors being there caused the toll both workers to not cross the picketer's line.

hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 01:09 PM

Big ass pothole at the top of the grade northbound from Maneadero to Chapultepec. Its over a foot deep so stay in the fast or far left lane or go off pavement all the way to the right. They filled it yesterday with sand but that wont last. Friend bent two rims on their rig two days ago as the abyss is hidden in a puddle. Safe Travels
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2019 at 04:40 PM

Ha! We hit a big hole at speed and thought we broke something but didn't! We were southbound, however.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.