Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AOPA Article on Flying to Baja
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2019 at 12:31 AM
AOPA Article on Flying to Baja

Nice article from the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assn. magazine on a flying trip from San Diego to Loreto. Familiar to pilots who have flown to Baja for years is the drastic reduction in the available airstrips available in Baja today. Also the huge number of cumbersome regulations when flying to be complied with on both sides of the border. I was surprised to see Mexican customs hit the AOPA photographer for a US$80 fee for his drone supposedly to insure it wouldn’t be sold in Mexico. Non refundable when leaving of course. Anyone run into this drone fee yet?

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2019/march/pilo...
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-22-2019 at 12:50 AM

Nice thanks.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-22-2019 at 10:24 AM

I used to fly my 172 Cutlass down there a lot when we were racing
Too much hassle now, plus so many closed strips

Good friend of mine, medical doc, flew regular medical teams down for years.
A few years back he neglected to call into the US immigration folks in Calexico on time, guess he called in when departing Mexicali

$5000 (US) fine, non negotiable, he never went back...
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-22-2019 at 12:58 PM

Flying isn't getting easier north of border either. It never get's easier.
I am imagining there is still a right way to do this and have fun.
I think I will be able to make my pre-entry call on time... especially if it costs $5000 to do it wrong.
Doctors are not known to be the best pilots...
I do however have the greatest respect for medical staff who fly down to volunteer and help people in Baja.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.