BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: el imposible trip report 2/4 (Matomi Wash/Matomi Canyon)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 2-22-2019 at 08:08 AM
el imposible trip report 2/4 (Matomi Wash/Matomi Canyon)

el imposible - Matomi Wash/Matomi Canyon

Our group spent two restful nights in San Felipe that provided us opportunities to sample local seafood delicacies both on the Malecón (at Del Mar, Taco Factory, and Rice and Beans) as well as through local grocers selling locally sourced shellfish. Billy and Karen's birthdays were celebrated poolside back at the Diamante. Rich led our group to the Matomi Wash, and through the challenging Matomi narrows.

The San Felipe desert is in the midst of a superbloom - the grounds and desert forests are carpeted with purple, white and yellow wildflowers. We passed these colorful pockets along with majestic stands of Cardón at the junction with Matomi Wash and Matomi Canyon. Many of the bright hues disappeared once inside the more rocky Matomi Wash, although some endemic Bottlebrush were able to germinate and flower near the trail. Considering it's reputation the Matomi is a worthy component to the impossible route. Scenic cactus gardens gave way to sand and rocky paths with multiple options for our six capably prepared Jeep and Toyota vehicles that were on today's run. Victor's exceptionally built two door JK on 38” BFG KM2s ran an optional line through a rock garden, giving pause to the rest of the drivers as rocks needed to be stacked due to his rig being high-centered, unable to self extract. His winchline was eventually used, pulling him down the large pile of rocks that blocked his rockcrawlers path.

Once past the sand-covered rock gardens, we drove about 15 miles through deep pockets of sand that could easily stop any modern, car-based SUV dead in its tracks. Sharp rocks jetted out of fine, powderlike sand while sharp thorns from dried brush threatened all but the most utilitarian 4x4 tire sidewalls.

The last 18 miles of Matomi canyon saw the red buttes, dotted with ubiquitous stands of Cardón fade into the more well-known, idyllic beach scenery seen north of the Puertecitos area.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-22-2019 at 12:42 PM

Thanks Ken. Looking forward to everyones pictures
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-22-2019 at 12:50 PM

Sounds cool.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 11:06 PM
San Felipe downtime

We selected San Felipe for two nights of downtime in between runs. Our Jeeps were beat up and needed some repairs.

Our route:

Victor's Control Arm mount (bolt) was broken and his steering was sloppy, necessitating his Jeep getting worked on while the rest of us went to the boardwalk (Malecon) for some sightseeing and to buy some souvenirs. It was Billys 72nd birthday, so Leidys and I went gift shopping for him and Karen (whose birthday was on the 25th).

Breakfast along the Malecon looked like this.

Selfie inside of Rice and Beans

Breakfast crew at Rice and Beans

Sightseeing in San Felipe
Inside of Rockodile

While grocery shopping we spotted Rich T's wife Cathy!

Dinner tasted fantastic over a hot flame! Our Sockeye Salmon was kept perfectly frozen in the back of my Dometic 65 quart dual zone Fridge/Freezer.

Victor made steaks for himself and Ellie

The jukebox had TONS of Latin Music! I chose the classic Aniceto Molina - you can never go wrong with the classics!

Later that evening, we celebrated back at the hotel with some BBQ, Karaoke and Birthday cake!

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

[Edited on 3-2-2019 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 11:10 PM

The full moon was intense! Like a spotlight on all of San Felipe!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 11:15 PM

The morning of our Matomi Wash/Matomi Canyon trek had us meet at the Pemex furthest out of town. There, I disconnected my front sway bar and everyone else aired down their tires.

Billy received the very last 2017 Pole Line Road t-shirt and a San Felipe coffee mug for his birthday. He looked happy to be in Baja with all of us. On the right is Rich T.

Karen (left) talking to Cathy (inside of the Jeep) about the day's runs.

David (6 Wheelin) had a special tool to perfectly proportion the amount of air between left and right sides of his 4 Runner.

Everyone had something to talk about on this early morning.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 01:07 AM

Keep it coming!:light::bounce::cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 11:01 PM

The trail to Matomi Wash is a long, bumpy, dusty ride. I am sure this is what blew out my Pro Comp MX-6 shock absorber. Hours of bump, bump, bump! But it was sure worth it!

[Edited on 3-2-2019 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 11:04 PM

During our lunch stop, I examined the rocks and boulders in the area for evidence of past civilizations in the area.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 11:11 PM

Into Matomi Narrows

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 12:12 AM

Nice to see you guys get through. That was where I turned around in 2017. I was hoping to see sand re-covering the boulders but not yet. They still look as tall! In 2006, it was all covered with sand and an easy passage. In 1979, it was big rocks. The sand in the narrows rises and falls through the years.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 12:25 AM

Victor gets into trouble

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 10:36 AM

What is the reason you think was why Victor got hung up (other than poor spotting) but the 4Runner (longer rig) didn't?
I see open differentials, so no lockers... but he was a tad too "passenger" and high centered.

Thanks for the videos... Matomí is the extreme!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 12:38 PM

Off line. He straddled the big rock instead of putting his tire on it.
Wheelbase comparison
Above TJ 93.4", Rich's LJ 103.4 +37s, Paul's LJ 104.5" +35s, 4Runner 103.4 or 109.8", Cherokee 101.4, JK 4 door 116". Ken's TJ 93.4".
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 12:48 PM

I just heard from Ken, yes, Victor took a more difficult line and the others took the better one but I think (armchair quarterbacking, lol) he wasn't spotted correctly and if he went more Driver instead of turning Passenger it would have been a success. Glad to see the Toyota help as a solid anchor for the winch!

All and all, this kind of stuff is exactly what makes four wheeling so special and a good job to Ken for the choices.

Are there more photos or videos of the Pioneer Mine Trail? Did you guys take photos of the 120+ year old gold mine?

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for the off road photos -- fun stuff. I've tagged the videos to watch tonight on the big screen in the garage.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 01:38 PM

I did not see anything on the winch cable to keep it from whip-lashing if it broke. Not smart from a safety standpoint. A coat, towel etc. most anything will do.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I did not see anything on the winch cable to keep it from whip-lashing if it broke. Not smart from a safety standpoint. A coat, towel etc. most anything will do.

No, but they did all did stand way back like if someone was lighting a stick of dynamite! :O:wow::light:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 03:46 PM

It didn't look like the hook was fully in on the other vehicle if that had broken it could come back and hit the windshield of the Jeep and may have hurt the driver. Always put something on a winch cable to dampen it.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
was there alcohol involved?
https://www.facebook.com/lupesracing/videos/2142061479194756...

the laughter is priceless!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.