BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: el imposible trip report 2/4 (Matomi Wash/Matomi Canyon)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 09:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What is the reason you think was why Victor got hung up (other than poor spotting) but the 4Runner (longer rig) didn't?
I see open differentials, so no lockers... but he was a tad too "passenger" and high centered.

Thanks for the videos... Matomí is the extreme!

No poor spotting was involved. The rock and the frame rails were an exact fit for high-centering Victors Jeep. Although his tires were touching the rocks below, there was not enough weight on the tires to pull his Jeep over and away from the rocks. His locking differentials were working.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 09:16 PM

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 05:35 AM

Fun...

I saw only one tire per axle spin on Victor's video (no locker) and if he turned Driver I think that would keep him from dropping off the square boulder which high centered him. But, I wasn't there... and in the end, all went well.

A successful group trip, congratulations Ken.
Do you still have clothing for sale you made for the run?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 05:02 PM

Fun...

I saw only one tire per axle spin on Victor's video (no locker) and if he turned Driver I think that would keep him from dropping off the square boulder which high centered him. But, I wasn't there... and in the end, all went well.

A successful group trip, congratulations Ken.
Do you still have clothing for sale you made for the run?

I don't think that Victor saw an advantage to using his front locker. Binding a front axle is a good way to break it. Although he is running RCV axles, it's still foolish to use front lockers when a tire is bound up. The winch line pulled Victor's Jeep out of the rock garden and we continued on.

I still have tshirts from the run. I'm making a few additional hoodies as there were requests for me to make more. I'll place that info on the Classified thread asap.

6WHEELN

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 07:08 PM

After Matomi we camped on the beach at Campo La Poma.

The night was a little breezy but dawn brought a stunning rainbow:

Clear views of the Islas Encantadas:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 08:57 AM

Thank you, beautiful photos 6WHEELN... Welcome to Baja Nomad! You have a great Baja rig there! What year 4Runner?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

6WHEELN

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 11:19 AM

Thank you, beautiful photos 6WHEELN... Welcome to Baja Nomad! You have a great Baja rig there! What year 4Runner?

Thanks for the welcome!

4Runner is a 2004. I look forward to many more trips to Baja.
Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 12:08 PM

Ran a Detroit Locker in the front of my CJ7 With a Dana 44 for years , never had a problem with axles . If he had locked the front I think he could have got through .Ran Rubicon, Fordice , Snake Lake . Just sayin .
Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 12:10 PM

Ran a Detroit Locker in the front of my CJ7 With a Dana 44 for years , never had a problem with axles . If he had locked the front I think he could have got through .Ran Rubicon, Fordice , Snake Lake . Just sayin .
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 12:27 PM

I am not getting it either... Ken posted another trip video where he was in the bottom of a gully... and rather than use the factory front locker, he got winched out. It is his Jeep, so he should always do what he is comfortable doing... but what if there was no winch and nobody around to strap to? Is the factory Jeep locker so fragile? If yes, shouldn't Jeep use one that won't break so easily?

Welcome to Nomad Percebu Rzr! Keep a close eye on my Shell Island! I miss not being there!!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 12:38 PM

Depends on model.
TJs are weak. JKs are stronger. JLs are even stronger.
Upgrade to alloy axles on a TJ and you get the strongest of all.
Then there is the locking device. TJ Rubicons have a weak device front & rear. Later models are pretty good.
Rock crawling users find this all out the hard way.
Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 07:34 PM

I agree if you gotem use em , if not why have lockers ????? I think I read that he has aftermarket stronger axles in the front of his Jeep . I broke a rear axle one time when I was on the Rubicon trail , but that was because I put 39.5 " tires on. Found out the hard way that about 35" tires are about the max that a Dana 44 can handle.

Will be heading down the first week in April , I will definitely check on Shell Island for you David .
Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 07:47 PM

I agree if you gotem use em , if not why have lockers ????? I think I read that he has aftermarket stronger axles in the front of his Jeep . I broke a rear axle one time when I was on the Rubicon trail , but that was because I put 39.5 " tires on. Found out the hard way that about 35" tires are about the max that a Dana 44 can handle.

Will be heading down the first week in April , I will definitely check on Shell Island for you David .
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Perceburzr  

The problem was the Jeep was high-centered. The tires were just rubbing the rocks below without gaining any traction. The winch cable is what got him out.

Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 09:01 PM

I get it ,but if you got em lock em.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Perceburzr  
I get it ,but if you got em lock em.

I told Victor the same. He said his rear axle was locked. All 4 tires were barely touching, so zero traction.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 09:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Depends on model.
TJs are weak. JKs are stronger. JLs are even stronger.
Upgrade to alloy axles on a TJ and you get the strongest of all.
Then there is the locking device. TJ Rubicons have a weak device front & rear. Later models are pretty good.
Rock crawling users find this all out the hard way.

Victor's RCV axles on his JK work pretty well. He was careful, but with all of the weight plus running massive 38" tires, he had to be very careful at all times. We were in some far removed areas to be foolish with the throttle, David. Just my take.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2019 at 09:14 PM

No more Matomi photos..

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.