Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SENTRI trailer question
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-24-2019 at 08:50 AM
SENTRI trailer question

I know that if you have a trailer, RV, etc. with lots of stuff SENTRI lane is not an option. My father in law wants to take a bunch of stuff down to his BCS house and will cross back into the USA with an EMPTY trailer. Is that acceptable for SENTRI crossing? Anyone have experience with that?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-24-2019 at 08:53 AM

Nope, not allowed. Read the SENTRI requirements

[Edited on 2-24-2019 by bajaguy]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-24-2019 at 08:56 AM

No trailers in sentri lane. Empty or full, the answer is no.

Use the readi lane.

[Edited on 2-24-2019 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2019 at 08:58 AM

You would think that if the trailer is clearly empty, that it wouldn't be a problem. However, it is noted in the Sentri rules that no trailers are allowed. I wouldn't want to risk losing my Sentri pass on it. As most of us know, the border officers aren't very flexible on the rules. He could try it and if he is lucky, he might get away with a warning...

Good luck!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-24-2019 at 10:09 AM

Thanks for confirming - I was pretty sure but dad (he is 83...) wanted to double check.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2019 at 10:14 AM

Empty trailers are suspicious.
Take an empty flatbed trailer north and expect an inspection for hidden drugs or other contraband. That is not possible for Sentri lane.
Same story going south and using the no declare line. They will be suspicious and want to inspect the trailer.
Sometimes
AZ7000
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2019 at 11:54 AM

I submitted our 23' itasca navion for an endorsement on our Sentri and it was approved... nervous to try it with a trail 90 on the hitch but I won't know unless I do. Trying to get through on the phone is useless in my experience.

Anyone with any insight on this?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-26-2019 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AZ7000  
I submitted our 23' itasca navion for an endorsement on our Sentri and it was approved... nervous to try it with a trail 90 on the hitch but I won't know unless I do. Trying to get through on the phone is useless in my experience.

Try it! What could go wrong? Worst case, they yank your sentri; if you are retired, the extra time In slow lane is probably no big deal, eh?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 10:37 PM

I've hauled motorcycles on my hitch carrier with no problems in Sentri lane.
Bajavanadu
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Try it! What could go wrong? Worst case, they yank your sentri; if you are retired, the extra time In slow lane is probably no big deal, eh?

Some friends had their dodge ram van rv conversion added onto sentri without problem. Another friend uses sentri with his four wheel camper (pop up truck camper). I just purchased a four wheel camper and will be using it in the senrti lane soon and will report back.
AZ7000
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 12:35 PM

I got through to both the San Luis and the Calexico offices. Calexico stated MH's and busses need to go to the right lane regardless so no dice. San Luis checked with his supervisor and said if approved and I can make the turn then no problem. They suggested I bring a printout of the approval and don't have a lot of "bags" as its is a quick inspection line. I stated all the stuff would be in the cabinets, got the supervisors name and may give it a try on the 22nd!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 02:20 PM

I got through to both the San Luis and the Calexico offices. Calexico stated MH's and busses need to go to the right lane regardless so no dice. San Luis checked with his supervisor and said if approved and I can make the turn then no problem. They suggested I bring a printout of the approval and don't have a lot of "bags" as its is a quick inspection line. I stated all the stuff would be in the cabinets, got the supervisors name and may give it a try on the 22nd!

Let us know if it works... Weird that they would approve it since it is not obvious to see everything quickly. But, even if you use Sentri and if you get sent to secondary, it would still be quicker than the regular lanes.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
AZ7000
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2019 at 02:43 PM

We brought the 12' enclosed trailer, no Sentri for us but only a quick visual in the trailer at Algodones and we rolled through.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 06:09 PM

I lost lost my Sentri pass and just ordered a new one. No idea how long it's gonna take to get the replacement.

Anyone know if you can cross over w/o the actual card?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AZ7000
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 12:14 PM

So I did it... San Luis, about 10 cars back, I have the print out showing the Navion registered, the supervisors name I spoke to, and my Global entry ready and no loose bags inside. I made the last right turn and there I see the pipe hanging from chains that show clearance of 8'9" and I'm not going to make that but can't go anywhere else, the guy said the pipe was new but there are no other low roofs so they never knew why... The guy asked, "you got this approved by SENTRI?" I replied yes, showed the print out and obviously I got sent to secondary. So as I dragged the pipe over my roof, solar, skylight, antennas, AC, bathroom skylight, and it ripped off the black tank vent that had a shark fin topper.

The first two guys sent me to the side, 2 other cars getting inspected, they were cleared then a few more came in and they didn't come my way but kept checking the cars, spite??? After I got verbal with a few of them, called them out a bit to the reply "this isn't walmart, its not first come first serve", after about 25 min one of the ding dongs came over and said you can't take this through sentri, I stated "you approved it". He said you didn't register it right and I showed him the print out, Itasca Navion 23J, 2007. He said "I'm not going to argue with you, you can't take it through Sentri". I said that I had the same concern, called and asked and spoke to Officer _______ and he said if it was approved i could try and we all could figure it out, he stated have a print out and my name. The guy said again you can't take this through.

He had me open all the compartments the hood, leave my cell phone and go have a seat. He walked around and inside for about 30 seconds then disappeared (again for spite??). After about 20 min I asked another officer if he could see what was up with the MH, he just got on shift and was still nice. He came back, stated a sentri issue and they were calling the supervisor whose name I provided.

Ten minutes later the original bad ass opened the door and called my name. I walked up, he didn't look at me and handed me my card and stated "you are free to go". No inspection and no guidance as to yes or no for the next time, however I'm not dragging that pipe across the roof again. So, successful??? Sort of. Will I do it again? Pretty sure I won't...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.