Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Airing Down heavy duty tires
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 02:57 PM

When I lived in Italy the kids in Naples used to sell Italian air in sealed cans to tourists.

Guess you could sell gallon cans of Mexican air for off-road tires and 8 oz cans for street tires.

Ray
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vespaio  
Guess you could sell gallon cans of Mexican air for off-road tires and 8 oz cans for street tires.

Maybe liter cans would be more appropriate?

John
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 03:13 PM

I stand corrected.

Ray
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

the softest sand I know of in Baja is at the north end of San Francisquito.
a few years back a good friend of mine needed to bring a trailer to San Francisquito

The softest I've seen is in the Seven Sisters. The dunes near Punta Lobos and Cono.

Was flying up a steep sand hill on the bike. Going about 25-30 mph. The front tire just went straight into the sand and I flew over the handle bars.

Even on the flat places a bike can just stink right in.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 07:59 PM

Here's an instructional video how to drive 4x4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcTTPV9JmIE
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
2-5-2020 at 09:45 PM
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 10:05 PM

I am always breaking out sweat when I see videos like that.
Not one word is useful in real life.

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 10:24 PM

The great German 4x4 Mercedes-phile gas bag has spoken! hear ye! Hear ye!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 04:20 AM

Much of the video describes what "not to do" and finally what works well, which can be summarized as use the right gear, often low gear, and drive slowly, steadily and consistently, take time to prewalk and plan tough or blind sections.

Maybe the last rule is don't take a Mercedes off road?
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 07:22 AM

Harald,

Was Karl's trailer the one that overturned on a trip down there a few years back?

Ray
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Here's an instructional video how to drive 4x4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcTTPV9JmIE

Land Rover this year came out with a new defender line of vehicles. Fancy car for fancy pants offroaders. Perhaps much better than the Mercedes G (glam) wagon, eh?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 10:19 AM

Sorry on that Land Rover breaks down before you get off road. True junk always has been of course you would not know that.
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 10:27 AM

It's interesting, if sad, to read the digs members camouflage as simple comments, but to give credit where it's deserved, I'm one of the thousands to whom Harald taught off-road driving skills on one of the toughest trails in the US--the Rubicon. I and my wife usually travel alone where we shouldn't, and his training got me out of trouble twice and probably saved my life once. As a result, I could care less what he drives, but I do appreciate his opinions, even if he can be a little crusty at times.

Ray
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 11:03 AM

Harald,

Was Karl's trailer the one that overturned on a trip down there a few years back?

yup

stuck, overturned, sold

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 11:09 AM

It's interesting, if sad, to read the digs members camouflage as simple comments, but to give credit where it's deserved, I'm one of the thousands to whom Harald taught off-road driving skills on one of the toughest trails in the US--the Rubicon. I and my wife usually travel alone where we shouldn't, and his training got me out of trouble twice and probably saved my life once. As a result, I could care less what he drives, but I do appreciate his opinions, even if he can be a little crusty at times.

Thank you!

I am German. We have crusty in our genes.
I have mellowed down in 25 years Hotel California.
Sincerely apologize to early students I made cry.

Harald Pietschmann
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 12:00 PM

I never cried, but an act of violence did cross my mind on one occasion. ;)

Ray
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 01:09 PM

when considering tire pressure be sure to completely ignore what the vehicle manufacturer, as well as the tire maker, recommends. what do those fancy pants college boy engineers know?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 02:01 PM

With the factory installed tires, go by the factory recommendations, WHEN on PAVEMENT.

I think we are mostly discussing off-highway driving.

Also, if you change the factory provided tires to a different type or size, then the "Chalk Test" is the most accurate method for ideal pressure (on pavement).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Also, if you change the factory provided tires to a different type or size, then the "Chalk Test" is the most accurate method for ideal pressure (on pavement).

how do you define "most accurate?"

i think the better solution is to use the load and inflation tables.

i suspect the chalk test done on used tires may be inaccurate (may work better on new tires with no existing differential wear of tread).

for large tires, i suspect the chalk test will at times give you a too-low pressure, leading you to run underinflated tires, which would run warmer and possibly damage or wear out your tires faster.

one of you tire air pressure nerds should do a chalk test on your tires inflated to the pressure dictated by the load and inflation tables, and tell us how the results compare :light:

Woke!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 03:13 PM

Oh goat, you are so much fun, sometimes.
The chalk test shows over or under inflation, period. The age, wear, or type of tire has no bearing on it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2020 at 08:34 PM

It's interesting, if sad, to read the digs members camouflage as simple comments, ...

Perhaps if some people were polite and not rude to others they would receive more positive feedback?
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.