Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Airing Down heavy duty tires
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2019 at 09:54 PM

Thanks guys. Gonna have to do the chalk test. Never heard of it before. I knew Les Schwab was over inflating my tires!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-24-2019 at 11:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  
Thanks guys. Gonna have to do the chalk test. Never heard of it before. I knew Les Schwab was over inflating my tires!

From 2012:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/chalk-test-dynapro-atm-a...

I began running them at 37 psi (they are rated at 44 max), and after the chalk test I dropped to 35 psi, but dropped one more psi so 34 is the sweet spot. The chalk is the kind they sell for kids to mark up sidewalks... graffiti training!

The stock BFGs were rated for 36 max (I think) and Toyota recommended 29 front and 32 rear. The Hankook DynaPros are a far better tire than the BFG Rugged Trail TAs and rated for more weight, etc.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2019 at 07:34 AM

If you have one of those IR thermometers that shoot a beam, or one for steaks and such with a small sharp point, you can use that too. That's what we do for figuring PSI for racecare tires. After driving at freeway speeds for a several miles, just stop and shoot the left, middle, and right side of the tires. Hot center is over inflated, hot sides is under inflated. Pretty quick and easy.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-25-2019 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
If you have one of those IR thermometers that shoot a beam, or one for steaks and such with a small sharp point, you can use that too. That's what we do for figuring PSI for racecare tires. After driving at freeway speeds for a several miles, just stop and shoot the left, middle, and right side of the tires. Hot center is over inflated, hot sides is under inflated. Pretty quick and easy.

works very well
chalk line is much faster

for the German accuracy freaks among you - I would combine the 2 methods
start with setting psi according to chalk line
then fine tune with a freeway run and the infrared temp meter

Harald Pietschmann
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-25-2019 at 09:11 AM

I'm using d rated 33s. Dirt all off road 16psi. Road street 26 psi. Hope this helps
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2019 at 09:19 AM

Now - how fast can you go with deflated tires?

You just played around at Davids Shell Beach with 10 psi in your tires
then you run out of beer and need to drive to San Felipe
not on the beach like in the old days, but on pavement
20 miles
do you have to pump your tires back to 30, or can you just go get beer on 10 psi for 40 miles roundtrip?
soft tires flex a lot
the faster you go the more ften your tire flexes per minute
that creates heat - heat will destroy your tires

I had the same problem for years after finishing trips on the Rubicon Trail
another 40 miles of pavement needed to be covered to get back home

an average of 40 mph with brief peaks of 60 mph worked just fine
for the last 30 years

to make sure your tire is not getting too hot use the back of your hand (the back of your hands s more temp sensitive than your fingertips) and test the sidewalls

so, you don't have to always re-inflate your tires when hitting pavement
especially important for people without a compressor or a broken compressor (they tend to do that)
you can drive to the next gas station even if it is 100 miles away
just keep your speed down

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-25-2019 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Shell Island... ;)

Isla San Martin

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 12:19 PM

Harald,

Regarding tire pressure in an off-road trailer. I've heard both options:

1. Air down. This seems to me to be counter productive since airing down will increase the footprint, increasing the traction, making the towing vehicle work harder.

2. Don't air down. This would seem to decrease the trailer's traction, making it easier to tow.

Both options were told to me by the same person over a period of months. Obviously one is less correct than the other.

Your opinion?
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 12:53 PM

"Traction" is not the issue. That is for the drive axles on your tow vehicle.
You want "flotation" in the soft stuff (sand, silt, mud). Air down your trailer tires. That increases the tire footprint, helping it float, with less resistance for the tow vehicle.
Towing a trailer through sand without airing down is like dragging an anchor behind you.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 01:17 PM

Additional benefits of airing down tires off road:
The tires will absorb some of the shock from ruts and bumps, making less strain on the trailer components and contents. Lower air pressure makes it less likely to get punctures/blowouts due to sharp rocks. However, airing down too much may expose the sidewalls to punctures/damage.
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 01:53 PM

It all makes sense, so airing down it will be. Since the trailer will have street tires, sidewall damage is always a possibility.

Thanks.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 02:29 PM

It all depends on the load! When I pull my off road trailer behind my Kia Sportage, I run the same wheels and tires on the car and trailer (225/75/15).

Since both the car and camping stuff is a light load, I run 24 psi in the Kia, and 10 psi in the trailer to get the same foot print. That is on pavement, offroad I drop the Kia psi as needed, but don't mess with the trailer anymore.

An almost flat tire is easier to pull through sand than a fully inflated one that will be pushing a sand berm ahead of it, so that you are always trying to climb out of a hole!

For what it is worth, I have hauled a 300 gallon water tank in that trailer, and only had to go up to 15 psi to carry that load (2400 lbs)!

I followed over 500 miles of the Baja 1000 course with that set up, and 10 psi keeps the trailer from flying around so much on all the whoops, topes and vados!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2020 at 10:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vespaio  
Harald,

Regarding tire pressure in an off-road trailer. I've heard both options:

1. Air down. This seems to me to be counter productive since airing down will increase the footprint, increasing the traction, making the towing vehicle work harder.

2. Don't air down. This would seem to decrease the trailer's traction, making it easier to tow.

Both options were told to me by the same person over a period of months. Obviously one is less correct than the other.

Your opinion?

when it comes to tire pressure, there are a lot of opinions

here is the knowledge:
on anything soft you must increase the footprint of the animal
Camels have very big feet for that reason
humans learned to use snow shoes and ski

if you don't
you will sink in
that makes moving forward harder or impossible

the softest sand I know of in Baja is at the north end of San Francisquito.
a few years back a good friend of mine needed to bring a trailer to San Francisquito
he aired down after he got stuck
he remained stuck because he did not air down the trailer tires
remember: Camel ?
he was moving just fine once all tires had appropriate footprint for the condition

traction is not involved - more footprint reduces resistance

as you can see looking at the tire prints in front of Karl's rig, the rest of the group only left shallow imprints and moved easily over the soft sand.
Karl's tires, however, are sunken in very deep (about 20psi) and he can't proceed
and the off-road anchor (trailer) did not help either

karl800 copy.jpg - 208kB

sunken.jpg - 238kB

Harald Pietschmann
vespaio
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 07:30 AM

As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words." I'm convinced.

Thanks, Ray
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 08:11 AM

Here is another one for sand: Drive as straight as possible!
Even with deflated tires.
Driving straight makes the rear tires follow in the same already compacted sand channel the front tires have created.
With the right (low) tire pressure you are just cruising along.
But by initiating a turn, the rear tires leave that front tire channel and each of them will now create their own rear tire channel and thus will have to doze a small berm of sand in front of them.
That increases the resistance by 100%.
Increasing the chance to get stuck.
The tighter the turn the higher the resistance.

Of course you can't avoid turn forever - but be gentle

straight.jpg - 100kB

turn.jpg - 110kB

Harald Pietschmann
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 08:47 AM

I drove close to 300 miles of dirt FS roads in Wyoming last summer with tires at 20 psi cold (24 psi hot). Lots of small sharp rocks in many areas. Did not have one flat tire the entire trip, but did repair 3 other's flat tires, none of whom was driving on deflated tires. Normal highway inflation for me is 34 psi cold.

Good enough proof to me that deflation helps prevent flats.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 09:14 AM
Deep sand

Before and after deflation of tires in 4WD (34 psi to 15 psi):

Human foot prints go deeper into sand than the truck with deflated tires:

Tires are Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/75-16 (44 psi max)

As noted above, deflating of graded dirt roads will improve the ride and reduce flats... I had for years refused to air down except for sand and would get many flats from sharp rocks (I like to drive fast)! Going from 34 psi down to 20 psi has almost eliminated flats for me. Going slower helps too... It also assists in traction when climbing tough, steep grades.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 10:05 AM

the air in your tires is the most underrated tool for safe, trouble free off road travel
but you can not mount it on your roof rack to show off

Harald Pietschmann
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Here is another one for sand: Drive as straight as possible!
Even with deflated tires.
Driving straight makes the rear tires follow in the same already compacted sand channel the front tires have created.
With the right (low) tire pressure you are just cruising along.
But by initiating a turn, the rear tires leave that front tire channel and each of them will now create their own rear tire channel and thus will have to doze a small berm of sand in front of them.
That increases the resistance by 100%.
Increasing the chance to get stuck.
The tighter the turn the higher the resistance.

Of course you can't avoid turn forever - but be gentle

This is one of the best tips, drive straight don't turn in the sand, and when you do turn plan where you going to turn to ensure it isn't deep sand.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2020 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
the air in your tires is the most underrated tool for safe, trouble free off road travel
but you can not mount it on your roof rack to show off

im going to have to come up with some aftermarket "overlanding" air that u can mount on ur rack after u take it out of your tires

will sell like hotcakes

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.