Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Rancho Santa Ines near Catavina
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 12:00 PM
Rancho Santa Ines near Catavina

Please.....

Looking for any and all information about the campground there.
28' travel trailer with tow vehicle for an overnighter.

I think there is a restaurant there?....still operational?

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 12:19 PM

Yes just dirt lot
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Yes just dirt lot

Works for me....thank you

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 12:29 PM

It's really not a "campground" but a very large open area to camp. You could fit a battleship in if you wanted. No restaurant, no nuttin. To me, it feels a little spooky when I camp alone there, it's isolated and very dark. It's definitely in my mind and never have heard of any problems. If there are no other campers there it can be very, very quiet and you can hear the sounds of the desert quite well, coyotes, etc.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 12:51 PM

Ken Cooke was just there a few days ago and paid them for access to the Mission Santa María road. There has historically been a restaurant and bunk rooms there. The owner liked to spell it Santa Ynez we have been told. Americans lease lots and live in the area. The late Marv Patchen was one and wrote a book about the guest book he had visitors sign in his. A paved runway is there for pilots. This was a popular pit stop and Baja race checkpoint. The president of Mexico slept here during his campaign trip and promised to build a highway before his term ended. He kept that promise and also paved the Santa Ynez driveway and air strip in 1973.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 02:23 PM

The road in is broken pavement so it can be a little slow and bumpy for the 3/4 mile drive in. Someone will come by to collect a few dollars for camping. They used to have some food available (calling it a restaurant is a stretch) but in recent years never seems available.

Side note... I believe the Ranch charging for passage to the Mission road may be a effort to raise money to maintain the access road from Hy 1 to the Ranch more then the roads beyond the ranch.

Bruce
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 03:18 PM

We camped there in January on the way down. Surprisingly they had Wifi.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 04:44 PM
In 2017 (March & June)

===================================================================
June:

[Edited on 12-20-2023 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 05:08 PM

Thanks....

Fits my needs just fine....

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 05:11 PM

Anyone know if Ralph still lives behind the ranch in the stone house he built? I believe it was Ralph.... might've been Marv..... comes around every evening (when he wasn't in El Centro) on his ATV.

Loved the guy; took me and my better half to several pictograph sites after he found I had an interest, showed me his property. First night in the campo circa 1995 I marveled at the night sky.... been desert camping all my life, but Sta. Ynez took the cake... he said "Dave, close your eyes and take a deep breath", to which I did. Before I exhaled he said, "the last person to breathe that air spoke Chinese!"

I laughed my tail off.

The restaurant was ''spartan'' to say the least, but one must realize it was a RANCHO eatery. Food was rustic, but filling, and the Pacifico's very cold. Probably my favorite pit stop on the trail. Views incredible, spend an extra day and walk the vado. Blue fan palms the only endemic palm in Baja.

Used to was, the water spigot at the entrance was agua dulce, but no more. Too many cows have spoiled the aquifer. I used to fill my water jugs there on the way south, but never again. The place has definitely deteriorated since the Good Ol' Daze, but still always worthy of a star-lit sky. In the winter, pack extra blankets. Late spring, bug juice; the bobo's are tough.

edit: Oh yeah, stayed in the bunk house one August night. I swear it was Goldilock's bear cabin; 3 beds; one was waaay too soft, another waaay to hard, and the third just right. Slept like a DOT man at work. :coolup:

[Edited on 3-1-2019 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 05:15 PM

Here's a photo sphere I took at Santa Inés -- click and drag to look around.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 05:35 PM

I was looking for the photo of the sign at the highway that read: 'GOOD FUD' (food).

About the ranch spelling, it is one of those Baja places that that has several ways to spell it, and no one is 100% correct, lol!
Proper Spanish is: Santa Inés
Owner's preference: Santa Ynez
Also on the property: Santa Inez
then the million gringo versions:
Santa Innes
Santa Ynes.
Santa Innez
etc. etc.

Yes, it is Ralph S. who lives there and is a HAM radio operator. I have not met him. Marv and Aletha Patchen's cabin is east of the runway and our own Graham has been a frequent guest. His entries into the logbook are the most published in Marv's book...

The book is for sale at www.oldmissions.com (scroll down).

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 05:47 PM

DK, if you haven't met Ralph yet I highly recommend it. He's a pilot, did lots of search and rescue and aid flights for Cataviña, a wonderful and gentle soul. Dunno his schedule (if at all any more) but truly an 'alternate' camp host. A true plethora of information on the area, including the mission, etc. He's rescued several intrepid 4-wheelers who've attempted the drive in with improper equipment and insufficient gear. Great guide, great guy. Also has his own guest register in his house which I signed a couple of times.

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 05:57 PM

I would enjoy that, for sure... it just hasn't happened during the four trips I made to the mission (1999, 2003, 2007, 2010). Maybe he isn't there when I pass near his place (always around April-May)? I have not even seen his place, up close.

I have heard how he has helped many over the years and Wild Bill's lady, 'Elena la Loca', used to give us weather and news updates via HAM from Ralph.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

The restaurant was ''spartan'' to say the least, but one must realize it was a RANCHO eatery. Food was rustic, but filling, and the Pacifico's very cold. Probably my favorite pit stop on the trail. Views incredible, spend an extra day and walk the vado. Blue fan palms the only endemic palm in Baja.

When were you last there?....
Any more recent updates on the "rancho" eatery?

[Edited on 3-1-2019 by DaliDali]

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 07:41 PM

Thanks for the book links, just ordered two. I'll pick David's at the cactus next week.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 07:44 PM

Thank you! Great that you want to support the Desert Hawks in El Rosario, too!

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

When were you last there?....
Any more recent updates on the "rancho" eatery?

[Edited on 3-1-2019 by DaliDali]

Pack yer own fud, it's been half an eon since. If they still serve machaca enchiladas, or whatever.... yours will still be in the can.
The ambiance can't be beat, but la sabor can.

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 01:17 AM

When I drove in, to do a checkup, for the roadguide, the restaurant seemed closed, the shutter was down.

There were a couple of campers walking towards the ranch house they said for breakfast, as I drove away from the place and told them it didn't look promising. They did have dinner there the evening before... March 2017.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 10:47 PM

Mayra operates the restaurant at Rancho Santa Ines. (sp) Bean or Machaca burritos cost 20 pesos each. For my trip to Mission Santa Maria, I bought 6 bean burritos (salty) and Leidys bought 1 Machaca burrito.

Rumor has it that Ralph S. was back in the U.S. - his wife has been dealing with health issues is what I heard from Rich T.

[Edited on 3-2-2019 by Ken Cooke]

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.