Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pop Up Camper - Need Advice
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 09:05 AM
Pop Up Camper - Need Advice

I will be traveling Baja from North to South starting in October. I plan to be in Baja for a few months. I will be driving a newer model Toyota Tacoma Off Road 4x4. I want to pull a pop up camper. Should I choose a 2 axle camper? Is pulling a pop up camper to remote camping spots unrealistic or asking for difficulties? Thanks for any experience or insights you can share.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 09:43 AM

Pulling a pop up or tent trailer is a great way to have a home in the wilderness. You can unhook it and explore out from your base camp.

Here we are in 1965, going to Gonzaga Bay, on the original road south of Puertecitos... Jeep Wagoneer and a tent trailer in tow... The old salts at the Puertecitos cantina told my dad it couldn't be done! LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 10:45 AM

"pulling a pop up camper to remote camping spots"
Depends on your expectations of "remote". Some roads to "remote" are eroded and you pick your way over or around a ditch - possibly not being able to control where the camper wheels go. If you decide you want to turn around and not proceed on a road that has deteriorated, you need that turnaround radius. If you're by yourself, I'd go for a cab-over. You've got time to custom design some interior details like space for a secured 5-gallon water container. Maybe a little place to permanently place a propane stove, some shelving. Lateral locked tool box to store items. Leave sleeping pad in place with protective cover. You could also pack a small screen tent for nights that are too hot to sleep inside.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 10:48 AM

I have never pulled a pop up camper anywhere, but a couple of years ago I pulled my utility trailer over 500 miles of the Baja 1k course (not during the race).

If you are considering going off road, the trailer width, and clearance under the axle and overhang should equal or exceed that of your tow vehicle.

Large, soft tires are the way to go! I run the same wheels and tires on my trailer and tow vehicle, with two matching spares! Since both the trailer, and tow vehicle are carrying a small load, I run 26 psi in the towing tires, and 10 psi in the trailer rims, which significantly softens the ride!

Those are highway pressures, determined by chalk line testing. I have tubes in the trailer tires to keep from having bead leaks if I need to drop downeven more.

I also carry an extra tube in case I wind up with cactus spines in the sidewall of one of the other tires. Not an ideal repair, but it will get you home!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 11:12 AM

We pull a Fleetwood E2 popup trailer on Baja dirt roads. It's considerably stronger than most popups with full sized off road tires and lots of ground clearance. There are the limitations with regard to turning around etc. but the ground clearance let's it get most places your truck can get.

[Edited on 3-2-2019 by ncampion]

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 01:44 PM

Thank you all for these very helpful responses!
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 02:06 PM

You wrote "2 axle camper". Assuming you are referring to a tandem axle trailer. Unless the trailer is very heavy, I'd recommend single axle. Tandem axles would be increasing the weight, multiplying points of possible mechanical failure (doubling the number of tires, wheel bearings and springs). It is very difficult to manhandle an unhitched tandem axle trailer. It may be possible to move a single axle unhitched trailer if you get in a tight spot off-road.

My preference is a single axle, "flipped", so the spring perches are on top of the axle, adding several inches of frame-to-ground clearance. 14" wheels accommodate small, low load range tires. 15" or 16" wheels much better. Trailer axle hubs are inexpensive. You could swap hubs to match the tow vehicle's lug bolt pattern, for an extra spare tire.

If you weld, consider ditching the short trailer leaf springs. Weld new spring mounts and use longer leaf springs from a truck. I use Jeep aftermarket springs to match the Wrangler. You can also add tabs to install off-road shocks. That may be overkill for your intended plans. But if you plan to keep the rig and go off-road a lot, then well worth the investment.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 09:00 AM

Doug,

We have a Starcraft 10RT, it’s another version of the E2 tent trailer, basically the same thing just lighter (1900 LBS dry). Don’t expect to go rock crawling with it, but it’s very capable for traveling to most of the beaches in Baja.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 09:29 AM

keep in mind the amount of damage you are willing to accept to the camper. you will go to more remote places if you don't mind some dings and scrapes. aka baja pinstriping. it always tough to put those first dents in a creampuff rig.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 10:15 PM

This is more what you want for Baja, with a rooftop tent setup:

https://www.rugertrailers.com/ or

https://adventuretrailers.com/trailers/

There are lots of others made for the Overlanding crowd, price is high, but built to take abuse.

Here are some more:

https://gearjunkie.com/affordable-off-road-trailers-teardrop...

I also saw one from Smittybuilt.

The Overlanding business has really taken off so there are lots to choose from.

[Edited on 3-16-2019 by bajarich]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2019 at 08:16 AM

We pull an Aussie swag off road tent trailer in Baja and Nevada. As others have said make sure you have an off road model and not just a standard tent trailer. I would want 14-15 inch tires and not the small 10 inch that some have. Check your u-bolts and other important items under the trailer after long drives down bumpy roads and before jumping back on the highway. Should be fine.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2019 at 08:25 AM

We pulled a pop-up in Baja years ago. Damn thing fell apart (literally) because of the rough roads.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.