Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Armed Robbery Punta San Jose Lighthouse 4am
AnimalLovers

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 11:52 AM
Armed Robbery Punta San Jose Lighthouse 4am

Saturday morning, 4am (3/2/2019), we were robbed by at least two armed men while camping at the point (near the outhouse). We were in our truck camper. They fired at least 4 shots into the camper breaking 2 windows, putting a hole in our roof from the inside, and damaging other stuff inside. We handed them our money without exiting the vehicle and they finally left. They wanted us to open the doors and get out. They walked to the people camped next to us. We would like to know if they are okay - are you out there somewhere? We drove away as soon as the robbers walked away.

[Edited on 3-3-2019 by AnimalLovers]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 12:07 PM

Where is this place?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 12:08 PM

Bummer. Glad you are OK.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 12:20 PM

It's on the coast southwest of Santo Tomas.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 12:41 PM

Firing blindly into the camper shows they aren’t concerned if anyone is killed or injured. A couple of shots fired harmlessly up into the air would have gotten the attention they wanted I’m sure. Seems there may be a new trend in tactics. Hope the next victims targeted are as lucky as these people.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 01:30 PM

And, sadly, there will be next victims...It keeps getting worse.....
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 01:32 PM

Has anyone put pins in a map for each armed robbery? To show if certain areas are becoming more dangerous?

I posted about Cabo TJ and La Paz moving up to 1, 5 ,and 6 on the most dangerous places list, and got yelled at for doing so.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
Has anyone put pins in a map for each armed robbery? To show if certain areas are becoming more dangerous?

I posted about Cabo TJ and La Paz moving up to 1, 5 ,and 6 on the most dangerous places list, and got yelled at for doing so.

Sorry to hear about the robbery.

It has been known for years that you should not camp on the coast from border to San Quintin. Stick to fenced/established campgrounds and hotels.

Is the lighthouse area open camping or an established biz?
Isn’t that fenced/armed cult compound located near there?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Firing blindly into the camper shows they aren’t concerned if anyone is killed or injured. A couple of shots fired harmlessly up into the air would have gotten the attention they wanted I’m sure. Seems there may be a new trend in tactics. Hope the next victims targeted are as lucky as these people.

Many criminals, no matter the country, are deranged, psychopaths, meth heads, or otherwise abnormal sociopaths that don’t think twice about being violent.

Don’t camp on beach anywhere within 30 miles of urbanized areas.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Faro San José is west of Cataviña, Seven Sisters... Faro means lighthouse... But unlikely there compared to Punta San José, west of Santo Tomás... ?? Hope we hear back from the OP for clarity as so many places in Mexico share the same name.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Where is this place?

Surf spot and fish camp SW of santo Tomas.

Woke!

joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Firing blindly violent.

Don’t camp on beach anywhere within 30 miles of urbanized areas.

si senior

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
AnimalLovers

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Faro San José is west of Cataviña, Seven Sisters... Faro means lighthouse... But unlikely there compared to Punta San José, west of Santo Tomás... ?? Hope we hear back from the OP for clarity as so many places in Mexico share the same name.

This is the surf spot called Lighthouse at Punta San Jose SW of Santo Tomas
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AnimalLovers  
This is the surf spot called Lighthouse at Punta San Jose SW of Santo Tomas

Punta San Jose

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 06:24 PM

This is really disturbing.

So glad you are OK and so worried that the next guys' weren't as fast on their feet as you.

Your guardian angel was right by your side.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2019 at 11:01 PM

Ok I ride by the light house many times . See surfers camped there. Very sad news indeed.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 06:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Ok I ride by the light house many times . See surfers camped there. Very sad news indeed.

I thought that was were we rode to.

20180526_113744-800x450.jpg - 124kB
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 08:18 AM

Yes Ed the fish camp next to it sometimes occupied. It is a long ways in the dirt to get there.
AnimalLovers

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 11:41 PM

Joe,

Are you practicing some sort of PTSD therapy to get me to transfer my anger from the robbers to you? If so, it's working.

I can at least understand their situation. The robbers are likely uneducated and impoverished, with little opportunity to do something better with their lives. What's your excuse?

I don't have a track record on this site because despite over twenty years of Baja experience, living in our camper full time for the past ten years, including three years driving the Pan Am, I'm not a know-it-all narcissistic conspiracy theorist who's chief hobby seems to be trolling this forum. Until there is a rigorous system of background checks for commenters, it's just not worth the irritation.

In this case, we thought it was important to get this story out to as many Baja travelers as possible. Also, we were, and still are concerned about the campers who were likely victimized after us. Hopefully, the robbers ran out of bullets and called it a night.

After the event at Punta San Jose, we immediately drove to Santo Tomas to try to get the police to check on our fellow campers. We did file a report, but they were not very helpful. They had me call 911 to report the incident to the Ensenada police. Ensenada claimed that they would send officers to check on the others, and to search for the robbers. I don't know if they followed through. The 911 call center does have English speaking staff, which is good to know. I also flagged down a humvee full of soldiers that was headed to Erindira from Santo Tomas. The captain seemed interested, but likewise, I don't know if they took action.

Next time you're offline and actually on the road, stop by Santo Tomas to read the police report. If you ask nicely, maybe they'll show you the three shotgun shell wads they recovered from inside our lovely home on wheels.

Unfortunately, you won't get to see the 22 caliber slug we found inside our refrigerator. You also won't get to see the casing my wife just found that came from either that shot or the shot that went through both our ceiling and fiberglass roof. Likewise for the pieces of glass and shrapnel we find everytime we shake a blanket or put on a different pair of shoes.

And pictures! We have pictures of the hole in the refrigerator door with the slug that caused it. We have pictures of the hole in the ceiling. We have pictures of the broken window frame on the access door and the sloppy, but serviceable repair work done by the vidrio shop in Maneadero. It's a small blue building on the west side of the highway. The repair guy is a sweet, old, cross-eyed man named Alejandro, just so you can confirm all the important details.

We also have a picture of a broken cutting board and a huge dent in the edge of our stainless steel counter top from a shotgun slug. I really enjoy that one. It reminds me how my head was only a couple feet below, as I laid naked and bleeding on broken glass while ducking for cover behind the sofa. Would that be enough to prove the "alleged" incident, Joe?

My wife reported this incident on this forum and on another Baja facebook forum. I'm sure you can find it with some basic googling. She hasn't posted pictures yet. It's been over 36 hours now, and it's not like either of us are sleeping at this point, so she should get right on that for you.

We did not file a report with the US Consulate. I'm not sure what good that would do, but it is probably no less a waste of time than responding to all your questions and insinuations.

Were the robbers on drugs? It was 4am. It was dark. I was barely awake. They wore hats and bandanas to cover their faces. We were inside the truck. They were outside the truck. When I wasn't ducking for cover, they were shining flashlights in my face. I don't know if they were high, and it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

As far as the gunshots go, the whole point of firing the guns was to get us to comply with their "request" to open the door. Try reading the original post.

And the noise? What the hell do the robbers care about noise? They are the ones making the noise, and they are making the noise with guns. Guns. I'm sure our neighbors heard the shots, but they didn't come running, and I don't blame them. Unarmed people don't normally run towards the sound of gunfire. Hell, even armed soldiers, security guards, and police officers sometimes fail to engage.

And to address what I hope, but doubt, will be the last of you're stupid questions, are you really asking why someone would camp close to an outhouse? In Mexico? On a Baja forum? You know, without pictures, Joe, I'm not convinced you've ever actually been to Baja.

With that, I'll let my much more well-mannered communications director retake the reigns. I can lead a horse to water, but it can't drink with it's head up it's ass.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 12:19 AM

Thank you for this report.
I am glad you are ok.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.