Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Armed Robbery Punta San Jose Lighthouse 4am
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 12:31 AM

Glad you came out of that experience Ok. The culprits are without a doubt very dangerous hombres and need to be dealt with. And thank you for the report, it is certainly not lost on most of us. Sorry you had to be exposed to JJJ, and hope you don’t abandon the forum because of him or a few others like him..
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 08:38 AM

What a horrible experience. Must have seemed like an eternity waiting for them to leave. Thank you for the report, hope you heal to the point of resuming your travels.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 11:00 AM

Thank you AnimalLovers for taking time to share. There are so many people who read this forum and never post here, that your story has far-reaching consequences that may help... Although, perhaps only to encourage others to keep away from the area or sneak a gun to Mexico to equalize the conditions. I am so lucky, I guess, that in all the travels to remote or popular locations, no such incident has ever happened to my family. If you took photos and are challenged by Nomad's photo posting conditions to share them, I am happy to help!

[Edited on 10-17-2023 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 01:26 PM

Probably not a shotgun which shoot pellets and make big holes at close range
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 06:23 PM

Animallovers,
That was a close one, so glad you guys are OK.
PSJ area has had a number of robberies but shots fired, that sucks.
We have also been experiencing elevated attacks on our sanity and intellect here on Nomads by gutless, clueless keyboard clowns disguised as trolls. Pay no mind.
Thanks for the report, I think I will leave PSJ to my fond childhood memories.
Lionel:cool:
hobomoto

[*] posted on 6-12-2019 at 09:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AnimalLovers  
Saturday morning, 4am (3/2/2019), we were robbed by at least two armed men while camping at the point (near the outhouse). We were in our truck camper. They fired at least 4 shots into the camper breaking 2 windows, putting a hole in our roof from the inside, and damaging other stuff inside. We handed them our money without exiting the vehicle and they finally left. They wanted us to open the doors and get out. They walked to the people camped next to us. We would like to know if they are okay - are you out there somewhere? We drove away as soon as the robbers walked away.

[Edited on 3-3-2019 by AnimalLovers]

Hey AnimalLovers,

Just stumbled on this thread and thought you would appreciate some info. Figured it was worth registering for.

I can verify your story and likely confirm that no-one else was hurt or bothered that night. My girlfriend and I pulled up to PSJ midday on Sunday March 3rd to camp. That would have been the day after your incident.

We were invited by a guy traveling solo in a grey van who wore a straw hat to come camp near them for safety. His name might have been Wade.. or Will, I can't remember. Nice guy who had been camped out there for about a week he said. There was also another couple in a black truck camped by him.

They told us the story of loud noises and breaking glass in the middle of the night coming from where a truck camper was parked and the camper taking off in the dark. I assume this was you guys. From his report, they walked over and saw the broken glass in the morning.

To them, it was unclear what happened. They assumed a break in, but didn't mention hearing gunshots. It was probably confusing waking up so early in the morning to a bunch of noise.

The military was camped out half way up the dirt hill to the fish camp. I assume they weren't there when you were camped? Maybe they came based on your report of the incident?

We actually stayed that night at PSJ camped near the other folks. No other issues occurred. We all left around the same time the next day. They headed down further south, we had to get back stateside.

Not sure we would have stayed that night had we known you had gunshots fired blindly into your vehicle... from the story we heard, we thought it was just a smash and grab. Sucks, I have good memories camping there. I'll have to think hard before camping there again with my GF. I've been robbed at gunpoint and got pistol-whipped before stateside. It messed with my head for a while after. Not an experience I care to repeat or put her through.

Hope you guys are doing well since then,

Dom
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 06:26 AM

Thank you, hobomoto Dom for joining Nomad to share that!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 09:10 AM

I hadnt heard about the incident but want to thank the folks who reported it for informing the public about the danger. It is important to keep up with where and where not to remote camp...I like the idea of a map with pins of crimes with dates on them...maybe David K can do it!

Always the military are your best bet for action and sounds like they did respond as they were camped there after the report.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 12:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hobomoto  

Just stumbled on this thread and thought you would appreciate some info. Figured it was worth registering for.

I can verify your story and likely confirm that no-one else was hurt or bothered that night. My girlfriend and I pulled up to PSJ midday on Sunday March 3rd to camp. That would have been the day after your incident.

We were invited by a guy traveling solo in a grey van who wore a straw hat to come camp near them for safety. His name might have been Wade.. or Will, I can't remember. Nice guy who had been camped out there for about a week he said. There was also another couple in a black truck camped by him.

They told us the story of loud noises and breaking glass in the middle of the night coming from where a truck camper was parked and the camper taking off in the dark. I assume this was you guys. From his report, they walked over and saw the broken glass in the morning.

To them, it was unclear what happened. They assumed a break in, but didn't mention hearing gunshots. It was probably confusing waking up so early in the morning to a bunch of noise.

Hobomoto, you and the guy traveling solo in the straw hat, must have the wrong people for two reasons, and therefore, it appears you can't confirm the alleged shooting incident.

Reason 1, the couple who were allegedly shot at and robbed, at that Baja Camp ground, were not traveling in a black truck, but were actually traveling in a white truck camper, and I posted the photo of their camper below, which was taking Heather's and Scott's Adventures on Facebook, and I remember Heather, posted about this on "Talk Baja" and Scott, posted about it here on "Baja Nomad."

Reason 2, The nice guy in the straw hat, said, according to you, that he heard loud noises, and glass breaking in the middle of the night, but he didn't hear gunshots. Gunshots, are unmistakable at a close distance, especially from a shot gun, and the .22, which meant two arm-weapons were used. ( supposedly both shotgun shells and .22 shells were recovered) So if a shot gun was actually used, the guy with the straw hat should have mentioned hearing gun shots, or at least loud firecrackers, or something like a M-80 explosives going off.

Here is truck or camper, it's not black, it's white: ( I think it's a Tiger, or something like that, and it's older than 10 years old)

[Edited on 6-13-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

AnimalLovers

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 03:01 PM
Thank you so much for giving us some closure

Saturday morning, 4am (3/2/2019), we were robbed by at least two armed men while camping at the point (near the outhouse). We were in our truck camper. They fired at least 4 shots into the camper breaking 2 windows, putting a hole in our roof from the inside, and damaging other stuff inside. We handed them our money without exiting the vehicle and they finally left. They wanted us to open the doors and get out. They walked to the people camped next to us. We would like to know if they are okay - are you out there somewhere? We drove away as soon as the robbers walked away.

Hey AnimalLovers,

The military was camped out half way up the dirt hill to the fish camp. I assume they weren't there when you were camped? Maybe they came based on your report of the incident?

We actually stayed that night at PSJ camped near the other folks. No other issues occurred. We all left around the same time the next day. They headed down further south, we had to get back stateside.

Not sure we would have stayed that night had we known you had gunshots fired blindly into your vehicle... from the story we heard, we thought it was just a smash and grab. Sucks, I have good memories camping there. I'll have to think hard before camping there again with my GF. I've been robbed at gunpoint and got pistol-whipped before stateside. It messed with my head for a while after. Not an experience I care to repeat or put her through.

Dom

Thanks so much for registering and sharing your story. We have been curious and worried about what happened to the other people camping next to us. We wonder if the robbers maybe ran out of bullets and thus decided not to rob them too? We flagged down a military Humvee in Santo Tomas and told the captain about the incident. It's great to hear that they may have actually gone out there because of our report. Curious about where you were robbed in the USA? Is there a way to PM each other? We are hanging in there. It still messes with our heads a bit. Time will heal? Thanks again.
hobomoto

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 11:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Hobomoto, you and the guy traveling solo in the straw hat, must have the wrong people for two reasons, and therefore, it appears you can't confirm the alleged shooting incident.

Reason 1, the couple who were allegedly shot at and robbed, at that Baja Camp ground, were not traveling in a black truck, but were actually traveling in a white truck camper, and I posted the photo of their camper below, which was taking Heather's and Scott's Adventures on Facebook, and I remember Heather, posted about this on "Talk Baja" and Scott, posted about it here on "Baja Nomad."

Reason 2, The nice guy in the straw hat, said, according to you, that he heard loud noises, and glass breaking in the middle of the night, but he didn't hear gunshots. Gunshots, are unmistakable at a close distance, especially from a shot gun, and the .22, which meant two arm-weapons were used. ( supposedly both shotgun shells and .22 shells were recovered) So if a shot gun was actually used, the guy with the straw hat should have mentioned hearing gun shots, or at least loud firecrackers, or something like a M-80 explosives going off.

Here is truck or camper, it's not black, it's white: ( I think it's a Tiger, or something like that, and it's older than 10 years old)

[Edited on 6-13-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

Joe,

With regards to your points:

1.) Please re-read my post. It was the straw hat guy and the couple in the black truck who I met at PSJ. They told me the story of the truck camper who left in the dark after a lot of noise and commotion. In the morning they found broken glass where he had been camped This was the story told to me by the remaining campers after the incident.

I then found this post here and the two independent stories fit together. I strongly believe the OP's story based on what I heard from other campers at PSJ.

2.) They guy in the straw hat didn't mention gunshots one way or the other. He said something along the lines of loud noises and commotion and breaking glass.

As far as why he didn't tell me anything about gunshots... who knows? Only he does.

Maybe he didn't want to scare us? Maybe the shots startled him awake and he only could really confirm what he heard after? Keep in mind they were not camped right next to each other. There is lots of space to spread out there.

Anyway, I posted this info mainly for the OP whose story I believe based on what I heard from the other campers that weekend. I wanted the OP to know the other campers were ok. You can choose to ignore it or disbelieve it. Its up to you. I don't really care.
hobomoto

[*] posted on 6-13-2019 at 11:27 PM

Hey AnimalLovers,

Dom

Thanks so much for registering and sharing your story. We have been curious and worried about what happened to the other people camping next to us. We wonder if the robbers maybe ran out of bullets and thus decided not to rob them too? We flagged down a military Humvee in Santo Tomas and told the captain about the incident. It's great to hear that they may have actually gone out there because of our report. Curious about where you were robbed in the USA? Is there a way to PM each other? We are hanging in there. It still messes with our heads a bit. Time will heal? Thanks again.

Yeah there were bunch of soldiers posted up there with a Hummer. Part of the reason we felt safe after hearing the story I guess.

Did my descriptions of the other campers match who you met? I assume no-one else was robbed because the campers I spoke to only mentioned a truck camper leaving in the dark. They didn't mention anything about anyone else.

As far as me getting robbed in the states, it actually happened in a nice part of San Diego. I was 18 at the time (36 now). It sucked, I remember my illusion of safety being pretty much shattered and feeling like anything could happen at anytime. Eventually that all faded away.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

-Dom
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-14-2019 at 08:25 AM

Doncha just love it when a guy hundreds of miles away on a keyboard tries to decide what happened that night, over two, on-scene groups?

Ferget the straw hat, JJJ. Work on removing yer a$$hat.
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-14-2019 at 09:39 AM

Thank you animal lovers and hobomoto.
I appreciate your posts about YOUR first hand experiences.
So sorry they were this kind. Very scary.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-14-2019 at 10:06 AM

Thank you for posting this incidence as that is one of the many features this forum was built around, helping and educating others about Baja.

As in life, you take in the information and process it in your own way.

Now and then, I consider not reading and contributing to this site due to a few very unhappy people that seem to enjoy spreading their misery to others. Same people, same attitude with virtually nothing to contribute and appear to this untrained mind, extremely unstable.

Can't weed them out and probably shouldn't, so just know most of have a smile on our face and they lead a very pathetic sad life. That's reward enough for me.

VIVA LA BAJA!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.