Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for Gonzaga input
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 08:30 AM
Looking for Gonzaga input

I was a frequent visitor to Bahia Gonzaga, but I haven't been there for eight years. Planning to go back in a couple weeks. What are the changes there? Is Campo Beluga still operating? There used to be very few campers there--is this still the case? Is there still a minisuper @Gonzaga?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 09:29 AM

Hi Larry,
Well, a paved highway from the north has reached Gonzaga and continues for over 20 kms. beyond. Although on October 1 of last year, flash floods took out a few of the new highway bridges! Dirt detours make going around easy except for the biggest rigs and trailers.

Yes, Beluga is still there are quiet most of the time. There are a few cabins there in addition to the palapas.

Alfonsina's has a security gate by the gas station to control access for the restaurant/ motel/ residents.

The market is just past the gas station, on the right, and part of Rancho Grande. There is a tire repair shop behind it. The beach at Rancho Grande (between Alfonsina's and Campo Beluga) has palapas and rental cabins (mobile homes).

On the north side of the true Bahía San Luis Gonzaga, is Papa Fernandez' Resort with a restaurant, camping on a sandy beach, over the hill from the restaurant, and private homes.

South of Campo Beluga is El Sacrificio, a fishermen's style campo with cabins and a restaurant.

At the far south end of the larger part of "Gonzaga Bay" (but really is named Ensenada de San Francisquito) is Punta Final Resort with private homes and camping.

See my 2017 Trip #1 report on Nomad for details, photos, etc. I last was there in August 2018 and that was in my Trip #8 report.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 09:55 AM

I have found empty campgrounds, and loud crowds at the same camps depending on other events.

A week before or after an American or Mexican holiday, or a race event, can fill the camps quickly! There are both races, and holidays, that are not well known to folks north of the border.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 11:12 AM

AK is right on!

The SCORE Baja 1000 Race sometimes (not always) passes by in November and then there is the NORRA Mexican 1000 Rally in April (I think?).

The big beach going holiday (to avoid if you can) are the two weeks around Easter... Semana Santa is the big one, the date varies as Easter does. Some North American campers like the Christmas/New Years weeks... despite how cold the water can be then... still warmer than Canada, eh?

Go when you can, there will always be someplace to pitch a tent but the overall favorite months are May and October... and if you think it is okay for the desert to be hot and the beach perfect, then June-July are fantastic!

Some Beluga Pics:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pete69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 05:09 PM

Well said David,

Pete69 @ Punta Final
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 05:35 PM

Thanks Pete... It would be great to get feedback from anyone still at Punta Final for updates on Kevin or whatever is going on.

The Punta Final website has not had any updates since 2014 and currently is offline. California-Baja Rent-a-Car people made a Punta Final Facebook page, but it too is from 2014: https://www.facebook.com/punta.final.1

Pete69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 07:49 AM

Sure, here goes David, you are right on Semana Santa, very crowded but getting better in Punta, not as crazy, it is ever evolving. Punta Final camp is alive and well. A few new houses being built, and a few for sale. People drive thru looking for houses for sale, but usually want front row, don't blame them. Stability in the camp is good, Kevin's vibe is good and so is the camps. Been here 30 years and still love it. We have good people in the camp, it's a great place to be. No drama here.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pete69  
Sure, here goes David, you are right on Semana Santa, very crowded but getting better in Punta, not as crazy, it is ever evolving. Punta Final camp is alive and well. A few new houses being built, and a few for sale. People drive thru looking for houses for sale, but usually want front row, don't blame them. Stability in the camp is good, Kevin's vibe is good and so is the camps. Been here 30 years and still love it. We have good people in the camp, it's a great place to be. No drama here.

Well, that is good news! Thanks... Is the airstrip still legal, if you know? Is Don Briggs still around, or his kids, and do you know if they are still part of Rancho Santa Ynez?

Pete69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 08:07 AM

Airstrip is still legal, we have a few residents that still fly in, not like it used to be. Don Briggs has not come down in years, can't remember when was the last time I saw him. His son uses the house now on occasion. Don't know about Rancho S Y.
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 08:21 AM

Thanks everybody. David, I think I got advice from you many years ago before the first time I was there. Going back next week. The paved road makes it a little less adventurous, but I am sure it is still a beautiful place.
AZ7000
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 12:43 PM

Last chance, any of you residents have a contact for rancho grande? Whats app? Never had an issue even when busy but 6 of us heading down on our kids spring break and would like to reserve a palapa or 2. My 3 numbers for them are going unanswered.

Friends were a bit shoe horned into one palapa last year but still a great trip!

Larry or Pete69, maybe put in a name for us next week? We will be arriving on my 53rd birthday, march 17th, yep St Patricks day!
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 01:14 PM

For a while, we were given a tag to keep with us while visiting Alfonsina's, part of the security theater.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.