BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Ysidro federales taken over the booths?
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 01:39 PM
San Ysidro federales taken over the booths?

Just got a text from my brother who just crossed north and south this morning at San ysidro. 3 am he had a 2 hour wait to get back into san diego, He says going back into mexico there are long lines as well, and , the Feds are manning the toll booths on Mex 1, , and checking drivers licences and car registrations.

he believes they closed the border headed south right after he got through.

can't verify any of this - just passing on what i heard

[Edited on 3-5-2019 by caj13]

[Edited on 3-5-2019 by caj13]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 02:26 PM

the playa toll booths were unmanned yesterday 3pm with two soldiers waving everyone thru.......also the old familiar IMN guys were bypassing the banks again;)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 02:50 PM

Your brother crossed north... and then south again, at 3 am? 2-hour wait going north...

When was that, midnight? Then he turned around to go right back into Mexico?

I am just trying to grasp what you are trying to describe.

Thank you.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 03:00 PM

Tell your brother to get a Sentri pass. Who the hell waits 2hrs.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 05:22 PM

He Did...
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 10:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Your brother crossed north... and then south again, at 3 am? 2-hour wait going north...

Thank you.

I see he edited his post... Still makes no sense.. Why do you believe they closed the border?

Making America Great Again
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 01:46 PM

Thank you.

He had to haul out the 3 injured guys from their hotel in san quinton and get them on a plane from San Diego to their home in the USA. , then he had to turn and burn back south to SQ again, to run support for the 3 remaining clowns!

[Edited on 3-7-2019 by caj13]
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

Thank you.

He had to haul out the 3 injured guys from their hotel in san quinton and get them on a plane from San Diego to their home in the USA. , then he had to turn and burn back south to SQ again, to run support for the 3 remaining clowns!

Any info on what occurred?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 02:19 PM

San Ysidro Federales? 2 hours to cross at 3am? His brother "believes" the border was closed down? The military is not "manning" the toll booths and the rest of what he says----I JUST DON'T GET IT.

What am Missing here?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 02:21 PM

Please define "Federales"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 02:46 PM

Thank you.

caj13, so sorry but I guess I missed hearing or seeing about this event that injured people? Your brother is a hero, for sure!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 04:05 PM

Two hours at that time of night to get into San Diego sounds like a nightmare.

Closing the border at any time is a nightmare.

No one heard about this on the news? onl

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 04:18 PM

Thank you.

David,

My brother does alot of pre-running, and handles logistics and pit stuff for the 50 super truck team. The driver/owner/ financier called him up while we were in san felipe, and said he had some freinds who had just bought new dirt bikes, and were determined to make a run down the length of Baja. The team owner was concerned about these guys level of expertise, and their skill levels, as well as their complete lack of experience in Baja. He asked my brother to run support (babysit) these guys during their trip.

So he was simply following them, showing them the routes, meeting them at checkpoints doing the wrenching, and making sure they got to a safe place to stay overnight.

predictably, with in 2 days, as soon as they got into the rough stuff - they started crashing everywhere - they were in over their heads, but didn't want to admit it. so on day 3, one went down with a broken wrist, followed closely by a second - who ended up breaking ribs, and a 3rd who broke some bones in his back, along with his wrist.

scott had to get to them, get em in his truck, salvage the bikes, and get them to San Quinton, which was their planned stop. It became apparent pretty soon that there were some pretty significant injuries, at which point they requested that they be flown home, but the only available option was to get them to San Diego. So he loaded em up, got em to San Diego, crossing at San Ysidro - 2 hour delay, dropped em at the airport, and headed back immediately to S.Q. where the other 3 riders were waiting to continue their trip.

There was a long delay crossing south as well, and he reported that they closed the border right behind him - obviously not for long. But then on his way back to SQ, he came across the federal police looking at DL & registrations, they were working out of the toll booths.

I was just getting info out there, had no idea why or how long the border was closed, nor any idea how long the feds were running their checks, but I thought that info might help someone - thats the only reason I posted it here!

good news is they got through day 4 without any serious carnage, so the adventure continues for the "survivors"

caj13, so sorry but I guess I missed hearing or seeing about this event that injured people? Your brother is a hero, for sure!

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 06:32 PM

Now that makes sense. You had my head spinning from your first post. I hope all is well with them now.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 06:44 PM

Sounds like quite the chase truck guy to have on one's team!

San Ysidro is in the U.S. so no "federales" there. In Mexico, federales are police on the highway, not working in towns unless on the highway, and the military is another group but sometimes gets lumped in.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 08:28 AM

If they were checking IDs at the toll booths I would assume they were looking for someone specific, maybe someone heading south from USA. Who knows.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 03:45 PM

We have done a number of day trips in the last 60 days. Toll booths seem to be wide open toll free during daylight hours then manned after dark. Have seen some Feds parked and checking, looking, stopping some cars after you go thru the booths southbound we have been waved thru every time, so far. Will be going down again next week.

Viva Sentri. :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 05:33 PM

trouble with SENTRI - is if others in the vehicle don't have it, you musty go through the regular lines - correct? that was the case in this instance, passengers did not have sentri
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 05:53 PM

What you do, is drop them off to walk through, and get them on the other side.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 06:08 PM

What you do, is drop them off to walk through, and get them on the other side.

If you drop the non-Sentri pax off before the border and you are caught your Sentri card will be revoked.
Thems the rules.
I don’t break the rules. Going back to the commoners lane would be torture!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.