Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Los Barriles Robbery
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 05:24 PM
Los Barriles Robbery

On Baja Pony express ...Armed Robbery in Los Barriles...
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 06:48 PM

Thank God, Chuckie, doesn't know how to re-post or link the report, because I have read it and it's really scary and involves a machete and zip ties.

The moral of the story seems to be, never answer the door unless you know who is knocking.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-5-2019 at 07:01 PM

Isn't this important to know?
Or is it just extraneous information?

The Chuckie part not withstanding.

[Edited on 3-6-2019 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
3-5-2019 at 08:19 PM
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 08:03 AM

Not sure why this wasn't posted? From the Baja Pony Express=

d. This is a community safety announcement.
A recent armed robbery occurred in Los Barriles that I believe all should be made aware of.
Several nights ago, around 6:30 pm, a couple heard a knock on their door in Buenos Aires area. When the man looked out, he did not see anyone. after a moment, he heard a second knock, and went out a different door to look around. When he went around the back of the house, he encountered a latino male, not tall, with a wiry build, armed with a machete. The suspect used zip ties to secure the man’s wrists. He said he wanted money and credit cards. When the man did not return to the house, his wife went out to look for him, and her wrists were also zip tied. They gave him their money and credit cards, and at his insistence, their PIN number. He had at first said he wouldn’t hurt them, but then said if they reported to the police or canceled their cards he would return and kill them.
It cannot be stressed enough that they did exactly the right thing in giving him what he wanted. No amount of money is worth the risk of injury or worse.
In the interest of community safety I feel it is important for everyone to be watchful of any unusual behavior, and Do Not answer your door unless you know for sure who it is. (I am so sorry to have to print this but we do need to know. Cheryl)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 08:56 AM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 09:01 AM
Here we go again.................

Waiting for the usual CSI experts on Baja Nomad to chime in on if this incident was real or made up, an in depth examination of the evidence and the veracity of the reporting party/victim
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 09:09 AM

It was real....I didn't link it because those who are seriously interested will do the homework...The rest will put their heads back in the sand....
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 09:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Waiting for the usual CSI experts on Baja Nomad to chime in on if this incident was real or made up, an in depth examination of the evidence and the veracity of the reporting party/victim

I'm waiting too for those usual CSI experts to chime in.

But I must say, I'm wondering why Ron, on "Talk Baja" is allowing this alleged machete incident to be placed on his Baja group site? Ron, said before that 3rd party incident reports would be deleted in favor of only first hand accounts.

The person who is reporting this report, Bill Bender, has a very light "Facebook account, and also should have raised red flags on "Talk Baja" and should have caused Ron, to verify the account before allowing Bill as a member.

Maybe Bill is a friend of Chuckie's, because he says he is from Kansas? ( hey Chuckie, how do you know the incident is real?)

I don't know if the story is true or not, but I disagree with Bill, that we need to know about his alleged incident. The only ones who might possibly need to know about this incident are those that are living in Los Barriles, a very small city with a population of about 5000, with a mix of Mexican nationals and ex-pats.

Baja travel forums and group sites are not newspaper crime blotters.

If I'm living in San Diego, I do not need to know about a robbery in Los Angeles, even if it involves a machete. ( not a good idea for robbers to remain inconspicuous after the robbery)

I also disagree with Bill, who said the alleged victims did the right thing. Yeah, always turn over your belongings to an armed bad guy, robber. However, after they left, the police should have been called, and the credit cards cancelled. Jump in the car if you have to after the police come, but don't let the bad guys have access to your ATM and credit card cash, because they claim they will be back.

Now carry on and be real scared for Chuckie.

[Edited on 3-6-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 11:01 AM

LOL that makes sense.....Old guy and his wife against 2 thugs with machetes....Yeah, Right
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 11:05 AM

Lee wrote: "My advice, short of physical limitations, is to fight immediately. Take control of the situation. Odds are against you the longer things play out."

I'm sorry Lee, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

I think you should always give up your wallet, purse, or whatever else a armed robber, is asking for you. Money and personal belongings can always be replaced, you can't be replace. ( oh wait my ex-wife replaced me)

If the alleged victims were Americans, chances are they were senior citizens, and probably wouldn't put up a good fight, against the small but wiry build Latino.

The only time I would possibly put up a fight or try to run, if somebody told me to get into a car, and this goes double for women.

I think most people in law enforcement would agree with me.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Lee wrote: "My advice, short of physical limitations, is to fight immediately. Take control of the situation. Odds are against you the longer things play out."

The only time I would possibly put up a fight or try to run, if somebody told me to get into a car, and this goes double for women.

I think most people in law enforcement would agree with me.

First part is true. Don't get in any car.

Let's say the perps wanted money, ID, etc. Then keys to vehicles. Then ransack the house. Then take the woman away. How bad can it get?

At 72, I'm an elder and senior citizen. Don't trust these perps or situations involving weapons.

Again, I don't see surrendering as a good option.

For those who see no problem in being tied up, whatever.

As for LE agreeing that Joe is right, could be. Don't think so though.

[Edited on 3-6-2019 by Lee]

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
It was real....I didn't link it because those who are seriously interested will do the homework...The rest will put their heads back in the sand....

I pass on this stuff. Don't bother looking it up. I read if posted. For those with their head in the sand, they're warm and having fun.

Up North, no sand. They don't come down.

Not all that interested in stuff happening around Pescadero either. If there's a rash of burglaries in the hood, it won't change how I live. I'm prepared for someone walking onto the property with a handgun.

Practice living with uncertainty.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.