Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Airplanes buzz beach near Gonzaga Bay (video)and trip report
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 07:53 AM
Airplanes buzz beach near Gonzaga Bay (video)and trip report

Crossed southbound at Mexicali West Feb 27. Right after the border you can make a hard left and get on the old route though downtown Mexicali, or stay right. I took the right option, saw a big flagpole, a small lake, got lost, ended up touring the outskirts of western Mexicali where they are building lots of new tract homes until I finally got on the 5 south. The 5 south of San Felipe is bumpy and dusty. Drop offs and pot holes, lots of hard braking to avoid hitting nasty bumps.

Got to my destination about 15 miles north of Gonzaga and saw 4 airplanes making a low pass along the beach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARHD5Z4BjzI

I thought, hey, maybe Fishbuck finally did it..

Got bit up by bugs. This area is bad for "no seeums" aka biting midges and I knew to deet up, wear long sleeves, long pants, socks, but after a couple of days let my guard down and slept without socks with the camper shell open and came home scratching at horribly itchy insect bites on my feet. You can figure out where I was staying ("five Islands") but it is not really set up as a public camping area, no services, rocky shoreline, and as I mentioned, bugs. Boat ramp is open and in use by commercial fishermen. I wandered in there one day and got to be friends with the owner so I stay there when in the area. As you can see in the video the water has an amazing electric blue color in the afternoon.

Going home I could not stand the thought of sitting in the line at Mexicali west on a Saturday so took the 3 to Ensenada so I could cross at Tecate. It started raining, water puddles on road. Came upon an accident, single car with flames pouring out of all 4 windows. Some other people were stopped on the road, not sure if anyone in the car, so kept driving to tell someone at Ojos Negros because no cell service. In Ensenada unpleasantly surprised to find the main highway along the waterfront was closed for mardi gras, got diverted into a traffic jam, finally drove right past Hussongs and got on the 3 to Tecate. Reward was a wait of only 1/2 hour at the border. The Ensenada / Tecate route is about 20 miles longer, (to San Diego) slower road, but the short border wait makes it about equal time wise.

Best way would be to take the Rumerosa grade to Tecate but I have a phobia about bridges and steep drop-offs. The 3 west of Ojos Negros also has drop off but you are on the inside lane going west so not so bad.

Highlights: great weather, no wind for a change, got some great fresh scallops from a guy with a bucket of them in the front seat of his car.

Lowlights, Lost in Mexicali, traffic in Ensenada, saw car wreck, bugs, 8 hour trip both ways.

My truck (2016 F150 with 2.7 l) got 23 mpg. 18.1 pesos to the dollar at casa de cambio in Calexico.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 08:59 AM

Thank you for a great trip report! Yes, 5 north to the 2-D west to Tecate is the fast route but has the big mountain climb.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.