Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The new scourge of remote areas
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 05:01 PM
The new scourge of remote areas

I have been seeing more and more of these balloons in remote areas. On one of the rock-pile hikes I saw 7 different ones.

A recent article seems to imply they are also involved in sea bird deaths.

Sea Bird Deaths caused by Balloons

Do we give any thought when we buy these? Probably not, they seem innocent enough at the time.

Yet just as we start to realize what plastic is doing to our environment decades later, hopefully we can be a little more aware of these.

Perhaps it will only be an issue for those that travel in more remote areas where they are so out of place.

balll.jpg - 244kB balll 2.jpg - 245kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 05:03 PM

I often wonder about those nighttime flaming paper bag launches, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I often wonder about those nighttime flaming paper bag launches, too!

Not to excuse it but hopefully they mostly burn and paper does degrade faster than this mylar and is less deadly to wildlife.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 05:23 PM

10-4... what about forest fires??? :o

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 05:58 PM

I was in remote southeastern California a year ago when I saw this low-flying red blob floating across the sky, so I followed it until it was plucked out of the sky by a thoughtful tree. With some deflation, it fit nicely in my backseat.

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
10-4... what about forest fires??? :o

Well, again, not to downplay something, I do not believe that is what is causing our fires here in CA.

But....:?:

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 06:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
I was in remote southeastern California a year ago when I saw this low-flying red blob floating across the sky, so I followed it until it was plucked out of the sky by a thoughtful tree. With some deflation, it fit nicely in my backseat.

See that seems like a perfect example, who knows how far that traveled and luckily someone was there to clean it up. Thank You for that!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 06:06 PM

The mylar balloons that are so popular will stay inflated for days, maybe weeks,
Put one up in the tradewinds and it will carry hundreds of miles before it finally slowly deflates and settles to earth
They are really bad news for power lines, but never heard of them killing sea birds.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
The mylar balloons ... bad news for power lines, but never heard of them killing sea birds.

The link I posted covers it and the article says ...

“Balloons or balloon fragments were the marine debris most likely to cause mortality, and they killed almost one in five of the seabirds that ingested them,” said the study’s lead author, Lauren Roman, a doctoral student at the University of Tasmania.

Now while it does not say what kinds of balloons, the link they give for "balloons" says this...

For animals, both mylar and latex balloons pose a deadly threat. Animals can become entangled in strings, or try to eat them, which will block their digestive systems and cause them to starve to death. Sadly, this has been a tragic fate met by both animals on land, and at sea …especially for species like sea turtles, who mistake them for jellyfish.

[Edited on 3-8-2019 by Fatboy]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
See that seems like a perfect example, who knows how far that traveled and luckily someone was there to clean it up. Thank You for that!

It contained love notes written in Spanish.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 06:58 PM

Erroll Flynn, the long ago movie actor wrote an autobiography.
Told about his boyhood days and the evil pranks they pulled.
They would tie the greasiest piece of pork gristle they could find to a long monofilament fishing line and toss it in the back yard which was full of geese.
(You know the old say "like sh*t through a goose....")
So, the next morning all the geese in the yard would be connected by one long line.....

OK, I repent, on to the next subject
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 08:04 PM

I live by Disneyland and the city has a big issue with power outages caused by the balloons.

Es Todo Bueno
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 08:17 PM

Maybe helium filled balloons should be banned like plastic straws, Styrofoam take-out containers, plastic bags. People can do without helium-filled balloons. A replacement would soon be invented.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 08:30 PM

Mylar balloons, launched from Tijuana to Ensenada, often fail to clear the escarpment and crash in the Sierra de Juárez . I've encountered numerous balloons in some odd places: horseback riding off trail, technical climbing on granite crags. Once caught one on the fly, before it landed. A few have had notes attached. One had a name and Tijuana address. I returned the note to the "flight operations director" with a map of the location where it had crash landed...
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 10:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Erroll Flynn, the long ago movie actor wrote an autobiography.
Told about his boyhood days and the evil pranks they pulled.
They would tie the greasiest piece of pork gristle they could find to a long monofilament fishing line and toss it in the back yard which was full of geese.
(You know the old say "like sh*t through a goose....")
So, the next morning all the geese in the yard would be connected by one long line.....

OK, I repent, on to the next subject

Uh, glad I was eating dinner when I read that. Thanks very much. :barf:

[Edited on 3-8-2019 by DanO]

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2019 at 10:30 PM

Our ocean off Socal/Baja is full of mylar balloons. We make a habit of gaffing as many as possible - on any given offshore
trip we average around 10 or so.

Here's a Mothers Day balloon and a bag of trash.

[Edited on 3-8-2019 by 55steve]

20180917_135456 (285x380).jpg - 134kB20180813_114446 (380x285) (2).jpg - 143kB
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 05:56 AM

It's pretty disgusting. They banned plastic bags here a couple of yrs ago and I love it. Working on Styrofoam now.

Making America Great Again
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  
It's pretty disgusting. They banned plastic bags here a couple of yrs ago and I love it. Working on Styrofoam now.

The transition to reusable bags was painless, have no idea what the big issue was. Except the disposable bag manufacturer's lobby.

John
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

The transition to reusable bags was painless, have no idea what the big issue was. Except the disposable bag manufacturer's lobby.

John

Exactly. Styrofoam is just as bad, if not worse. I see that crap everywhere, including washed up on the beaches and floating on some of the kelp paddies 60 miles off shore.

Making America Great Again
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Exactly. Styrofoam is just as bad, if not worse. I see that crap everywhere, including washed up on the beaches and floating on some of the kelp paddies 60 miles off shore.

How to clean up the world:
Ban single-use plastic bags
Ban helium ballons
Ban single-use styrofoam fast food packaging
Mandatory vehicle fuel economy standards
Mandatory diets for fat people
Use tax policy to effect social engineering (e.g tax penalty if you buy/own a significantly polluting vehicle, boat, house, business)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.