Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: ROBBED in La Paz
Sarah

mad.gif posted on 3-11-2019 at 04:26 PM
ROBBED in La Paz

Hi everyone,
Sad story. I had my camera bag stolen out of my vehicle at the Walmart in La Paz on Saturday (March 9th). The worst part of the whole ordeal is that I had three external drives in there that have my entire life's work on (both professional and personal). They are incredibly important and sentimental to me and if I can somehow get them back I am willing to pay. Other items in the bag were a Mavic Air drone, GoPro Hero 6, two lenses, three microphones, an external flash, camera battery and charger and a cheap video camera. If anyone has any advice or can help me in any way it would be much appreciated. I am offering a $500 reward for just the external drives (with all my photos still on them) or $1000 for all my stuff back.

REWARD POSTER2.jpg - 44kB
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 05:29 PM

I can see putting video on external drives, but I certainly hope you had all your photos in something like Google Photos.

It's free and incredibly easy to use.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2019 at 10:19 PM

I really feel for you. I fear the same thing when I travel in Baja. I know it will happen eventually. It's just a question of when. What a painful lesson. I hope you they find it.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 07:03 AM

there was another similar robbery at Playa Pichilingue

Harald Pietschmann
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 07:17 AM

Get used to leaving NOTHING of value in your vehicle....
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 07:44 AM

something of value visually accessible through a window is the best way to be torn-off. sorry for the loss. best of luck with the recovery of your stuff.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 07:56 AM

Murder, the top priority of crime fighters, goes lacking in MX
And so it goes with lesser crimes, on down to theft from a vehicle.

Not enough training and not enough resources to bring it all together, plus the corruption factors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_corruption_in_Mexico

The below site gives some good insight into the why crime (in this case, murder), is a tough go.

"SOLVING A MURDER IN MEXICO IS THE EXCEPTION, NOT THE RULE: it would take 124 years to solve all the murder cases"

"In Mexico, 95% of murders are unpunished"

https://www.animalpolitico.com/kill-murder-mexico/homicides-...

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 08:23 AM

Sarah! You must be devastated. So sorry to hear about this.

If I were you, I would hit every pawn shop. Posting the reward is also an excellent idea. Best of luck and may the universe conspire to get the external hard drives back!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 08:53 AM

Not the first report of a break-in at the Wallmart/Sams parking lot. Similar problems have been reported to indifferent management. No change in security. Stay away or leave your car empty.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

I guess all you folks traveling in self contained RV's can cross this "golden rule" off the list?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sarah  
Hi everyone,
Sad story. I had my camera bag stolen out of my vehicle at the Walmart in La Paz on Saturday (March 9th). The worst part of the whole ordeal is that I had three external drives in there that have my entire life's work on (both professional and personal). They are incredibly important and sentimental to me and if I can somehow get them back I am willing to pay. Other items in the bag were a Mavic Air drone, GoPro Hero 6, two lenses, three microphones, an external flash, camera battery and charger and a cheap video camera. If anyone has any advice or can help me in any way it would be much appreciated. I am offering a $500 reward for just the external drives (with all my photos still on them) or $1000 for all my stuff back.

I am speechless. Can't imagine this happening to me, but still, it's a major loss for Sarah. Sorry to read about this, Sarah.

Can you fill in some blanks? It might be helpful for those here to learn the lessons from this crime. I shopped this Walmart last week. Always use my alarm and travel with my black Lab who would be easily spooked if someone were around my car.

Was the car a rental? Was this smash and grab (your possessions were in front or back seats)?

Hope your drives were backed up somewhere and guessing they were.

Personally, I think this is a good forum to post your info on. I will continue to be personally cautious at this parking lot. And anywhere I park for that matter.

Good luck in your recovery. Cuidado.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 03:50 PM
Theft Happens

Perps break into vehicles for items of value in the 1st world. More so in the 3rd world. One has to expect it.

Some years back, standing behind another couple at the Avis counter on St. Thomas, the gentleman at the counter said "do you recommend that we leave the car unlocked ? We just came from Jamaica and they said to always leave the car unlocked so the thieves wouldn't damage the vehicle".

The clerk answered "NO ! ALWAYS lock the car, but don't leave anything in sight inside the passenger compartment. Put anything left behind in the trunk or take everything out. The thieves only break-in to the cars where they can see something ."

Sometimes (at least in Baja), even when the vehicle is occupied.

A friend of mine years ago, in his almost new Dodge Ram Quad-cab Diesel after getting a late start on his way to Whale-Watch, pulled over in a rest stop south of Ensenada. Along with wife and kid climbed into his camper for the night. Leaving camera, CD Player and other gear on the backseat. Being awakened by the crashing of BOTH side windows, he jumped out barefoot to see two men who took off running with the gear.

Relating the event later, he lamented that being barefoot, he cut his feet up on the broken glass. Otherwise, he could have caught up with them.

"Yeah", I said, "and then what ?"

Sort of like the "Tire-Biter Dog" catching the car. It doesn't turn out well.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

I guess all you folks traveling in self contained RV's can cross this "golden rule" off the list?

RVs don't usually stop in WM lots in Mexico. Difficult to maneuver in and out. Especially travel trailers. Besides, most RV-ers are savvy rats and bring from the states everything they need - self contained, like you said.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-12-2019 at 09:23 PM

And, most have enough common sense to leave someone in the rig if they need to short term park in places like that,
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2019 at 08:53 AM

Here at the Walmart/Sams parking lot in La Paz, You can easily detect the small thru large RV's, mostly from Overland travellers, some from far away countries...
Many are loaded up to the gills, with special equipment on the roof or hanging on its side. A very interesting sight, you can spot them just driving by, not even entering the parking lots.
Those vehicles might become a theft target more often, than the "standard" local parking space occupant.

I do try to park my car close to the WM entrance, under the sun shades, with more pedestrian traffic around. Not out of security concerns, but I am just too lazy, walking a long distance to my car.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2019 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  

I do try to park my car close to the WM entrance, under the sun shades, with more pedestrian traffic around. Not out of security concerns, but I am just too lazy, walking a long distance to my car.

Always see the European RVs at Maranatha. Semi type tires, high off the ground, and yes, loaded. Saw one at Agricole in Pesky one day. Said they had been NOB and were headed to S. America.

So, security should be a concern at WM. I park in the shade as well. Nothing of value in my SUV except my dog. Alarm is turned on. Thiefs in the parking lot and the store. Won't go into details but the perps are looking for someone asleep at the wheel.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2019 at 07:05 PM

You can't leave an RV or any camping type car with anything in it out in the open, on the beach or on any street unsupervised anywhere in La Paz. You need a protected secure place or remain with your stuff at all times.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-13-2019 at 08:00 PM

thieves love La Paz!
all the advertising for more tourism brings fresh valuables every day
it is high season right now
the thieves really appreciate when you advertise "I have a lot of stuff" by hanging Kayaks and bikes outside
however, they hate it when you bring dogs
they prefer the big adventure trucks over small rentals
but if you are swimming and your rental is the only car at the beach, they don't mind cracking that window really quick - odds are good (even with nothing visible at first glance)

Harald Pietschmann
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2019 at 10:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
.....but if you are swimming and your rental is the only car at the beach, they don't mind cracking that window really quick - odds are good (even with nothing visible at first glance)

Late 80s on Oahu, at a remote tourist center, I locked my car keys in a rental. Big parking lot a distance from the center. Waited an hour for AAA when I saw 1/2 dozen high school age kids walking by. I told them I'd pay $10 if they could get my car open.

One kid looked around and pulled a Slim Jim (silver, about 18'') from his trousers, slid it in the driver door and the door unlocked. About 3-5 seconds.

Guessing the Mexicans are at least as smart, if not smarter, than the Hawaiians. Definitely a eye opener and lesson learned.

F*ck it.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2019 at 02:22 AM

One kid looked around and pulled a Slim Jim (silver, about 18'') from his trousers, slid it in the driver door and the door unlocked. About 3-5 seconds.

Guessing the Mexicans are at least as smart, if not smarter, than the Hawaiians. Definitely a eye opener and lesson learned.[/rquote]

Do Slim Jim's work in the newer cars? Just asking because my girl friend called AAA a couple yrs ago and they couldn't open hers, 2015 Nissan. Maybe just the driver and he didn't know what the hell he was doing?

Making America Great Again
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.