Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: ROBBED in La Paz
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2019 at 07:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Do Slim Jim's work in the newer cars? Just asking because my girl friend called AAA a couple yrs ago and they couldn't open hers, 2015 Nissan. Maybe just the driver and he didn't know what the hell he was doing?

I've read pre-2000 vehicles are possible but newer cars maybe. My car was not power locks.

Hoping Sarah will respond with more details as I'm curious how a thief got into her vehicle. Glass broken with a ''window punch'' is quiet enough.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Do Slim Jim's work in the newer cars? Just asking because my girl friend called AAA a couple yrs ago and they couldn't open hers, 2015 Nissan. Maybe just the driver and he didn't know what the hell he was doing?

I've read pre-2000 vehicles are possible but newer cars maybe. My car was not power locks.

Hoping Sarah will respond with more details as I'm curious how a thief got into her vehicle. Glass broken with a ''window punch'' is quiet enough.

Yes, a window punch is extremely quick and quiet. If I remember correctly, the AAA driver that showed up to open my girl friends car with the Slim Jim said he could possibly do it but would most likely tear up the rubber molding among other things and they wouldn't be responsible for damages, that's when we sent him on his way.

Making America Great Again
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 12:01 PM

Yes, a window punch is extremely quick and quiet. If I remember correctly, the AAA driver that showed up to open my girl friends car with the Slim Jim said he could possibly do it but would most likely tear up the rubber molding among other things and they wouldn't be responsible for damages, that's when we sent him on his way.

seems like most of the AAA guys nowadays use a small wedge to pry open a small gap in the top of the door, then slide a small air bladder in, inflate the air bladder, then slide a long curved stick in and try to hit the power door locks or grab the lock and pull up on it

https://youtu.be/MMuhKZRWdz0?t=56

[Edited on 3-15-2019 by defrag4]

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  

seems like most of the AAA guys nowadays use a small wedge to pry open a small gap in the top of the door, then slide a small air bladder in, inflate the air bladder, then slide a long curved stick in and try to hit the power door locks or grab the lock and pull up on it

https://youtu.be/MMuhKZRWdz0?t=56

[Edited on 3-15-2019 by defrag4]

Never heard of this method with the air bladder but sounds feasible. You learn something everyday, thanks!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 02:21 PM

I spent some time yesterday afternoon in the La Paz Walmart parking lot
curious if I could spot activities that did not belong there

within minutes I spotted 4 individuals obviously not involved with parking while shopping

working in pairs - one drawing attention to him/herself, the other checking for open doors

one pair with a nice new Mini - US plates, but looking very local
one pair of Mexican guys with an older Mexican plated pickup

they were not afraid to check cars right at the entrances

so, be careful out there!

Harald Pietschmann
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

within minutes I spotted 4 individuals obviously not involved with parking while shopping

working in pairs - one drawing attention to him/herself, the other checking for open doors

Great homework there Harald. Good you spotted them. Assume there are guys at Sorriana, Ley, Chadraui, CCC, etc. checking for unlocked cars and peaking inside.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 05:32 PM

some days ago my gardener made me aware of footprints veering off their original direction towards the door of his parked car while he was working in the yard. Someone had checked his door while he was inside the property.
"Rata!" he said.
I had so many break ins at my house (before I got the dogs) that I too learned every footprint around the property.
I agreed to his track reading.
Rata!
Scared him enough that he is now parking inside.

Today I spotted the owner of the footprints.
A teenage girl in school uniform.
They learn early

Harald Pietschmann
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 06:02 PM

some days ago my gardener made me aware of footprints veering off their original direction towards the door of his parked car while he was working in the yard. Someone had checked his door while he was inside the property.
"Rata!" he said.
I had so many break ins at my house (before I got the dogs) that I too learned every footprint around the property.
Rata!

They learn early

somebody jumped my locked gate and stole my damn dirty old wet shoes i left lying out front of my house to dry in the sun

now im checking every fools feet who walks around in my hood :mad:

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 06:10 PM

well, I won't mention the lightbulbs that kept disappearing outside the house
until I hot wired the housing
it is quiet now

Harald Pietschmann
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 06:32 PM

just saw this chick post again - bet they were the same dudes, you could have gone up to them and shared the 20,000 peso reward!

"My boyfriend and I were in a convoy with two other couples in campervans and we all went to Walmart to get groceries. I had my boyfriend stay in the car to guard our stuff, along with our dog while I shopped. As I was checking out I feared I hadn’t brought enough cash in and asked him to run some in for me. Unfortunately he left the back door unlocked. He feels terrible. It happened in a flash and our friends were next to us in their vehicles and didn’t notice. Also our dog was in the car and maybe he didn’t notice either? He’s a pretty nice dog and probably wagged his tail at the robber. My advice is NEVER let your guard down, not for a second. Even if you are feeling safe don’t risk it. Always park at the front (we were in the back) when shopping. Obviously lock all your doors. If you have someone with you have them guard the vehicle while you shop. If you have a bag with all your worldly possessions in it like I did, just wear it in the shops! Annoying but I often did that and always felt more relaxed. Because we live in our vehicle it’s obvious to thieves that everything we own is inside. Take every precaution you can. Lock it up, hide it, leave bait bags with broken cameras in them, just do whatever it takes. Whatever you do, don’t not travel to places like this because of fear. Just learn from unlucky people like me how to be more careful. La Paz is a wonderful place with lots of awesome stuff to do and many beautiful, kindhearted people. I hope this is helpful "

[Edited on 3-16-2019 by defrag4]

hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 07:04 PM

Working dog breeds, well trained are a serious deterrent and pretty expensive if pro trained as they should be. Care taken to match the energy levels to that of they owner. They can be a handful but for us worth every penny and hour spent learning how to handle them.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 07:04 PM

"Sarah" has only posted once on Nomad, this thread. Odd, with so much interest, that she isn't interacting with us more, isn't it?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
"Sarah" has only posted once on Nomad, this thread. Odd, with so much interest, that she isn't interacting with us more, isn't it?

seent her post on just about every mexico outlet i follow, the ol wide net method i imagine, hope she gets her stuff back but i imagine its probably in some roadside segunda by now

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hermosok123  
Working dog breeds, well trained are a serious deterrent and pretty expensive if pro trained as they should be. Care taken to match the energy levels to that of they owner. They can be a handful but for us worth every penny and hour spent learning how to handle them.

serious guard dogs need a command to attack
but who is giving the command when you are shopping?
heard a solution on a TV show once:
"Good doggy!"

but what to do in Spanish?

Harald Pietschmann
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 09:12 PM

I'm shocked, shocked to hear that something was stolen in a Walmart parking lot. That would never happen in the USA!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 09:58 PM

she quickly discovered once was enough?
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2019 at 07:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
"Rata!" he said.
Rata!

They learn early

somebody jumped my locked gate and stole my damn dirty old wet shoes i left lying out front of my house to dry in the sun

now im checking every fools feet who walks around in my hood :mad:

Jeezus, that's getting bad.

Pablito1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2019 at 07:27 AM

This is off the subject of Baja. During the 1980s I worked in Peru and thievery was so bad in Lima that you couldn't leave wind shield wiper blades on the car. They were a sure target.

Regards
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-16-2019 at 07:38 AM

I think her intent in posting was to seek her stuff.
She probably is not looking to interact.
She just wants her stuff back.
Will interacting with you get her stuff back?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 09:22 AM

Feeling lonely David ? Wanting a conspiracy theory ?
Maybe you could post a map of Walmarts in Baja...at least so you might feel more included :?:

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.