Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: to late for whales?
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 01:29 PM
to late for whales?

I had an idea about heading south to see some whales,
is it to late?

Any ideas about where to go, or should I wait till next year?
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 04:17 PM

When I was there with Shari in early Feb., she said they were running a month late.

Whether that means they will be staying longer into April is for others to answer.

One thing was there were few tourists at that time and the hotels were mostly empty. Not good for the locals who rely upon whale tourism.

There were a number of storms, one after another could account for some of that.

The Oja de Liebres sp? [Scammons' Lagoon] has more whales than any other lagoon, so your best chance is there.

Shari's Whale Camp is out by the mouth to the Pacific, forty miles from the inner lagoon where all the other whale guide boats take off from.

Our time on the water out there, we saw no other boats and had the whales all to ourselves.

We also rode out through the mouth just inside of the whitewater breaking shoals where the whales are known to spy hop. We were not disappointed. It was spy hop heaven.

Go if you can. It is Magical and will stick with you for all of your days.

Peace love and fish tacos.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 08:06 PM

Just today a pod of whales spouted in front of our house! All headed south.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 08:31 PM

verichip, go.... just go. Head for Scammons' lagoon just past Guerrero Negro, hotels available in same town. Camping at the lagoon. Sooner the better, they're still there. Even if you're a little late you'll see some, but please...

JUST GO. NOW!:coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-15-2019 at 08:51 PM

the whale watching has been epic this season...yes fewer whales than other years but we have had friendly encounters on about 98% of my trips and every tour in the last month and a half here in Laguna Ojo e Liebre. I am guiding tours till the end of March if you would like to come out with me on a guided adventure. There are still lots of whales...especially moms and calves that are very big and frisky now. you can U2u me or send me an email at sharibondy@gmail.com or www.whalemagictours.com

You can also see other really cool attractions while you are in the area like the cave paintings close by here, the Pronghorn Antelope Preserve...they also have their babies now..the worlds largest salt works...fantastic bird watching etc.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-16-2019 at 12:35 PM

Hi Shari. Thank you for the report.
Whales are not just cuddly... they are important!

[Edited on 3-16-2019 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 3-16-2019 at 08:00 PM
spy hop?

Thanks for the news.

What is a spy hop? Anything to do with whales jumping halfway out of the water?

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
the whale watching has been epic this season...yes fewer whales than other years but we have had friendly encounters on about 98% of my trips and every tour in the last month and a half here in Laguna Ojo e Liebre. I am guiding tours till the end of March if you would like to come out with me on a guided adventure. There are still lots of whales...especially moms and calves that are very big and frisky now. you can U2u me or send me an email at sharibondy@gmail.com or www.whalemagictours.com

You can also see other really cool attractions while you are in the area like the cave paintings close by here, the Pronghorn Antelope Preserve...they also have their babies now..the worlds largest salt works...fantastic bird watching etc.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 03:48 AM

They stick their head up and spin in a circle to get their bearings. The name is accurate.

[Edited on 3-17-2019 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 09:19 PM

actually I dont think they are getting their bearings...they do this activity much more when the tide is low and they are standing on the bottom on their tales so not hopping at all...and usually their eyes dont even clear the surface of the water so not really looking around either. Their eyes only show at a very low tide. I think they are stretching like a yoga thing...they also stand on their heads!
They also do it when they are in a place where there are whirlpools and current...perhaps they like the feel of water rushing against them..like hydrotherapy.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-18-2019 at 11:50 AM

You're the whale pro!
But mine is the info from Whale biologists. They do it (spy hop) all the time even in deep water while traveling. It is believed they are looking for navigational landmarks.
No one knows why they do it whales can't talk.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2019 at 11:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
You're the whale pro!
But mine is the info from Whale biologists. They do it (spy hop) all the time even in deep water while traveling. It is believed they are looking for navigational landmarks.
No one knows why they do it whales can't talk.

[/rquote

they indeed talk. there has been awesome research done and some of their language decoded.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-18-2019 at 11:58 AM

Whales don't speak english or spanish. And I don't speak gray whale so it is a bit hard to ask them questions about what they do.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-18-2019 at 12:00 PM

I mean... you can ask... but...

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2019 at 03:51 PM

We saw blue whales and humpbacks off Loreto yesterday.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2019 at 07:25 PM

Whales don't speak english or spanish. And I don't speak gray whale so it is a bit hard to ask them questions about what they do.

when you hang out with whales on a daily basis....ya learn alot by observing...problem is with biologists, they arent in the field much.

So the whale watching has been fantastic the last few days...still lots of moms and calves here and super playful.

this is me today

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2019 at 07:37 PM

Awesome!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-21-2019 at 07:43 PM

when you hang out with whales on a daily basis....ya learn alot by observing...problem is with biologists, they arent in the field much.

So the whale watching has been fantastic the last few days...still lots of moms and calves here and super playful.

this is me today

Ah, I forgot about Vulcan mind meld;)
Is there anything you can't do Shari?

It's like some kind of... magic:bounce:

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-21-2019 at 08:42 PM

this is me today

The Queen of Grey Whales blessing one of her babies.
The cute little cetateans.
I hope it's a bumper crop!!!;)

[Edited on 3-22-2019 by fishbuck]

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2019 at 05:49 PM

it was definitely NOT a bumper crop this season...first of all most of the babies were born on the migration as it was over a month late like many of the fisheries this year.

Alaska researchers say that whales stayed a month longer to feed as the ice pack didnt form till later. I imagine lots of calves didnt make it so those mothers didnt come into the lagoon to raise their babies. We had about half the whales we usually get in Ojo de Liebre and the same lack of whales was reported in all lagoons.

There were lots of young juveniles seemingly quit thin. I personally saw 8 dead whales which is far more than usual....mostly females.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-22-2019 at 05:58 PM

Thank you for the honest observation.
I wish I could help them...
Pray for fish (and whales).

[Edited on 3-23-2019 by fishbuck]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.