Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Need advice on bed roll
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

question.gif posted on 3-17-2019 at 06:20 AM
Need advice on bed roll

5'-10", 205 lbs, 68 years old.
I used to sleep on rocks and wake up ready to roll, now I'm just pleased to wake up.:rolleyes:

I took my 5 year-old grandson camping last summer and dug out my old sleeping mat, the kind that self-inflates when you unroll it. Wow, it was not a good night's rest. Last night while eating pizza after his baseball game, he started asking about going camping again. I need to upgrade but the camping sites have a gillion options so thought I would ask those of you who camp, what would you recommend?
Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 07:02 AM

Air mattress for the win!
If you have a Tacoma with 110v outlet in the bed, just plug in and inflate. Otherwise, an inverter is needed that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Or, one that inflates with a hand pump or your mouth...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 07:17 AM

A good cot, a good pillow and the right bag for the conditions. A pad on top of the cot can be used.

Cots imo are better than air matresses, much better. No leaks, no pump required and cots put one off of the ground.

Off the ground helps keep crawly things away and makes getting in to and up from the bed so much easier.

I use this one for car camping: https://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Outfitter-Patented-Inclu...

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 07:42 AM

[I used to sleep on rocks and wake up ready to roll, now I'm just pleased to wake up.] :rolleyes:

Hahahaha Ain't it the truth!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 07:48 AM

http://kamprite.com/shop/tents/tri-fold-series/kamp-rite-ori...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  
A good cot, a good pillow and the right bag for the conditions. A pad on top of the cot can be used.

Cots imo are better than air matresses, much better. No leaks, no pump required and cots put one off of the ground.

Off the ground helps keep crawly things away and makes getting in to and up from the bed so much easier.

I use this one for car camping: https://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Outfitter-Patented-Inclu...

Very true, I also have a cot for single nights, quick set up. I used both during all my nights researching the road guide, often the cot if I was only going to be there one night. However, the air mattress is warmer and more comfortable and you can move around... the cot doesn't allow for much movement.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 07:50 AM

I use a Klymit pad, inflates in 10-12 breaths, which is nice at high altitudes. I bought an ultralight insulated pad for backpacking, but it works great on my cot as well. One nice thing about the Klymit is they are 23" wide versus the 20" normal size. Very comfortable pad and I am a side sleeper, no problems bottoming out.

There are a lot of models, I have the Static V Lite Insulated, 19 oz, R factor of 4.4. I've used it for almost 4 years now (70+ nights) with no problems or leaks. Very happy customer. You can actually feel it get warmer after you lay on it, the insulation is like mylar and reflects your heat back to you.

You can get factory refurbished pads on Ebay for about half price new. With factory warranty. That's what I just recommended to a friend.

Regular air mattresses will suck the warmth from you, unless there is some insulation. Like a hammock, nothing but cold air above and below.

John

[Edited on 3-17-2019 by John Harper]
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 08:07 AM

Therm-a-Rest extended my camping days nicely. No need to inflate, it is automatic. Efficient thermal barrier and excellent comfort. Mostly used for motorcycle camping. I would say 90% of my friends use them or a variation on this theme. I try to accommodate the "camprest" model, about 2" thick and very cushy. Doubles as an xtra bed for guests at home. Incidentally, I found a cot uncomfortably narrow and cold.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Therm-a-Rest extended my camping days nicely. No need to inflate, it is automatic. Efficient thermal barrier and excellent comfort. Mostly used for motorcycle camping. I would say 90% of my friends use them or a variation on this theme. I try to accommodate the "camprest" model, about 2" thick and very cushy. Doubles as an xtra bed for guests at home. Incidentally, I found a cot uncomfortably narrow and cold.

I also have a thick Thermarest like you describe. Like sleeping on a bed at home. I use that for most my car camping, unless I'm going ultralight. I use my Thermarest on top of my cot and it's the cat's meow. Way too bulky for backpacking, but if you're just car camping, that's a great choice.

John

[Edited on 3-17-2019 by John Harper]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 08:57 AM

I went the other way
lost 4o lbs and ditched the air mattress

Harald Pietschmann
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 09:15 AM

Went ultra-lite backpacking years ago...Therm-a-rest NeoAire Xlite: 12 oz, size of waterbottle packed, R value 3.2...reflective layer for heat, 20 degree insulation. In Baja used on cot, in Sierras on the ground. Changed all backpacking gear and went from 38 lbs to 24 lbs for a full week or more. Like carrying a daypack. Sleeping on a cot with out a pad is cold as the sleeping bag insulation under you is squished and ineffective.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 09:33 AM

Self-inflating, closed cell foam pads, half inflated surf mat - all good. Even better, double them up for better insulation and more cushion. My favorite is a Thermarest Basecamp AF - just a few puffs needed, lightweight, doesn't take up much space, 2" cushion. Grandson should be comfortable on this. Pillow is important too; when I luxury car camp (relatively speaking), I take a sofa pillow (smaller than a bed pillow), and use a pillowcase with it (flannel is nice). Instead of taking from your sofa at home, they're readily available in thrift stores for $2. Those 6" inflatable air mattresses are very bulky and take a long time to fill up using your accessory attachment.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 09:58 AM

Therma-rest mondoking 3D.
Self-inflating 4”-thick mattress.
Good for car camping, or kayak/canoe trip. Too heavy for backpacking.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 10:12 AM

i have used the "go cot" really an excellent option.

https://store.campingcot.com/
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 10:36 AM

I used o rolled up feather bed mattress the last couple of times out. Very comfy and even though most vehicles have a 110 outlet now-a-days...didn't need it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 10:52 AM

I have an extra wide army style cot. It's about 36 inches wide. I don't remember who I got it from but an on line search will show where to get em. I have seen them in ads from Big 5. I use a moving pad or two depending.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 04:17 PM

We're close to age weight, another Thermarest vote, borrowed
one yrs. back, was sold on it. Being a cheap $$$, I might
look for a used one, they have changed some model names over
time, I used a camp luxury (name may be off). They make
a few models, some for backpacking, some narrow, which the
weight for car camping not a problem, with the heavy ones. Wife
uses a cot, a bit bulky, but comfortable

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 05:43 PM

Cot, plus a good self inflating pad.

Air mattresses are worthless.

[Edited on 3-18-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 06:37 PM

I like cots, but I still need a self-inflating mattress to go on top of it. Even though I have a high end, very tight Slumberjack cot, I dont like the way your spine goes out of alignment when you lay on your side. You're like a slight U-shape. The mattress alleviates this. Mine is a Thermarest from their base camping line.

True air mattresses move around too much and are too noisy.

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-17-2019 at 06:46 PM

my aging bones love the air mattress......
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.