PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 07:32 AM
Renewed Baja Railroad

Interesting read from another forum
Baja Rail Road (Bjrr)
The train for transport between BC and EU is reborn
Map
http://bajarr.com/eng/news/joint-venture-between-baja-califo...
Home page
http://bajarr.com/eng/

After 75 years Baja California recovers the railway capacity for cargo and passengers and now is intended to connect with the United States

After the formation of the subcommittee of the fourth transformation of the national customs committee of Mexico, which aims to identify works of energy infrastructure for the municipality of Ensenada, Mario C. López, representative of energy costa azul expressed that Baja California competes against Asia, so it should be thought of projects to 50 years, that take advantage of the closeness to California, the sixth economy of the world.

In addition to raising the need to connect to Baja California with the United States, through railways for the transport of products and energy, which will be much cheaper and less dangerous than transport by road.

In the same sense, Fernando Ruanova, President of the association of customs agencies, considered the current coordination of government in the three orders, which make things happen.

"after 40 years of agent ( Customs ) looking for the authorities, he recognized, this is the first time the authorities come to us", by highlighting this stage of meetings.

Relive railway

Roberto Romandie, representative of the company Baja Rail Road (Bjrr), reported that for the first time in 75 years Baja California recovers its railway capacity with an exclusive crossing for trains 24 hours, the seven days of the week all the Year, which allows connectivity with class one railway companies.

The company is in a position to offer greater ease for intermodal cargo, reduction of times at border crossing, logistics costs, capacity to transport in double stack, optimization of delivery times, help to reduce road traffic and highways and has made a millionaire Investment of 600 million pesos that will rehabilitate 112.75 kilometers of track, 57 bridges and 17 tunnels.

Bjrr has exchanges with companies of the world's largest bouquet and in four years they have achieved what was not done in 75 years. Its 600 million pesos in infrastructure and construction of tracks in 71.4 km with the desert of the desert to access again to the United States, get to plaster city and interact with up that is throughout the American Union.

Each car of the company carries the equivalent of four trucks and is the ideal complement for wheel transport, while in weight, at the distance it is more efficient.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 08:04 AM

Good luck! Repairing the tunnels and tressels on the old San Diego & Arizona Eastern Railroad will not be cheap!

I hope it does work out and the 4-door Tacomas built near Tijuana can ride on a train! I see semi-truck car carriers transporting 4-door Tacomas northbound on I-15 from the Toyota de Baja California factory quite frequently.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Charlie Nichols

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 08:46 AM

There's been about 15 attempts in the last 25 years by various groups, businesses and government entities (on both sides of the border) to reopen the San Diego/Arizona line. And all of them have made big media announcements and had pictures taken and blah blah blah....and yet, not a single train has moved down those tracks since it was shut down 40-some years ago or however long it's been. Forgive me for being a wee bit doubtful about ANOTHER press release.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 09:12 AM

And what about the Goat Canyon Trestle? Hard to believe it can be restored?
See GE at 32 43.738, -116 11.010
[Edited on 3-20-2019 by PaulW]

[Edited on 3-20-2019 by PaulW]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 02:35 PM

How much is an airconditioned private car.
A sleeper would be awesome:coolup:

I saw that tresle on tv recently. Very cool and hard to comprehend it's purpose now.
Did that ever make money for the railroad who built it.
Becuase building that today would cost like a billion dollars and be hard to get any ROI.
Does Baja Nomad have a Railroad historian?
Or to the default historian;)

[Edited on 3-20-2019 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 03:00 PM

I want to buy my own car.
The ultimate RV.
I will keep it on a siding in San Quintin.
When the is a hotbite down peninsula, I will flag down the next train and have them hook me up and drop me off at the bite.
I want that car that was on Wild Wild West.
I can catch the next train home and get my plane.
Gotta have my plane parked and ready wherever I fish.
There might be more than 1 hotbite that needs me.
Ah, life is good:coolup:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
How much is an airconditioned private car.
A sleeper would be awesome:coolup:

I saw that tresle on tv recently. Very cool and hard to comprehend it's purpose now.
Did that ever make money for the railroad who built it.
Becuase building that today would cost like a billion dollars and be hard to get any ROI.
Does Baja Nomad have a Railroad historian?
Or to the default historian;)

[Edited on 3-20-2019 by fishbuck]

Baja Railroad's History is in here:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 04:11 PM

Whoa!
All aboard:bounce:

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 05:01 PM

Restoring this railroad is slightly less insane than a high-speed railroad the length of California. Ain't gunna happen.

Some photos I took of the SD&AE in Corrizo Gorge, circa mid-80s.

The water tower at Dos Cabezas, bottom of the hill, west of Ocotillo.

Lower in the canyon, there were some wash-outs.

The track kind of hung on the side of the mountain. Distance right is the Goat Canyon Trestle.

One of many tunnels. At one place, there were some box cars sprayed down the hill from an earlier derailment.

A few tunnels required circumnavigating.

Heading up Corrizo Gorge

Some tunnels were wood-lined.

The latest version of the Goat Canyon Trestle. On the left is a spur with a (fire) water tank car. The spur was the original alignment of the track, but the tunnel on the other side of the trestle collapsed, slid down the hill, so the track was realigned to the right. The semaphore signal was wired so if the bridge collapsed, for whatever reason (including fires set by competing truckers), the signal would stop trains.

Goat Canyon Trestle is the world's largest all-wood trestle Wikipedia: "Goat Canyon Trestle was built in 1933 as part of the San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railway, after one of the many tunnels through the Carrizo Gorge collapsed. The railway had been called the "impossible railroad" upon its 1919 completion. It ran through Baja California and eastern San Diego County before ending in Imperial Valley. The trestle was made of wood, rather than metal due to temperature fluctuations in the Carrizo Gorge. By 2008, rail traffic stopped utilizing the trestle."

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 05:10 PM

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 05:12 PM

Yes! Great great pictures!!!

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 05:18 PM

If I remember correctly, the railroad was built by the San Diego sugar guy, Spreckels.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 05:21 PM

In 1919, Spreckels completed the San Diego and Arizona Railway, a short line American railroad, dubbed "The Impossible Railroad" by many engineers of its day due to the immense logistical challenges involved. Established in 1906 to provide San Diego with a direct rail link to the east by connecting with the Southern Pacific Railroad (which secretly provided the funding for the endeavor) lines in El Centro, California, the 148-mile (238-kilometer) route of the SD&A originated in San Diego and terminated in the Imperial County town of Calexico.

The total construction cost was approximately $18 million, or some $123,000 per mile; the original estimate was $6 million. Construction delays, attacks by Mexican revolutionaries, and government intervention during World War I all served to push the construction completion to November 15, 1919, when the "golden spike" was finally driven by none other than Spreckels himself. Completing the SD&A was a monumental task that seriously affected Spreckels' health, almost costing him his life.

In subsequent years, damage to the lines from heavy rainstorms, landslides, and fires took a financial toll on the railroad, as did border closings with Mexico. In 1932, financial difficulties forced Spreckels' heirs to sell their interests in the firm for $2.8 million to the Southern Pacific, which renamed the railroad the San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railway (SD&AE).

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 05:24 PM

It was a big big deal, 100+ years ago... When San Diego wanted to be very independent of L.A. where all railroad passengers and cargo for San Diego had to go to first.

San Diego was not blessed with any passes to the east and the terrain dictated that part of our railroad east to Arizona would need to dip into Lower California, Mexico.

The fun fact is that where the train line returns back into the United States is in a tunnel! It is the world's only railroad that crosses an international border, underground!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 05:35 PM

This has been in the works for many, many years, sometimes going bankrupt, getting new partners, extensions to agreements, no money, delays - doubt if it will ever be completed. Latest excuse was that they needed approval for US Fed Govt to build a border inspection station. Good luck with that.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/politics/sd-me-tiju...

[Edited on 3-21-2019 by wilderone]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 06:07 PM

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 06:19 PM

What about my private Wild Wild West train car?
Where is Spreckels when you need him?
That guy could get sh!t done.
It might take a while, and be a bit stressful, and be a colossal waste of money but...

[Edited on 3-21-2019 by fishbuck]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 07:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
What about my private Wild Wild West train car?
Where is Spreckels when you need him?
That guy could get sh!t done.
It might take a while, and be a bit stressful, and be a colossal waste of money but...

If Salma Hayak comes with the Wild Wild West car I'll go in with you fish.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 07:28 PM

As much as I love indulging my nostalgia, this somehow doesn't sound exciting.

The road from where to where - from Tijuana to some SoCal or Az junction? no big deal.

Sleeper? Check Amtrak prices. It's cheaper to fly in highest tier of Economy class from Seattle to San Diego (sometimes even a discounted 1st class) than taking a private sleeper room. Not to mention that rail ride takes forever and trains run infrequently.

I would imagine passengers working close to the stations taking a train. All other locals would either drive or walk or take a Greyhound bus.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 07:55 PM

The sleeper is on my inaginary train that runs from my town to cabo and stops at all my fishing spots.
I did study Mr. Spreckles some.
His mansion on Coronado Island and theater seem very cool.
Anymore Baja connection with him at all?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.