Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja Airlines
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 12:28 PM

One I get set up. I would like to have a "milk run" of sorts.
1 once a month at the beginning and maybe more often later.
I could bring things down from Tijuana or Ensenada. Store bought items.
And deliver them where needed.
I am planning to fly anyway. So kind of a charitable thing.
I will need a once a month trip to the border to pick up mail and supplies for my camp.
I may give rides under certain conditions if I can.
Make the rounds so to speak.
And flying is alot of fun.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 12:33 PM

They have parked that many airplanes at The Serenidad Hotel in Mulege many times in the past. The golden days of private flying in Baja will never reach levels seen through the 80’s, when it started to decline for the previously stated reasons of drug and crime related problems. 9/11 brought in massive changes not only to aviation but to all aspects of our lives. Those who experienced the earlier days were truely lucky.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
They have parked that many airplanes at The Serenidad Hotel in Mulege many times in the past. The golden days of private flying in Baja will never reach levels seen through the 80’s, when it started to decline for the previously stated reasons of drug and crime related problems. 9/11 brought in massive changes not only to aviation but to all aspects of our lives. Those who experienced the earlier days were truely lucky.

Yes, we should all just give up. Life can never be good or fun again.
How encouraging you are to the next generation of pilots...
We should just all lay down and die..

[Edited on 3-23-2019 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 12:47 PM

I don't know this because I would never go to that large of an event.
I don't care how good the pig tastes.
It's better with a dozen or so planes. Excellent comaraderie and plenty of elbow room at the bar for fishing/flying stories.
More smaller events better than 1 giant event per year.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Yes, we should all just give up. Life can never be good or fun again.
How encouraging you are to the next generation of pilots...
We should just all lay down and die..

Or how about a little taste of reality. Private aviation is in decline for many reasons, just one being the huge expense involved in flying lessons for new young pilots. The cost of private aircraft single engine airplanes such as the old standard Cessna 182 costing upwards of $600,000. And some other brands pushing one million bucks. Regular maintenance and training can add thousands annually. It isn’t necessary to lay down and die but be ready with deep pockets if you want to play. It’s less expensive to buy a house.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 01:13 PM

Yes sir. You are correct in a few things there.
And thank you for engaging.
Is there anything now-a-days that isn't upsidedown compared to what it was. Hasn't that always been true?
The Piper Seneca that I want cost about 1.5 million. And it will take all of my gigalo skills to get it.
No one ever said being a pilot was easy or cheap. It ain't glamorous and the pay is low.
It's sweaty stressful hard work. It's a job.
However, I am intending to perchase a Piper 140 just for getting around. Less than $20,000. About $50/hour to fly it.
No pilot loves the Piper 140.
But an hour of flying in it still counts in the log book. And you will need 1500 hours to get a decent entry level flying job. A right seat Citation jet pilot job is posted at $55,000/year. And I think that is the top. I couldn't afford to live off that. No one can. And that is a rated jet pilot. I get these posts everyday now. Several.
So being a pilot is 1 giant math problem.
And you know what we say in the flyin biz.

"No bucks... No Buck Buckrogers"

Boeing was delivering 3 737MAX jets PER DAY before the grounding. Airbus does the same with the A320.
The are several other jetliners in production today around the world.
So about 10 brand new airliners enter the system EVERYDAY.
There are 10,000 airliners airborne around the world... right now!
It is a known fact that not enough pilots are being trained to fly them. Boeing has been warning of this for the last 10 years.

You're a pilot... you do the math...:cool:

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 02:27 PM

So instead of paying for well trained pilots, the FAA, the airlines, and Boeing would prefer to just "fix" the situation with software.
And eventually to convince the FAA to reduce the requirement to one pilot on the flight deck. Two rated pilots are now required for your safety.
And then no pilots. Automated and one person on the ground "monitoring" several airplanes at once.
The only person on the plane is you riding in the back.

Eliminate those pesky pilots and make more money.
Because that is what the airlines want. Money.
Automated planes and no employees.
A perfect world.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 02:43 PM

And just to be clear.
Rich people all use private jets today. All day, everyday.
So more people are flying that ever. General aviation is thriving.
Try to find a parking spot for a private jet at John Wayne Airport Orange County, CA.
The Gulfstreams have push the Lear Jets into non-existance.
Go to Vegas, Vail, Aspen, Palm Springs and look.
The Citation jets are parked so far away that you will need a ride into the private jet terninal. The nicer the jet, the closer the parking. Best jet. Front door. Just like the a-holes here and their stupid sports cars. Except a jet is REAL.
They just don't get licenses anymore like they use to.
Why?
You can rent a jet with your friends of a little more than the cost 1st class tickets. It's cheap. Look at Cabo next time your there.
These jets start at 5 million.
If you don't believe me ask Warren Buffet.
He owns NETJETS.
Have you seen the new Honda jet. Cute and inovative.

You're a pilot... do your own flight planning...

Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2019 at 05:16 PM

I loved flying with Capt. Munoz! I flew several times in the early to late '60's with him until the big airlines pushed him out. A real gentleman, he lived in IB , I would bring items to his house to be brought to folks in Mulege. After Baja Airlines, I learned myself and flew for another 42 years all over Baja in my own aircraft. Now I fly Calafia to Loreto, faster but not as much fun. So many great memories, flying in Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-24-2019 at 07:11 PM

Hi Vince, like you, my dad spoke very highly of Capt. Muñoz. He was very impressed that Muñoz invited my dad to sit up front in the c-ckpit.... 1967. Let's not let these glory days of Baja travel die with us. Publishing them, even here on Doug's Baja Nomad preserves them beyond us... at least for another generation or two.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-25-2019 at 09:35 AM

How about "Air Cortez" anyone remember them? What a fun airline!!!
Fishbuck is off his meds again, I see.....
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-25-2019 at 10:56 AM

Yes off meds...

I'll bet Dezi didn't have a "fish" shaped pool.

[Edited on 3-25-2019 by fishbuck]

See...

The "pool" thing is from my "I love Lucy"...

[Edited on 3-25-2019 by fishbuck]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-25-2019 at 12:52 PM

I am guessing that when Captain Munoz stopped flying Baja Air Service and started flying for the salt company in Guerrero Negro that he didn't live at BOLA anymore.
But maybe he did. It's a short flight so maybe he commuted home to his runway everyday after flying to Cedros.
But I don't think he would fly home in the Company DC-3 or Convair if they had one.
I would love to know where the Lockheed Loadstar was at then... and now...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2019 at 05:19 PM

The land that he and his wife Leysl own includes his runway from the 1960s and several vacation homes. LarryC was once a homeowner there.

The Muñoz' also lived in the San Diego area... Imperial Beach and up at Crest, until the big 2003 fire took that home.

Maybe they were in L.A. Bay only in the cooler months, but always had a home there.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-25-2019 at 05:36 PM

Buck.... did you get your flight physical current, your logbook signed off and back to legal again?
Just curious...
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-25-2019 at 08:16 PM

Physical yes
Current no. No reason to spend money yet.
Don't want to rent a plane, pay an instructor.
I am moving to my camp soon (May 1). So we will see...
We call this "Hanger Flying"...
It's what pilots do to stay sharp when we are waiting for a job... or don't have flying money for more training...

Why, you got some flying money? I can go get current in a hour or so.

[Edited on 3-26-2019 by fishbuck]

Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 05:02 PM

I love reading these old posts. I was going to chime in about Capt. Munoz and my flying in Baja, but I see I already did, 3 years ago! I still check the aviation activity at Serenidad when we fly commercial into Loreto. Not much going on there anymore. I hope it rebounds, they are a great group.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 06:01 PM

Hi Vince... Keep on trucking... 'er flying Baja!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Vince  
I love reading these old posts. I was going to chime in about Capt. Munoz and my flying in Baja, but I see I already did, 3 years ago! I still check the aviation activity at Serenidad when we fly commercial into Loreto. Not much going on there anymore. I hope it rebounds, they are a great group.

I will kick in a little here--------I worked the flight-line for "Jim's Air" at Lindberg Field in the mid-60's and we often serviced the Lodestar inside and out when it came in, and Munoz tipped really well. I got my Commercial Pilots lic. at Jim's Air, but never flew the Baja circuit, regretfully. Later, I flew for the National Park Service for a couple of years which was a real kick. (-:

[Edited on 9-8-2022 by Barry A.]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2022 at 07:45 AM

What a great story!! The closest I got to Capt. Muñoz was seeing him drive by Camp Gecko, 20 years ago! My dad got to sit in the co-pilot's seat with Muñoz in 1967, however. What a great experience for him! I think he went south from L.A. Bay to Mulegé and Puerto Vallarta, then back north to Tijuana? I was 10 when I heard the story!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.