Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SF350 Course Marking Video
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2019 at 01:19 PM
SF350 Course Marking Video

Here are two videos of the course marking crew. Matami does not look good for some racers.

RM 0 to RM 170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArGP7p4nqDo

RM180 to RM350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojDpzuRZ3c0
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2019 at 01:26 PM

Check out the metal gate at about 4 minutes in on the second video going up the summit and how they get around it.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2019 at 05:08 PM

Yup, I was going down hill after dark when I got to that gate.
Along came three mexican trucks full of Yucca stumps and they opened the gate with their key.
Like the guys demonstrated it is pretty steep off the side.
BTW. do not drive this road after the race because the gate will be repaired and locked.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Here are two videos of the course marking crew. Matami does not look good for some racers.

Thanks, will watch tonight on the big screen. It's likely I'll be in Matomi during the race, so I'll pay particular attention to that section of the video.

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 06:47 PM

I can't wait to see what happens in Matomi on race day! The first ones through that don't get stuck are gonna have some clean air! Bet there's gonna be a major log jam!!!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 06:38 AM

There are a bunch of local guys in Matomi today stacking and moving rocks. Maybe they can make go arounds for the big immovable rocks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 07:05 AM

On Facebook, I am seeing many videos of the problems of the pre-runner racers at Matomi Canyon Narrows! SEE: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2313588538914028

It would not surprise me if they make a simple change before race day and go from the sulfur mine across to Valle Chico using Azufre Wash (CaƱada el Parral), instead.

[Edited on 4-3-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 07:50 AM

I think going west in Matomi is not good. In all the years working with old SCORE we were told gong west would be extreme for many rigs. We were told to stop proposing going west in Matomi. Gravity always helps.
The other arroyos have similar issue when going west, but not a severe as Matomi. One year we had to use a front end loader to make Huatamote passable. It was so bad even 4x4 Jeep had difficulty. Nowadays profit motive prevents using tractors to improve the track.
Go fast racers which are almost entirely 2wd, rear drive are not suitable for slow rock crawling and the drivers do not have experience to it without getting stuck.
I am with David Azufre would be a easier choice. Not without the new issue of significant stretches of very soft and deep sand.
Trouble is the mystery of Matomi would not be there and the mileage would be less.
I wonder if a last minute change will be made?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
I think going west in Matomi is not good. In all the years working with old SCORE we were told gong west would be extreme for many rigs. We were told to stop proposing going west in Matomi. Gravity always helps.
The other arroyos have similar issue when going west, but not a severe as Matomi. One year we had to use a front end loader to make Huatamote passable. It was so bad even 4x4 Jeep had difficulty. Nowadays profit motive prevents using tractors to improve the track.
Go fast racers which are almost entirely 2wd, rear drive are not suitable for slow rock crawling and the drivers do not have experience to it without getting stuck.
I am with David Azufre would be a easier choice. Not without the new issue of significant stretches of very soft and deep sand.
Trouble is the mystery of Matomi would not be there and the mileage would be less.
I wonder if a last minute change will be made?

I agree, if they don't change it, it is likely to be a mess!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 07:58 AM

The same bottleneck happened in CalamajuƩ Canyon in 2006, as it was very wet and the racers were getting stuck in the mud there.

I drove across in Azufre Wash in 2017, after those exposed boulders (previously under sand) in Matomi prevented me from safely going through. Azufre Wash was a breeze with the exception of a tree blocking the road... I removed it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 02:54 PM

And it happened on the race summit going up hill when broken down racer blocked others. Several tried to go around and ended up on their side. Took hours to get the blockage opened up.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.