Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mike's to El coyote
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2019 at 05:22 PM

Ken, Just ignore Davids comments. He gets his 4x4 info second or third hand or from the false stuff on the Internet.

Here i am in Moab and guess what? I have not seen a Toyota so far. No 4x4s even in town. The same comment applied to trails in Colorado.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-15-2019 at 07:16 PM

Hey Paul, I am not being insulting. Why are Jeep owners so defensive?
My concern was preservation of roads and spinning tires on 2WD rigs is bad for the roads. I didn't blame anyone but only mentioned it is wise to be in 4WD on dirt roads.

I began four wheeling as soon as my dad let me. He had a Wagoneer from 1965 to 1971, then a Chevy Suburban 4WD.
My first Jeep was a new (1975.5) Cherokee Chief with QuadraTrac. In 1977 I sold the Jeep and bought a new Subaru 4WD wagon. You learn how to be skilled driving with 13" tires and no low range! I got it to Gonzaga on the oldest road in '79, the full Arroyo Matomí, and the bottomless sand of Shell Island with ease. I bought two more 4X4 Subarus over the next 10 years. The last one had low range.

I think Harald here is the Nomad 4WD expert, his website is www.4x4abc.com I have never claimed to be an expert, just a fan and user if 4WD with over 50 years of experience in 4WDs.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 12:01 AM

It makes perfect sense David. Use 4x4 before you need it to roll past. Better then spinning 2wd then find out 4x4 won't get you out. My exp. Only 50 years but 4x4 my second love dirt bikes first. I'm going back to coyotes again tomorrow I'm told forest route. Not even passable on dirt bike will report.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 09:05 AM

I encountered a couple Mexicans when I walked up the road along the creek last week toward Rancho Garate. One guy (Antonio) had a clean shirt on, so maybe they were owners. The road was pretty hashed up with no recent signs of vehicle travel. I was quite surprised to see anyone up there, and I'm sure they wondered what some crazy old gringo with a flyrod was doing there as well. I decided not to camp at the rancho since it seemed possibly occupied and just camped near Mike's. Hot as hell in the day, near freezing at night.

John
Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 10:19 AM

I find David's 2nd & 3rd hand information more useful and interesting than PaulW's personal accounts.

Just to keep things in perspective.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-19-2019 at 06:59 PM

I also feel David has good info and others here. As far as Toys not seen in tuff places. Then you never been dirt biking in baja. We have seen old ones in places they should not. Or anything with 4 wheels.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-20-2019 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

My concern was preservation of roads and spinning tires on 2WD rigs is bad for the roads. I didn't blame anyone but only mentioned it is wise to be in 4WD on dirt roads.

David,

The new bypass that leads around to the Pole Line Road is full of steep climbs, go-arounds and more steep climbs. You will find that to get up many of these steep climbs that 4WD and on occasion, a locking differential is necessary to preserve the trail leading (eventually) to the White Tank. Although it falls to individual preference, 4WD becomes a constant necessity that helps preserve drivetrain, and tires. I think that most 4 wheelers are already on board with this idea. Just some vehicles may not have the differentials in place such as selectable lockers to keep tire spinning under control. Before I bought my Rubicon, my Ford Ranger had open differentials and 4.88 gears. On the shelf road behind Mike's, I slid very close to the edge of the cliff due to my running all terrain tires and not having selectable locking differentials. Live and learn.

Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2019 at 12:57 PM

Really great info Ken. I appreciate you sharing that and opening my eyes a bit. Thanks!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.