Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mike's to El coyote
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 02:46 PM

Here is a image of an older (3/2016) track. Old enough to show where the road was not passable, but with the go around.

Mike 2 CoyoteR75.jpg - 236kB
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 02:51 PM

Paul is that where big trees are in canyon?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 03:01 PM

The place marked "Rd Gone" was a huge washout. Back then Mike from Coyote posted several pictures. We took the suggestion and did not try the washout. Since then I have read that that section is repaired.
Many have driven the road these days, as big as a stock f150 crew cab.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 03:04 PM

Thank you I would love to run it in my Nissan will pre run on moto first.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 03:18 PM

In October 2017, Mike at El Coyote (Michael Diogo) didn't think any stock 4x4 could get through. I got to between (on Paul's map) '17500' and 'Y' on a low range hill climb on a boulder when my rear drum brake came apart... So I couldn't get to the really bad part (according to Mr. Diogo). Here's a post I made in early 2018:

So, last October I tried... and almost immediately after leaving El Coyote for Mike's, the road was awful. Deep dips that almost wanted to grab my bumper and a 4-low boulder climb about 3.5 miles from El Coyote... after that my rear brake failed so I limped back to El Coyote... There, Michael Diogo said I hadn't even gotten to the "bad" part yet. Earlier he warned me that the road was almost too bad for motorcycles and he wasn't recommending any stock or near stock 4WDs go.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 05:19 PM

Ha - Those WPs on the image I posted came for others. Some were from Tom, but not the 17500??
BTW my son drove his F150 Crew thru without touching in summer 2018. No reports this winter of any difficulties from more than one trip.
John M
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 05:35 PM
GPS track of the route?

Paul, would you have the GPS of the route you posted or did it come from plotting it on GoogleEarth?

John M
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 06:07 PM

John, Ck your email
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 08:25 AM

I will try to get up to Coyotes this Friday if they have room. May try route to Mikes on moto two up. If not will go on off road forest route below park entrance. It is a locked gate route one of the best up there. I have key to get in as friend has cabin back in there. This is the road built to carry power lines also water pipe going down to Margarita Rancho. Since big rains maybe washed out.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2019 at 08:33 AM

I made it to El Coyote Friday morning. Rode with Mike that lives in back of Coyote. I rode single track two up First time for the lady. She was so scared on down hills she jumped off bike 5 times. After a hour she stayed put. Next day Saturday Mike told me you had better do route by yourself. He said you will not make it two up I took his advice glad I did. So as you leave Coyote few miles out you get to T Lt side the washed out way. We rode it and Walked every foot to see if we could. Find a way to drive a 4x4 past it. The steep climb is doable but to get to it no go as large boulders. Too much for anything but rock climber. So made U turn on bikes to go normal 4X4 route. The good part I think my Nissan would make it. Would it be fun on some of it.The rest is rock pounding. After I did the pole line run in 15 I had skid plates made. Front bumper to transfer case as some of the rock step climbs. Could easy take out your oil pan if your rig not lifted enough. I don't know what there called but some guys carry those . Ladder ramps I think those would be helpful to not damage oil pan on three places. Going up of down I could meet anyone doing that route at Coyotes. Would be adventure for sure .
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2019 at 11:43 AM

I think I did the section with the hill a few years ago but I went down the hill. I was in my Tacoma and at dinner the night before at Mikes I was talking with a man and wife that had rode a dirt bike thru there. He said it was the only place his wife got off and walked. When I asked if he thought I could make it going down the hill he said yes. As I got to the place the road crossing the arroyo had a drop off of about 5-6 feet on the hill side and less that two feet on the other side. I thought about it for a while looking at the boulders at the bottom of the hill. Finally I said what the heck and put it in 4x4 low and slowly went down the hill. At the bottom I went back and forth until I got around the boulders then up the short drop off.

I'm not sure I could make it up the hill then. It is pretty steep and at the top is a 90 degree turn onto the road. With front and rear lockers maybe. I didn't have a front locker then.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2019 at 12:39 PM

Yes tmw that old way no more . New way going to Mike's over to rt of old way. The hill climbing part not bad. Problem is to get to it in canyon large boulders. The Moto way from top is only 12 in trail and rock one side to grab. Foot peg then 10 foot fall I rode past It. Mike was smart went in canyon over rocks easy on bikes. We also went the gated closed old route. Witch is very nice way . That would by pass most of the bad parts for a 4x4.
gorton

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 10:02 AM

My wife and I did Mike's to El Coyote this week in our stock 2017 F250 Powerstroke with dealer tires. A workout but super fun! Spent the weekend hiking in the San Pedro Martir, beautiful! Then a death defying trip back through Ensenada to get back to San Felipe. I WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND Mike's to El Coyote for a memorable trip. Oh and the flowers are increadible this year!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 12:44 PM

Welcome to Nomad, gorton!
Thanks for the report!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 03:44 PM

4/8/2019 we left San Felipe, went thru the dry lake bed (Laguna Diablo) to Mikes, El Coyote, Meling, the old race course to the ranch with the grapes, took the trail to Santo Domingo and out to Vicente Guerro, the roads were all in good shape, we had one new JL, a 2013 jk, AND A 2006 lJ. Hardly had to use 4 wheel drive. We spent the night at the old Mill, was there 2 weeks ago the rooms were $37, they had a price increase to $47 this trip.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 03:58 PM

Using 4WD on dirt roads (along with deflating the tires some), particularly steep and rocky roads like south of Mike's, is being friendly to the road. In 2WD, the chances of spinning tires is greatly increased. This is what destroys road surfaces, right after rain. Unless you are worried about running out of gas, please consider keeping the transfer case engaged and be kind to Baja's dirt roads. Just a though and request for the 4x4 gang here.

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2019 at 07:43 AM

David, I have been 4 wheeling for many years, much of that route is very doable in 2 wheel drive , there was no spinning of tires, that might be the difference between a toyota and a Jeep.(LOL)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2019 at 08:33 AM

LOL...
Hmmm... well, when you have four wheel drive you should use it, it is a wonderful thing. The lubricating the front driveline is a good thing when in four-wheel drive, too.

I am sure you are a great four-wheeler, and I love that you go places I like to go, too!

"Tread Lightly" is Jeep term, I thought? My first four-wheel drive vehicle was a Jeep. I hated the unreliability of it as I liked exploring Baja without needing to bring others along in their rigs each time for help. Also, the cost to repair it was nuts, so I went Japanese for my next 4WD vehicles (Subaru and Toyota) and they have never left me stranded... 1977-1994 and 2000-2019. It was Tom Miller (The Baja Book author and W.O.N. writer) who turned me onto 4WD Subarus.

Tacomas have limited slip systems (since 2009) in 2WD and 4WD. Good tires, proper inflation, and driving experience all help, of course.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-15-2019 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
LOL...
"Tread Lightly" is Jeep term, I thought? My first four-wheel drive vehicle was a Jeep. I hated the unreliability of it as I liked exploring Baja without needing to bring others along in their rigs each time for help. Also, the cost to repair it was nuts, so I went Japanese for my next 4WD vehicles (Subaru and Toyota) and they have never left me stranded... 1977-1994 and 2000-2019. It was Tom Miller (The Baja Book author and W.O.N. writer) who turned me onto 4WD Subarus.

Tacomas have limited slip systems (since 2009) in 2WD and 4WD. Good tires, proper inflation, and driving experience all help, of course.

David,
You bring up this early 1970's Jeep experience as if it were yesterday. The Jeep vehicles have been reengineered many times over since your lemon was purchased. That said, my Dad (RIP) bought an early 80's Grand Wagoneer in the mid 80's, serviced it mostly himself, then took it to a Jeep shop here in Riverside where it was looked over, upgraded. We drove it multiple times back to Oklahoma and Tennessee without a hiccup! My Rubicon has plastic wire harness clips that dry rotted, but other than $6 zip ties and the requisite sensor failures after 180,000 miles, I'm getting my money's worth and then some.

If the Toyota touches perfection, why did your drum brake blow apart while on the trail near Mike's?? Did it have to do with the A-TRAC system overheating the part?

Nothing against the Toyota or it's brake-based A-Trac traction system, but there have been lone Toyota owners who bought into the hype you perpetuate, getting themselves into trouble, having to abandon their full size Land Cruisers on the trail because they likely thought the vehicle was reliable and not trouble prone due to wear cycle of parts just like any 30+ year old vehicle.

rich t
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2019 at 05:18 PM

David, As Ken pointed out it seems you are living in the dark ages, I do not know what kind of Jeep you had that needed to be put in 4 wheel drive to get lubricated, but that is not the way it works, I can understand that with your inferior approach and departure angle that you have to use 4 wheel more often, it also takes the load off of your independent front suspension that is very fragile, and I have seen how the toyotas spin the rear wheels because they are so light that you need 4 wheel just to get up the slightest grade,
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.