Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: First Time Going to Loreto
e_rack

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 10:31 AM
First Time Going to Loreto

Hi, I am flying to Loreto for the first time in August for a quick trip, Tuesday till Saturday. I am debating renting an Air BNB close to the Loreto Baja Golf Course, I think it is about 12km south of the main town and I had a few questions for those who are familiar with the city.

12km is 7 miles. Do you think it would be necessary to rent a car? Or could we just take taxis when we want to go to town? Does anyone know how much a taxi would run down there? It seems like Loreto is pretty small, is there really that much to do in the town or is something that can be done in a day or two by taking taxis. Besides going to the town, I'm not sure what else I might need a rental car for.

Is it really that much more worth it to stay in the town at a hotel? It seems like the "nicer" hotels are pretty pricey and you could get a pretty darn nice airbnb for almost the same price. Thanks in advance for the advice.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 10:46 AM

My dos centavos. Loreto is one of my favorite towns in Baja -- staying in town will be a MUCH better experience than the gringo compounds by the golf course. The actual town has some great hotels and restaurants, the Mission is there, walk along the Malecon, the town has a great vibe. If you stay south of town at Nopolo, you are only cheating yourself of a great experience.

Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 10:54 AM

Ditto,
Out there you might as well be in Palm Springs, OK if all you are doing is golfing, hanging out with other tourists.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 10:57 AM

check out the golf packages at Palmar, nice nice resort!:coolup:
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 10:58 AM

I understand that I am a little prejudice when it comes to Loreto. Is there much to do in Loreto proper after a day or so, the answer is no. Then why do people like myself spend a good part of the year here if there is not much to see?

Lets start with the friendliness of the people, the easy way of life, the weather, the water, variety of restaurants and a much slower way of life than north of the border. When you go to a restaurant you feel like your in a different world. If you are looking for night time entertainment, Loreto is not the place.

It will be extremely hot in August and you will want to tee off early in the morning.

Personally speaking, I would rather stay in Loreto and take a taxi to play golf. This way you have the feel of being in a Mexican village and experience the customs and culture that Mexico has to offer. IMO Loreto Bay does not offer you that.

If you are looking to play golf and have swimming pool activities, Loreto Bay would be good and just get a taxi into town.

Any questions you can U2U me.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 11:03 AM

You want a vehicle for sure. Tons and tons of stuff to explore in the area. Loreto and the surrounding area is the best in Baja.

Rent a Jeep. One place you want to drive to for sure is Agua Verde. Maybe an hour drive South, give or take. It's a day trip you'll never forget.

Also, you'll want to visit the San Javier mission. The most beautiful mission in Baja. About a 40 min drive. And also Bahia San Juanico, which is 20 mins North of Loreto, then 10 miles down a good dirt road. One of the most picturesque bays in Baja.

Last tip, take a panga out to Isla Coronado. The water is spectacular out there. It will cost you about 1,800 pesos. You can just go over to the marina to find one.

Watch the first 3-4 mins of the video in my sig to see all these places.

[Edited on 4-1-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 11:17 AM

I agree with everything JZ said but it seems like their golfing is a priority. The more I think about it, definitely stay in town.

Depending on your budget, Mission Hotel or Coco Cabana's would work. Both have swimming pools and a short walk to the town square.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 11:22 AM

La Mision is the best hotel in Loreto. Really nice place.

I don't really see an issue with staying outside of town, IF you have a vehicle. You'll definitely want to be in town a lot of the time. If you don't have a vehicle, I'd stay in Loreto for sure.

But then, I'm the type who hates just hanging out by the pool and chatting with tourists.

[Edited on 4-1-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 12:03 PM

Renting a car and driving the 21 mile paved road to Mission San Javier for a major experience is high on any new visitor bucket list. In Loreto, eat at Orlando's, at least once.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

e_rack

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to be clear, I don't play golf at all, I just saw that there is an airbnb available somewhere close to the golf course. I also figured that Loreto isn't the place for crazy night life either and I'm totally ok with that, that's part of the reason why I want to go there. I'll have to decide what the right call is as to whether to stay in town or farther away at the golf course. I do enjoy hanging out at the pool and the tourists don't bother me. I fish and am planning to do that for one day with the Torres family.

As far as taxi rates go, does anyone how much a taxi might run from the golf course to town? It probably doesn't matter since I'll be renting a car but I would still like to know. Especially if I plan on having some drinks in town and taking a taxi there and back. I'm also assuming that taking taxi's to some of these areas further out of town would cost an arm and a leg? Thanks again.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 01:16 PM

Stay in town. Coco's has a pool and casitas have kitchens. Walking distance of the Plaza and restaurants. Check out airB&B at the golf course for future. Golf course is too far from town unless you know you'll be hanging there. Designated driver if you plan on getting drunk. Stumble home if staying at Cocos. Seriously stay in town.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 01:47 PM

The first three California missions are:
Loreto (1697)
San Javier (1699)
Ligüí (1705)

Loreto and San Javier are easy to see, but Ligüí has the red arrow pointing to it.
Your Loreto Bay Resort just below the place called Nopolo, on this 2010 map. The road is also now paved up to San Javier.

Hwy. 1 kilometer markers nearby:
Km. 119/ Km. 0: Loreto entrance.
Km. 117: San Javier highway west (21 miles).
Km. 116: Airport road east.
Km. 110.5 Nopolo.
Km. 107.5 Loreto Bay Resort.
Km. 97 Public beach near Juncalito.
Km. 94 Puerto Escondido road.
Km. 84 Ligüí (mission site 0.5 mile east, no marker, public beach another 0.5 miles east).
Km. 83 Hotel Villa del Palmar/ Danzante Bay road.

Photos:

Loreto mission, Km. 119/0 go east.

Road at Km. 97

Beach at Km. 97

Beach at Ligüí (Km. 84 + 1 miles east)

Mission San Javier:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cyberian

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 05:45 PM

I only spent two weeks there, under unique circumstances, so all previous posters have *far* more experience-

I can't help on motels or AirB&B, but La Mission does look like a very nice place and when I go back someday, I'd like to stay there.

If you don't like Mexican food (I don't. At all) , you're probably going to have a problem. I've been to Augies. Every tourist in Loreto has been to Augies. Augies can be hit or miss , but the burgers are usually fairly decent.

Best burger in Loreto, and that's not really saying much, is out at El Borracho between town & the airport on the road to San Javier not far from the main highway

The smell of the mesquite fired grill at SuperBurro was almost enough to get me to try Mexican food. My wife loves it and still raves about the carne asada there.

El Rey Taco is also not to be missed, but get there for an early lunch or you'll be too late. Once they're out of fixings, they close

If there are many pangas in the harbor mid-morning, it's slow, and you will likely get "hustled" to schedule a fishing trip. In the grocery store, gas station, bar, restaurant- they're not high pressure about it at all, but it's how they make their living and a parked boat doesn't make any money.

If you reply that you have a trip scheduled and say with whom, they'll reply "Oh! He is a good fisherman, you will have a good time!" and they mean it.

Odd thing I noticed driving is that stop signs are just suggestions. Coming to a complete stop at one may be the only time you see a local scowl at you.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 05:50 PM

Loreto proper > Gringofied fortress of Loreto Bay

August is low season, should be able to find something easily in town for cheap

[Edited on 4-2-2019 by defrag4]

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 07:01 PM

Town. Hotels, and restaurants. Lots to do. First visit, just check it out...you think I'm sharing Best Secrets? not!
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 07:48 PM

I’ve lived in both Loreto and now in Loreto Bay, or Nopolo, the area you are referring to as near the golf course. To answer your question, a taxi to or from town will run about 250 pesos.
For a quick trip, Tuesday to Saturday, you could easily do without a rental car. Stock up on groceries, turn up the ac, and swim in one of the three chilled pools and enjoy the sea in the morning before things heat up. Have a panga pick you up off the hotel and enjoy being on the water.
August is extremely hot, and as Loreto Bay is seasonal, many restaurants will be closed. Less so in town, but also, few restaurants are air conditioned. Nor are most of the local attractions. And walking to/from them will definitely bring up a nice sweat...

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 12:56 PM

Hola,

if you're staying in town, you should stay at an beautiful owner operated small boutique hotel off the main drag and within walking distance to many of the local towns' wonderful features.

hotel angra is a newer family owned small hotel ( 10 year old ? ) and extremely well maintained with very accomadating english speaking owners.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150772-d1454445-Re...

a definite 10++

bien salud, da rat

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
Hola,
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150772-d1454445-Re...

a definite 10++

bien salud, da rat

Served breakfast the time I stayed there. Good enough no problems.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 04:27 PM

I also stayed there... Feb. 2017.
It was all fine, and the continental breakfast was fine.

The problem was not the fault of the management, noise: roster crowing at midnight until...?? Dogs barking as well... neighborhood noise for a hotel in the middle of a small Mexican city. I like being able to park my truck right outside my room or inside the courtyard if that spot is taken. Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 07:06 PM

HOLA,

i'm a fairly light sleeper and i do sleep extremely well as it's one block off the main drag.

didn't hear any roosters crowing or dogs barking or loud vehicles as do most hotels on mex1.

it has been a few years staying in loreto but if i do, would stay there.

quite a few of my friends feel the same.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.