Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ride report
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 04:49 PM
Ride report

This was from a nine day ride last month with four guy's on motos. I will add to it as time permits.My spelling and punctuation are probably marginal at best along with the story telling but I do have pictures... Day one started on Friday (March 1st) after a ten hour day of work, three of us met up at 10pm for the drive South to Tecate. The last few years we have left our truck and trailer on the US side at a paid parking lot ($75 a month) and it has worked out good. We use to ride from a friends place in Del Mar, but an hour on the freeway on KTM 500's isn't much fun!
Not many pictures from the first couple of days because of the 10 hours we spent ridding in the rain on Saturday water logged both of my phones! Lesson learned! Anyway Saturday was Tecate to Coyote Cal's, should have taken about 5 hours, did I say it rained, a lot and took about 10!
We took the wine route( Hwy 3) out of town a few miles and then rode dirt to El Compadre trail to Ojos Negros for gas just past the military check point. From there it was dirt to Ejido Uruapan, then down the coast to Cal's.

I will see if I can get some pictures from the other guys for the first day? It was our first time staying at Cal's and we really enjoyed the room's, staff and food, it will be a regular stop for us.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 05:52 PM

The plan was to meet up with bajatrailrider on Sunday for some single track but because of the phone melt down I lost my contacts and wasn't able to call him until much later, thanks to help from Tomas at Cal's. Larry had other things going on so we planned to keep heading South and make it an easy day to El Rosario.
Sunday I got a call at Cal's from a kid from Kansas that had been ridding with Larry and wanted to see if he could ride South with us? Sure was the answer, can you meet us in an hour?

Meet Jared, The Kansas kid that spent the next week ridding with us. I must say, he fit right in and was fun to hangout with.

Things to come!

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 06:08 PM

Fun photos, have any more to share? re the guy from Kansas -- how did he handle riding in desert -- not like he gets to practice desert riding a lot.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2019 at 06:31 PM

I have a bunch more photos and days to post. He did just fine, it was more like we had to try to keep up, he's only 22 years old, we are all near 50! I think everyone had fun.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 07:34 AM

Thank you... Great times and great people along with lots of boojums!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 07:39 AM

Kansas guys are hard to keep up with..Jes Sayin...
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 08:58 AM

Yes this Xr600 pilot one of the best he wanted the most difficult trails we have. All of us on late model set up baja bikes. Most of our trails best on 250. He threw that 600 around like a 200 only two of our guys. Could stay ahead of him not by much. He came back week after week 22 year old has something to do with it.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 07:08 PM

Day 2:

Started a little slow as our gear was still damp from the night before and Cal's had a tour group of 20 to feed and get out the door. So we drank coffee as the Kansas kid made his way out to our location.
The plan had been the sleeping bag trail to a mountain track into El Rosario, but it's Baja and plans change! We decided on a late start and mellow ride down the coastal dirt roads as far as we could go then some pavement the rest of the way to the Baja cactus....One phones comes back to life on day three so the pictures get better.

The only flat tire of the trip was a front on my bike on day 2, no other problems after that with our equipment... Just happen to be an old truck tire sitting there that I used as a work bench.

Day 3:

El Rosario to Catavina, Via the Bill Nicholes and cactus trail, now we are talking!!!! Thanks to a fellow nomad that shared the BN track, we head South out of town about 15 miles on the highway to a dirt track to start our single track!

The sticker cactus on the cactus trail...

Fat guy resting in one of the many washes that we crossed.

This boat is a long ways from water in the bottom of a wash?

The red colored ground cover was six inches deep/thick!

Very remote, some of the most remote area I have ridden!

More day 3 to come....

[Edited on 4-5-2019 by advrider]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 07:13 PM

Beautiful. And no dust.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 07:14 PM

NICEEE!!! looks like a good day for a ride

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2019 at 08:08 PM

OK a little more day 3:

We found a few guys to have a cold beer or two with, then it was of to hotel Linda because the Mission was full. Hotel Linda is cheap, very basic and clean, did the job just fine. Day four you will see we are down a ride that had injured his foot on the BN trail earlier in the day and had to bail to the highway to Catavina.

[Edited on 4-3-2019 by advrider]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 06:38 AM

Nice trip.

There should be a monument to Bill Nichols for all the great singletrack trails he has made for the off-road m/c travelers.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 09:08 AM

I second that David the trail they rode past San Carlos. My favorite I have only done in twice. Starting different North to South then next year North to South. Great pictures
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 07:52 PM

Day-4:

Today's plan was for three of us to run the two track down the seven sisters at an enjoyable pace with a plan to make it to BOLA before dark. Being that one rider was nursing a sore foot and would be riding the highway we knew that we would have rooms and beer waiting for us!

Up next when day 4 continues will be some beach and mission photos...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 06:17 AM

Oh boy! :biggrin::bounce::cool:

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 07:31 AM

Im surprised adv report on Motel Linda. Last year I asked about hot water for shower. Owner My amigo over 40 years said Si. No hot water both rooms No lights working Cold water from shower fills bathroom floor. Asked for room with three beds Said don't have any. Next room over 3 beds. Game to get us to rent extra room. Food they served never again. The market block over south good food.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 09:58 AM

That has been my experience with that place....NG
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-5-2019 at 10:26 AM
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 12:21 PM

Yes way better to sleep in the dirt. Your shocks don't get wet from shower water outside shower.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 06:02 PM

Day 4 continued:

I would agree, Hotel Linda isn't much but we didn't have sleeping bags or much of a choice. I might checkout Santa Inez next time, couldn't be any worse. Anyway a little more day 4.....

A secret beach, LOL...

Some crazy Baja art in the background!

Our favorite Hotel in BOLA, Costa Del Sol....

It filled up fast..

We hung out with some of the locals.

And he found a bed he liked..

We stayed two nights in BOLA, always nice place to have a rest day..

We also visited the mission on the way into BOLA on day 4, those pictures are up next, stay tuned...
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 07:17 PM

Great pics. Is the great dane still around costa del sol
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.