Author: Subject: Antonio & Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Reply from Isela:
Emergency telephone number: (616)103-0262

This # is noted - and has been for years - at the bottom of the BN forum pages.... just sayin'.

;)

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 01:38 PM

I'm guessing truckers still use CB radios. And a marinre radio is CB channel I think.
So there should be a common emergency chanel and is probably monitored.
A cell phone may not work.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 03:02 PM

No, marine radio is VHF, line of sight, no skip noise.
C.B. is AM radio, lots of noise during skip conditions.

Wiki:
Marine VHF radio refers to the radio frequency range between 156 and 174 MHz, inclusive. The "VHF" signifies the very high frequency of the range.

Citizens band radio (also known as CB radio) is, in many countries, a system of short-distance radio communications between individuals typically on a selection of 40 channels within the 27 MHz (11 m) band. Citizens band is distinct from other personal radio service allocations such as FRS, GMRS, MURS, UHF CB and the Amateur Radio Service ("ham" radio).

In the US the civil aircraft communications band (118-137 MHz) generally uses 25 kHz spaced channels.
As of 2010 aeronautical enroute and flight test stations may use 8.33 kHz spaced channels in the 121.4-123.6, 128.825-132.0 and 136.5-136.875 MHz ranges.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 03:38 PM

The aircraft emergency frequency (also known as GUARD) is a frequency used on the aircraft band reserved for emergency communications for aircraft in distress. The frequencies are 121.5 MHz for civilian, also known as International Air Distress (IAD) or VHF Guard, and 243.0 MHz for military use, also known as Military Air Distress (MAD) or UHF Guard. Earlier emergency locator transmitters used the guard frequencies to transmit, but an additional frequency of 406 MHz is used by more modern ELTs.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 06:25 PM

My friends,

Thank you so much for the kind and nice words about our work down here in Baja.

But you give me too much credit... the only reason why Desert Hawks has evolved from a single ambulance service to a full Fire and Rescue Emergency Service is because the ongoing and constant support you all have extended to us... for which I personally thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks to the funds you drop or send to us, the materials, equipment, supplies and even vehicles many of you have helped to get down here, to date we have responded to over 800 emergency rescue calls, saving at least 200 direct lifes.

I know these numbers may seem low to a city emergency service, but considering that the average time spent in emergencies down here is 4-6 hours, because of the distances involved, that is a lot.

I apologize to everyone for not being as dynamic and active keeping you all posted and informed on the results of the help you have provided but sometimes all these work is overwhelming... but we are currently working on changing that.

Commitment, Inc is still the parent/legal front for Desert Hawks, both in the US and in Mexico. Andy F. Schouten is the President of such organization in the US and I am in Mexico.

For communications in that desolated area south of El Rosario we use a digital radio communication service being donated to us by a company in San Quintin, which does not use an open frequency but rather an encripted one, so that makes difficult for public radios to communicate with us through there, we have clear coverage all the way from Ensenada to Santa Rosalia though.

Thank you all again for your friendship and wonderful support in all these years... and Fishbuck... anytime you pass thru El Rosario look me up and if I am in town, you will get your ride on the Desert Hawks Fire Truck.. ;)

Hugs to you all,

Antonio Muñoz
Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue
Non-Profit Organization

[Edited on 4-6-2019 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 10:34 PM

Thanks Antonio for being the creator of such an important service!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2020 at 11:03 AM

A reminder of how important Antonio's ('BajaCactus') efforts are to both the community of El Rosario and travelers on Hwy. 1 between San Quintín and Punta Prieta.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-22-2020 at 11:29 AM

Id hate to see Antonio and Baja Cactus personnel getting sick from narcissistic American travelers at this time.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2020 at 11:43 AM

More Baja assistance comes from: https://www.makeacommitment.org/

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2020 at 01:32 PM

I saw an ambulance and fire truck heading north on Saturday. There was a terrible rollover accident about 30 miles south of El Rosario.

Antonio, you're a good man!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-22-2020 at 03:29 PM

David, Good explanation
In Baja Marine is not very good due to the low power they use. Of course, a marine frequency can be illegally used on a high wattage vhf radio.
FRS, GMRS, MURS, UHF are other formats the have little use in Baja - meaning nobody to talk to.

CB radios at 5 watts are common in the USA and many of us have a CB in our rigs. Unless someone nearby has a CB the format is useless in Baja.

Now days the best communication is via satellite. On the high price end there is Satellite radio which so far is only used commercially or by the Baja racers. In the USA Sat radio is used for most emergency organizations, like homeland, Police, fire, etc. For us common folks we use InReach or SPOT which allows sending via satellite short email messages. So far both formats fail with text messages and are highly successful for email.

Most of the desert travelers in Baja have VHF radios and of course have cell phones. Both of these formats should always be tried and will be mostly unsuccessful due to distance. For VHF extremely high wattage is best.

In the San Felipe region, the local Jeep club frequencies are a valid solution for emergencies. No known frequencies for El Roserio.

Ham radios we are familiar with in the USA are forbidden for all but Mexican nationals. However, there are Mexican repeaters, mostly in the big cities, that can be accessed in the VHF band. So, if you can find the rx/tx frequencies then it is a possible solution. Once again high power to reach the distant repeater is the key. Not a good solution IMO.

Aircraft frequencies sure would work if there is a plane overhead to relay a message to an airport and subsequent help.

Bottomline is Inreach or the latest SPOT is the answer for most travelers.

=== === =

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
No, marine radio is VHF, line of sight, no skip noise.
C.B. is AM radio, lots of noise during skip conditions.

Wiki:
Marine VHF radio refers to the radio frequency range between 156 and 174 MHz, inclusive. The "VHF" signifies the very high frequency of the range.

Citizens band radio (also known as CB radio) is, in many countries, a system of short-distance radio communications between individuals typically on a selection of 40 channels within the 27 MHz (11 m) band. Citizens band is distinct from other personal radio service allocations such as FRS, GMRS, MURS, UHF CB and the Amateur Radio Service ("ham" radio).

In the US the civil aircraft communications band (118-137 MHz) generally uses 25 kHz spaced channels.
As of 2010 aeronautical enroute and flight test stations may use 8.33 kHz spaced channels in the 121.4-123.6, 128.825-132.0 and 136.5-136.875 MHz ranges.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.