Author: Subject: ULSD in BCS
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 10:40 AM
ULSD in BCS

This was just posted in the Vagabundos del Mar newsletter:
Road Report and ULSD

Randy Brown report - MX 1 is in the best shape that it has been for the past 3-4 years. They have repaired the majority of the potholes and sinkholes. The driving lines are now painted on the new section of road near the Catavina area. There are still some potholes and road construction, so you need to drive with caution. It is very important not to drive at night. You would not be able to see the potholes at night. Randy went to one of the Loreto Pemex stations in town and asked the manager if they had Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD). The manager could not answer but offered to show him the specifications of the fuel that was recently delivered. Randy noticed that the sulfur level was 500ppm not 15ppm. Randy asked if he could keep a copy of the report. He asked at the station on the highway and they did not have the ULSD. He found that Baja California Norte has ULSD. From Guerrero Negro to Loreto does not have ULSD. La Paz and Cabo has ULSD.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 03:37 PM

I'm trying to wrap my head around why ULSD would be from south of La Paz and north of GN...........but not in-between. What would be the source of that LSD fuel and who would be driving through ULSD country to deliver it to that area only?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 03:42 PM

Yes, that is bizarre indeed. Fuel for BCS comes from the the La Paz depot. Fuel for BCN comes from the El Sauzal (Ensenada) and Mexicali depots. Fuel sold from Guerrero Negro to Cabo San Lucas all comes from La Paz depot.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 04:39 PM

I spoke with a Pemex person a bit over a year ago when the Asuncion station switched from Pemex to Repsol and asked about ULSD in BCS and his said that all BCS fuel comes through La Paz. While mainland refineries produce both LSD and ULSD there is no guarantee that any tanker pulling into La Paz would have either blends. When the mainland refineries go 100% ULSD, Pemex would make A big deal of it and then and only then would be assured of ULSD. From Ross man's for what it's worth department.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 12:12 PM

So, Rossman, do you figure that Repsol fuel is actually produced at Pemex refineries?

Workers at Arco stations over here in Sonora are adamant that their fuel is from refineries in Texas. Their diesel is listed at ULSD.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 12:19 PM

A friend with a newer Sprinter van who has spent the last couple of months camping around BCS told me the other day he hasn't seen any indications of ULSD but hasn't had any issues like engine throwing an error code.

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
So, Rossman, do you figure that Repsol fuel is actually produced at Pemex refineries?

Workers at Arco stations over here in Sonora are adamant that their fuel is from refineries in Texas. Their diesel is listed at ULSD.

That i my understanding. If you want to open a non Pemex station in Mexico, you will buy your fuel from Pemex. It may be one of those things that you hear 3 times and it becomes a belief, but I do know that the the same trucks that used to replenish the Pemex here in BA, are now providing the fuel to Repsol. The tankers are not marked as Pemex but rather some sort of contractor number on them.
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  
A friend with a newer Sprinter van who has spent the last couple of months camping around BCS told me the other day he hasn't seen any indications of ULSD but hasn't had any issues like engine throwing an error code.

I have heard that before and the Sprinter diesels seem to be more and more prevalent down here and seem to be least affected by the fuel. My highly subjective opinion is that the Dodge diesels will be the first vehicles to throw a fit if the fuel doesn't meet the ULSD specs. But I won't argue with anyone who tells me I'm full of crap. Just my observation.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 03:44 PM

Ross, there are so many differing opinions on this subject. A few weeks back I emailed Bea, a friend and volunteer at our La Paz clinic. She and her husband Willy own 7 or 10 (?) gas stations in La Paz, some are Pemex and at least one is a Chevron. At that time, just a short while back, I asked for a friend with a newer diesel about the LSD/ULSD situation down there and Willy said LSD only. Go figure???

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 03:45 PM

Rossman has the correct info if what I also heard was true.

Gasoline all comes from a regional depot... gasoline is the same and there is only a chance that special ingredients (like Techron for Chevron) are added into the delivery truck between the depot and the station.

In San Diego, our depot is right next to I-15 where it meets Mission Valley (by the old stadium). Fuel trucks with Shell, Chevron, Arco, etc. all fill up there... You see them lined up as you drive by... All getting gas (or diesel) from a common source tank.

I wish Antonio (Pemex station owner) was reading Nomad and would respond. He has said, if another brand made him a better deal than Pemex, he would switch. As difficult as Pemex has been to its franchise owners, I don't blame them for jumping ship!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 07:31 AM

According to this website and others, Arco gas is NOT rebranded fuel from Pemex or any other Mexican refiner. It is refined in the San Antonio Texas area by a company called Andeavor.

These fuels carry the Top Tier designation that several fuel companies have agreed to use as a specific standard for fuel.

http://profuels.mx/
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 09:17 AM

Just for fun I looked for an email address on the Pemex web site that I might ask specifically about ULSD in BCS. Got a fairly quick response and this is it.

Buenos días, C. Ross Zoerhof

Recibimos su solicitud en este Centro de Contacto, en respuesta le informamos que el Diésel UBA “Diésel Ultra Bajo Azufre” se comercializa en los estados de Monterrey, Guadalajara, Frontera Norte del País, Valle de México y Área Metropolitana.

Así mismo le proporcionamos la liga de acceso al portal de nuestro combustibles Pemex:

http://www.pemex.com/negocio/gasolineras/nuestros-productos/...

Ahí podrá encontrar las especificaciones y ficha técnica de cada uno de nuestros productos.

Esperamos que esta información sea de su utilidad.

Estamos para servirle.

The link provided has worthless info from my point of view but the gist of this communication is that ULSD is marketed in the Northern Border states, Monterrey, Guadalajara, Metropolitan and surrounding area of Mexico City.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  

The link provided has worthless info from my point of view but the gist of this communication is that ULSD is marketed in the Northern Border states, Monterrey, Guadalajara, Metropolitan and surrounding area of Mexico City.

That covers only Pemex, because there IS other ULSD in other parts of the country; this Arco/Andeavor/Pro Fuels endeavor being one of them.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.