Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: Toyota Tacoma- terrible review in Motor Trend
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Should leave this alone,but....5000 lbs isn't much.of a load. Capacity on that toy is about 6600lbs 5000 lbs=about 4 1/2 roundbales of Alfalfa. "OL Smokey" my 98 Dodge Cummins regularly towed a 13 bale load up and down hills and never missed a beat.Towing capacity was 31,000 lbs. ..

What hills? There are hills in kansas? You call those things hills?

Very few of us want to tow 31,000 lbs. if i want to tow 15 tons, i will hire someone.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 05:32 PM

You ARE a 31000 lb load, goatley....
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 06:26 PM

Or 15 TONS:lol:

You ARE a 31000 lb load, goatley....

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 06:27 PM

Mount Sunflower is 4039 feet. A lot higher than a prairie dog burrow.

John

[Edited on 4-5-2019 by John Harper]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

‘The State of Kansas gradually increases in elevation from the east to the west. As such, "Mount" Sunflower, while the highest point in the state in terms of elevation, is virtually indistinguishable from the surrounding terrain.”

According to the Kansas geol survey the tallest hill in Kansas is 418 feet. To put that in perspective the tallest building in Kansas is 385 ft.

[Edited on 4-5-2019 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 03:40 AM

Fascinating!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 05:35 AM

I am amazed and amused at how quickly the subject changes on this forum, in this case from trucks to geography..all based on erroneous assumption! When I was still on the home place (Boys are there now) Most of the hay purchased came out of SW Nebraska. Sometimes S. Dakota. Trucked to NW Kansas. I would imagine that is still true SO: Goathead can occupy himself today by doing a topographical analysis of those areas. We spend most of our time at our condos in Boulder Co, and Santa fe Nm. We also have a small home in St.Francis Ks. And,until a few years ago maintained a home in Mulege. Its called "Retirement"....Stay well all..
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 05:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

‘The State of Kansas gradually increases in elevation from the east to the west. As such, "Mount" Sunflower, while the highest point in the state in terms of elevation, is virtually indistinguishable from the surrounding terrain.”

According to the Kansas geol survey the tallest hill in Kansas is 418 feet. To put that in perspective the tallest building in Kansas is 385 ft.

Some people just have no sense of humor.

It was a joke. I guess it went right over your head.

Come on Goat, turn that frown upside down, it's Friday!

John

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 07:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

[Edited on 4-5-2019 by mtgoat666]
Village Idiot 666 strikes again Knows Nada.:bounce:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 07:58 AM

Hey John! I'll drive right by Ol Mt. Sunflower next week! Headed for my Grandkids in West Texas. I Have never seen it! May trek to the very top and plant a flag.....Thanks...stay well
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 08:23 AM

For those of you have are not familiar with "Round Bales"...This one has a DB bailed up in it!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 08:34 AM

DB? diamondback?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 08:48 AM

Hey John! I'll drive right by Ol Mt. Sunflower next week! Headed for my Grandkids in West Texas. I Have never seen it! May trek to the very top and plant a flag.....Thanks...stay well

Post up a photo from the summit. The Mt. Whitney of Kansas!

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
DB? diamondback?

DB = Feminine hygiene product.

John
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 09:06 AM

DOUBLE LOL!!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
desided to buy a new4 door pick-up, primarily for traveling to and from Baja, but also alot of travel in general. we put about 70,000 miles per year on our 2 vehicles.

I wanted comfort and smooth ride, but awd or 4wd absolute must. went in to the Toyota dealer all set to buy a tacoma, I loved its reputation, and man does it hold resale value! . Boy was I disapointed. just sitting in it was awfull, very limited space in the rear seats, front seats squished you into tight cubbies, didn't ride that great' it would be terrible on long road trips. I could not talk myself into it.

went to ford, F150 was nice, but had a pretty stiff ride, and the price was pretty stiff as well.

and on and on, for 2 weeks, dealer by dealer eliminating vehicles.

eventually went into Honda - walked out with an awd ridgeline I got for cheaper than the Tacoma, has a fantastic ride, loads of room front and back seats, really neat 2 way tail gate plus lockable trunk. The thing checked all the boxes. so 2 months into it, just rolled over 9000 miles, and it is absolutely fantastic. 23.8 - 25 mpg, rated to tow 6000 lbs, thats more than I tow.. I'd like it alot more, but my widfe took it away from me, and kicked me into her old range rover.

I do fully understand that the Ridgeline does not come equiped with the artificial penis inflator, but as my wife pointed out, I really didn't need that.

[Edited on 4-4-2019 by caj13]

This vehicle you mention would satisfy a lot of people who aren't "explorers" (why buy a truck for "exploring", when you are only going to be "exploring" 1% of the driving time, or less?), but want the convenience of a truck bed and the fuel economy of an SUV. And while Ridgelines dont have true 4wd, the electronic traction control available in many vehicles these days is plenty good for most loose surface conditions.

Many here are forgetting that, by far, the fastest growing, and maybe the largest (in terms of units sold) segment of the RV industry is the lightweight trailer at 20 feet or under. Look on the road this summer, while you are vacationing. Look in the campgrounds. These things are taking over. And I'm not talking about the R-pod like vehicles that are basically little more than sleeping quarters.

I think one of these will be in my future pretty soon. Many have clearance for taking on dirt roads, 'cause they know that's what people want. Many have queen sized Murphy beds with true mattresses that dont have to fold. When the bed is up, there is a full sized sofa under it.

And many don't force you to deal with a built in dinette that is never very comfortable to sit in longer than it takes to eat a meal. So, you can have comfortable chairs and a moveable, foldable table that can be set up outside, too. This even frees up space to have even recliners in there.

Yeah, they can be towed with an SUV. And SUVs have some comfort, convenience and security benefits over a mid-sized truck with an open bed. But one trend that I am disappointed in, with respect to SUVs, is the move away from the rear window that can be opened or lowered independent of the "tailgate". That can limit how long an object you can put in an SUV.

We now own a second generation Toyota Highlander. This thing is so easy to drive on the highway or dirt roads, compared to the still-going-strong F350 or the Jeep LJ. At 65 mph on the highway, it still gets 28-30 mpg. Nice! You can just feel the reliability in this thing. Everything works, everything is predictable (brakes, acceleration, turning, suspension) as far as driveability goes........even with over 100k miles.

But it does suffer from what every Toyota I have ever owned suffers from. Rather crappy interior, smallish seats and very poor sound insulation from road noise. And that tailgate window issue.

But it is roomy for an SUV that gets that kind of mileage. It will literally seat seven (third row in back). Not that comfortably, but fine for being the occasional carpool vehicle for dinner out with friends or heading to the pickleball courts.

Where I'm going with this is, one needs to really analyze your present and future needs and figure out whether you actually need a vehicle as capable as a F-150-350 or a Tacoma or 4Runner, or whether some truck hybrid like an SUV or Ridgeline is all you need. Don't base it on 1-2 trips to Baja in a year. The savings in fuel economy can be significant; like 20-30% in some cases.

I plan on keeping the F350 and the Highlander. There will be trips to the developed campground that make sense for the SUV to tow the light travel trailer. And there will be more middle-of-nowhere trips where the F350 will tow the trailer and the ATV will be in the bed of the truck.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 09:34 AM

What he said...
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 05:00 PM

Talk about hauling things, in 1966 I had a pallet of concrete blocks loaded in the bed of my brothers 1966 FORD F100. That was done in Mission Valley in San Diego and I drove it over the hill to Lemon Grove. The fork lift operator said the load was 3200 lbs. I did it twice. FORD TOUGH. The truck sat a little low and didn't have a lot of get up and go but that 300ci straight six with a 4 speed stick did the job.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 05:10 PM

One of the best motors Ford ever built!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 07:26 PM

chitty mpg but love the timing GEAR!:P
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.