Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Kat and her dog are missing
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 05:25 PM
Kat and her dog are missing

Kat Hammontre
A group drove to the Diablo Trail head Thursday with the intent to hike to the waterfall. Kat and dog stayed at the TH. When the group got back she was missing. They searched until 1AM. The next morning the Scorpion Jeep SAR group formed up and began to search again. Meanwhile the Marine helicopter got airborne and searched until winds got to high.
Last report was that ground search is ongoing as of Friday PM.
Read san felipe chater to keep up with developments.

[Edited on 4-13-2019 by PaulW]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 08:18 PM

Her husband is known as Wornout here on this forum. She has not been found yet. Info can be found on the faceook page San Felipe Chatter.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 08:40 PM

Long time notable SF resident, this will be, I believe the second
nite out there. Wish the searchers all the best. Certainly hope they find her tomorrow

Desert Rat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 12:15 AM

A guided group left San Pedro Martir for Picacho del Diablo and plan to end their trip by following Diablo Canyon to the eastern trailhead. They should reach the trailhead this Sunday. It wouldn't hurt to check with them when they return. I hope that she shows up safe and sound. Mr. and Mrs "Wornout" were very helpful to me and Don Jorge on our hike to Picacho several years ago.

[Edited on 4-13-2019 by Desert Rat]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Desert Rat  
A guided group left San Pedro Martir for Picacho del Diablo and plan to end their trip by following Diablo Canyon to the eastern trailhead. They should reach the trailhead this Sunday. It wouldn't hurt to check with them when they return. I hope that she shows up safe and sound. Mr. and Mrs "Wornout" were very helpful to me and Don Jorge on our hike to Picacho several years ago.

I copied and posted over on San Felipe Chatter.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 08:17 AM

I do hope she is ok.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 09:25 AM

Do you know how to get in touch with this group so they can keep their eyes open?
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 11:15 AM

Here's Kat's blog: Kat's Korner

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 02:11 PM

This Facebook page is used by rescue teams, agencies, and individuals.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1691363387781324/

Correct spelling is Kat Hammontre.
PaulW - you might want to correct that in your original post to help avoid confusion.

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 02:15 PM

More info on Kat's Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/bajakat/timeline?lst=10000100258341...

Including this info:
"My forever Sister, please return to us. #SanFelipe peeps, please post a picture of Kat with you or another friend; let’s ANCHOR her home 🙏🏻

Update: An official command post is being established by the Mexicali Fire Department at Rancho Santa Clara. Everyone joining in the search are required to register at the Command Post before heading out.

The rancho Santa Clara coordinates will follow shortly.

Please relay this information immediately to anyone who's already headed out to the desert.

Again, please follow the chain of command.

Update #2:

The coordinates to Rancho Santa Clara where the Command Post is located are (in 3 different formats):

UTM: 11R 664545 Easting 3440240 Northing

Decimal degrees: Latitute: 31.084447 Longitude: -115.27500365190791

Degrees, minutes, seconds: 31 degrees 05 minutes 04.0092 seconds N / 115 degrees 16 minutes 30.0131 W

Anyone heading out to the search is required to sign-in and sign-out.

Please, avoid freelance search efforts!"

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 04:05 PM

So, she disappeared from the trailhead, where the vehicle(s) were left that transported the hikers to the trailhead. She was not part of the hike, itself?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 04:08 PM

She stayed behind at the vehicle's location and was expected to wait for the hikers.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 04:14 PM

And this is on the desert (east) side of the mountain, at the dry lake?
Dang, wish everyone the best!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Do you know how to get in touch with this group so they can keep their eyes open?

Not true. Group got tired and hiked out through the park. They are back today. Original plan was to exit through desert but switched last night.
Desert Rat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 04:56 PM

Thanks, Luke, for the update on the guided hikers from San Pedro Martir.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 04:59 PM

Luke,
Are you planning to come to the climbers' party at El Topo?
- John
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 06:31 PM

Posted on Facebook.. "Here is what happened according to David Cougher: . To set the record straight and avoid conjecture, This was a day trip. 3 vehicles. Jeep, Xterra and Ford F-150. Warren and I stayed at the Canyon Parking area. Seven people including Kat hiked to the entrance of the falls. Kat had Tootsie with her and decided to not climb to the pools. She said she’d be right there when they returned. Pretty common when some folks in a group don’t feel physically able to climb. Did this hike numerous times and has several older less moblile people opt to stay put before the ascent. Group returned in 70-90 minutes and she was gone. Group didn’t see nor hear Tootsie or Kat. They returned to the Parking area and realizing she didn’t venture back to that location and an immediate search was launched. A professional photographer’s drone was launched to view the falls and canyon down to the ranch while the search group went back on the trail to retrace the area and search the East area past the parking. Horns were sounded, yelling and driving to the Ranch in case she ventured that far. After hours of searching, Warren gave numbers to be called to mobilize and notify search groups. He stayed on site while cars left to get cell service to alert authorities. She was not left. She was not abandoned. She wandered off on her own. All efforts available at the time were used to search for her."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 06:59 PM

Thanks for that Ralph. I tried to find the original post on FACEBOOK to get details but as we know, FB is impossible for some to find a single post.

There was a past lost person with nearly the exact same situation. He decided not to go all the way to the falls and headed back to the parking area. Except that he missed the trail that goes from the arroyo to the road. As I recall, he walked all the way to the dry lake to be found. I am a bit fuzzy on the details, but Kat's situation sounds so similar.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 07:27 PM

I can see how someone could get lost in there. Very dense growth and It all looks alike. Hope they find her soon.

grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 08:39 AM

Sadly, Kat is still missing. Here is a post from Facebook this morning from her husband Warren (Wornout) that explains what happened and how the search is progressing. Keep them in your thoughts.

"I am sorry I am unable to answer each and every email, text and call I am receiving and am so thankful for what is going on in search of my beloved wife Kat, and our dog Tootsie. Below is some information as to what happened and what has been done up to now. Anybody reading this that has any more information, please add to this post. Thank you Dave for posting the first part of this.

Sharing from: David Cougher: To set the record straight and avoid conjecture, here is what happened on Thursday, Aril 11th, 2019, Warren and Kat’s One Year Anniversry. This was a three vehicle (Jeep, Xterra and Ford F-150) day trip to Diablo Canyon where the waterfalls are.. Warren and I stayed at the Canyon Parking area. Seven people including Kat, and her dog Tootsie, hiked on the trail to the spot where the trail first intersects with running water in the arroyo. Kat had Tootsie with her and decided to not continue up the arroyo, to the falls, since it is a climb to the pools and she just wanted to take Tootsie to the water. The trail from the parking to the arroyo, where there is running water, is between one quarter and three eights mile. The trail is fairly well marked. Once the group got to the end of the trail, where it drops into the arroyo and there is running water, Kat said she’d be right there when they returned. This is pretty common when some folks in a group don’t feel physically able to climb. I have done this hike numerous times and have had several older less mobile people opt to stay put before the ascent. The group returned to the spot where the trail starts at the arroyo in 70-90 minutes and she was gone. The group didn’t see nor hear Tootsie or Kat. They returned to the parking area and realizing she didn’t venture back to that location and an immediate search was launched. A professional photographer’s drone was launched to view the falls and canyon down to the ranch while the search group went back on the trail to retrace the area and search the East area past the parking. Horns were sounded, yelling and driving to the Ranch in case she ventured that far. After hours of searching, Warren gave numbers to be called to mobilize and notify search groups. He stayed on site while cars left to get cell service to alert authorities. She was not left. She was not abandoned. She wandered off on her own. All efforts available at the time were used to search for her.
Thank you Dave for the above. I edited it a little for people that have not done that hike. The trail itself, and a couple other trails from the parking to the arroyo are fairly well marked, however, finding them when coming out of the canyon can be difficult.
To continue, Thursday night after the other two vehicles left, I parked the jeep. Around seven pm a group of hikers from Mexicali pulled in. I told them what happened and they said they were going to get some sleep and then start up the arroyo at midnight. I asked why start out in the middle of the night and they said it is easier to hike up to the National Park when it is not hot. They said they would keep an eye and ear out for Kat and Tootsie. Sometime around 10 PM a group (Scopion Goup) of around 6 or 7 vehicles from our community showed up. I asked Nichole to call Dan Martens when they got back to El Dorado Ranch that evening. Dan assembled this group and we discussed what had happened and decided there wasn’t much we could do that late. The group returned to San Felipe and I went back to sleep after the group of hikers took off. I did not hear anything that night when I slept in the Jeep.
Friday, April 12th, 2019. Around 9 am, the Scorpion Group returned. This time there were more than a dozen vehicles and everybody headed out searching the area. There was one individual from the Fire Department that came with this group. The Military was on site searching, including a helicopter. After a day of searching, we all returned to San Felipe. During the day, the wheels started working and groups of rescue personnel were preparing for a Saturday search. When I got home, the phone did not stop ringing. Most of the calls were from two of the rescue groups wanting information about when and where we had been searching. One group said there would be a group of searchers at the Canyon at 4:00 AM Saturday morning.
Saturday, April 13th, 2019. Nichole, Cesar and myself went to the Military Base in San Felipe to brief the Army personnel and the helo pilots. Cesar stayed and went out to the group with the helo. We headed out to the canyon at 8:30 am, again a group of a dozen Scorpio vehicles and s few rescue personnel vehicles. When we reached the canyon, the helicopter was flying above. A State of Baja Rescue group from Tijuana was on site searching. After a day of searching by all these groups (Military, Scorpions, Baja Rescue Group and another Group from Mexicali) we assembled at the corral about a mile from the canyon entrance where the State Rescue Group set up camp with Satellite Internet Service, a radio tower and a base camp where they were going to spend the night.
It is now Sunday, April 14th, 2019 and I am about to head out again. I will post updates when I return.
The number of groups and personnel in this search is overwhelming and I am so impressed and thankful for this help."

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.