BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The "Lost Mission" Mystery Walls (Las Animas) drone flyover. Video added.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

cool.gif posted on 4-15-2019 at 11:48 PM
The "Lost Mission" Mystery Walls (Las Animas) drone flyover. Video added.

'Geoffff' (4WD van traveler) recently returned from another of his super expeditions to Baja and I anxiously await his trip report.

In the meantime, he sent me the photos and videos of his drone flyover of the mesa near Bahía las Animas with the mystery walls and cave. This was the site of a discovery made in 1966 when the Erle Stanley Gardner expedition found these walls, a dam, a lone date palm, and Indian sleeping circles. Desert Magazine's Choral Pepper was on this expedition and climbed to the top of the mesa for a close look at these walls. Her research following that trip would conclude that this was likely the lost Jesuit mission project of Santa María Magdalena, shown as "started" on the Jesuit's 1757 map... south of Bahía de los Angeles and north of Santa Gertrudis (first called 'Dolores del Norte').

Read more about this site: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/mystery_...

EDIT ADDING VIDEO of drone flyovers:

March 2019 drone photos

Thanks Geoffff, these are great!

Here are the 2009 site and Desert Magazine's 1966 photos:

[Edited on 4-17-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 06:16 AM

Awesome shots!
Thanks for sharing.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 08:46 AM

Very interesting.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 09:23 AM

Before Choral Pepper died, she told me she hoped I would find the site. It was one of the places in Baja she tried to return to but did not remember the location other than it was south of L.A. Bay and (she thought) the sea was in view. I called other members of the Gardner party who were still alive in 2000 to ask for help on the location. Bruce Barron (the man Choral photographed at the site in February 1966), J.W. Black (the creator of the off road vehicles used by Gardner to explore Baja in the 60s), and Ricardo Castillo in Mulegé, all were helpful but none at that point in life remembered where the walls were.

In 2001, with several Internet Baja amigos along, I was connected with Jesus Flores thanks to Doc at Camp Gecko, as a guide. At the time, I didn't realize this was the famous 'Lost Mine Jesus' that Erle Stanley Gardner wrote a chapter about in is 1962 book, The Hidden Heart of Baja!! The next year, I got Jesus to autograph his photo in my copy of Gardner's book.

Photo of Jesus signing Gardner's book while sitting on his burro: http://www.vivabaja.com/402/page6.html

In 2001, however, we had Jesus in the 4WD Viva Baja Van to show us to the mystery wall location (Mission Santa María Magdalena?). He guided us to a historic place, but not the walls. He took us to the Tinaja de Santa María, an important water source on the Golfo Camino Real (eastern branch of El Camino Real connecting Santa Gertrudis with San Borja).

Here is a photo of Jesus at the grave of his old friend Dick Daggett, he 'talked' to Daggett: http://www.vivabaja.com/van1/page9.html

I made additional searched south of L.A. Bay retracing the Gardner expedition route and other potential sites, since Choral said they took the Grasshoppers (dune buggies) out on explorations from their camp locations.

I even drove to Bahía las Animas... and did not see the wall up on the mesa that you can see from the road going to the bay. It blends in well and I obviously didn't stare long enough as I was driving! LOL

All these searches are documented on my website and posts on Amigos de Baja and Baja Nomad.

In late 2008, Sharksbaja was using Google Earth and spotted lines on a hill. He asked me if these might be the walls of Choral Pepper's lost mission. My reply was that they look promising, but I would have to go there myself to confirm! My wife was fully supportive and New Years Weekend was a three-day holiday for 2009.

See www.vivabaja.com/109

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 09:43 AM

This area is by far the most facinating to me.
A friend and I flew several east cape trips in the 80-90s.
Everytime we flew over here he would have a new intriguing rumor about the place.
I nearly broke my neck trying to see "something" there.
We were cruising at altitude so it was only a glimpse.
This is also a secret fishing spot Dave!
So again you with the pictures and maps and giving away "secret" spot!;)

[Edited on 4-16-2019 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
This area is by far the most facinating to me.
A friend and I flew several east cape trips in the 80-90s.
Everytime we flew over here he would have a new intriguing rumor about the place.
I nearly broke my neck trying to see "something" there.
We were cruising at altitude so it was only a glimpse.
This is also a secret fishing spot Dave!
So again you with the pictures and maps and giving away "secret" spot!;)

[Edited on 4-16-2019 by fishbuck]

Not a secret if it's on a map, is it? LOL

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 09:57 AM

I still haven't made it there by dirt.
But BOLA fidhing is about to turn on and I am planning to go native there for a while.
Maybe this is a job for the giant white truck.
I will need to lower the 10 plys down a bit to for my new teeth to survive it.
I really need a helicopter! For my teeth. And my spin.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
I still haven't made it there by dirt.
But BOLA fidhing is about to turn on and I am planning to go native there for a while.
Maybe this is a job for the giant white truck.
I will need to lower the 10 plys down a bit to for my new teeth to survive it.
I really need a helicopter! For my teeth. And my spin.

Yes, flying makes you weak... lol

Here are my Las Animas photos from New Years 2017:

There's the wall as seen from the road about 2 miles south of the bayshore.

gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 10:49 AM

Wow. The aerial shots really reveal a lot.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 11:06 AM

The walls on Google Maps

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 11:11 AM

I see I would miss alot of beautiful vista flying...
Better get myself toughened up... again:coolup:

Excellent photos Dave...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 12:52 PM

Geoffff has just made a YouTube video of his drone flyover. I will add it soon. It makes the walls really come to life.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 01:20 PM

it reminds me of the ancient stone structures in Saudi Arabia - possibly used as animal traps

Harald Pietschmann
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 01:21 PM

So is that a 'cave' on the back side? Almost looks like there was an old trail to it coming in from the left.

I recall that side being pretty steep and it seems you can not see it from above or below very well.

Along with the walls and 'sleeping circles' at the top, and the 'dam' and 'foundations' on the valley floor there is also a old hunting blind at the bottom on the west side below the longer of the two rock walls.

Another odd thing is if you head east around the bay and climb the sand dunes to look down the valley towards this hill with the rock walls it appears as if there is a rock pattern built in to the lower face of the hill. It appears as a outline in the shape of a diamond with a dark spot in the center.

It could very well be natural, but it seems as if it fits perfectly as a marker or a sign to indicate that here is the spot.

One final thing is back in 2011 or 2012 while walking around the near the top I came across a rock the size of basketball that looked like someone had scratched a + or a cross into it about 5" or 6" tall. I lost the pictures I had of it when a hard drive failed on my computer.

That hill seems to have some interesting history to it.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Here are my Las Animas photos from New Years 2017:

Hey David, how did you get this shot? I've tried to sneak up on vultures for a photo 100 times and they seem to be a shy lot; not comfortable with people around (kinda like me).

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 02:14 PM

My guess is that Dave got the photo from the drivers seat of his Tacoma. A guy behind the steering wheel of a vehicle is not near as menacing to critters s someone on two legs, with something in their hands!

I have "snuck up" on deer with a bulldozer clearing brush before that I never would have seen if I was on foot carrying tools (or a rifle). They are also curious by nature when the normal alarms are not going off.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 03:49 PM

I've been out to see the rock "walls" several times now. Because of the slope on either side, these stacked rocks always gave me the impression of something to used divert/contain livestock than the remnants of something more structurally significant. The dead palm tree at the bottom of the slope that David K mentions in an earlier report was also intriguing - so atypical and out of place for that region. Who planted it, and why? Never came across the "sleeping circles" that Choral pepper references, either on foot or with Google Earth. I was searching for these on the flat mesa like clearing south west of the walls on the same outcrop. But perhaps, I've bee looking in the wrong places.

But the cave on the south side of the outcrop is something new to me. I don't recall anyone on this board posting about it, and these drone shots are the first time I've seen it.

I would be interested to know if Geoff took the time explore the area around the cave on foot. If so, what were his impressions on the area - coincidental geology? Potentially habitable? It looks to be quite large, but the boulders hanging off it's roof perhaps make an entrance into the cave appear precarious.

Looking forward to what Geoff has to say...
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 05:06 PM

Here I crudely marked several locations. The 'sleeping circles' are at the highest point of this hill.

Baja--Valle-las-Animas--Mystery-Wall.jpg - 225kB
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 06:18 PM

Congratulations David and Geoff on locating this site that David has talked about for so long.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2019 at 06:54 PM

OK, here's the video, under 2 minutes long (also added to the top of this thread):

Thanks Ken... Elizabeth and I found the site in January 2009.

The sleeping circles are between the top end of the wall and the high point of the hill, which is just above the cave.

I gave the link to my 109 web page, where all these photos are at.

The photo of the vultures was indeed taken from my driver's seat as I drove under them.

Viva Baja!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.