Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Poking around Baja (2019) - Beaches & Canyons
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-22-2019 at 10:32 AM

Is it possible to mount two spares on your rig? I never leave without an extra. It's easy for me in a large truck.

[Edited on 6-22-2019 by Marc]
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 7-13-2019 at 10:28 AM

I'm glad to see Geoff's post elevated. I'm kicking back with two screens, one with Google Earth, the other with this report plotting his GPS points.

I really need to deal with this itch.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2019 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
At this point, I decided my van had accumulated too many insults. I had a substandard spare tire, a noisy loose rear brake pad, a detached muffler, a cracked windshield, and now a leaky radiator. I purchased some packets of stop-leak powder back in Bahía de los Angeles. (At 20 pesos each, I splurged and bought two.) I realized it was time to call it quits, and limp my van 1700 miles back home to Seattle.

Impressive amount of photos and effort into this report. Very nice.

I have questions, respectfully, about your above statement. Did your van accumulate the problems before or during your time in Baja? When did you realize you had a substandard spare tire and a loose rear brake pad?

All these problems read like you were ''winging'' it.

Limping 1,700 miles home had me really scratching my head. Really?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2019 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I have questions, respectfully, about your above statement. Did your van accumulate the problems before or during your time in Baja? When did you realize you had a substandard spare tire and a loose rear brake pad?

Hi Lee, I appreciate direct questions! I have a feeling we have a different tolerance for physical safety risk, or at least the potential discomfort of getting stranded somewhere.

All these issues happened during my trip, while south of the border.

My substandard spare - this is the only tire I could find for sale in middle-Baja with an inner diameter that would fit on my rims. It was a new tire, just undersized - and probably not rated for the weight of my van at highway speeds. I didn't want to end my trip early (midway through the time I had). I very rarely damage my tires enough to need to use my spare. I usually can patch leaks in-place. But I wanted to have at least something I could roll out of the backcountry with.

The brake pad - my van always has lots of shakes and rattles underneath, and at some point in my trip I noticed a new sound. It was coming from one of my rear brakes, and stopped when I applied the brakes. My braking ability didn't seem to be diminished.

The radiator leak - When this happened I knew it would be the end of my trip. I figured I would try to get as far north as I could, just topping it off as it leaked. I didn't really want to stop somewhere in Mexico to wait for a new radiator to be shipped in and replaced.

Perhaps "limping" home was a bit of a strong word on my part. Highway driving is pretty easy on the van, and mechanics are never all that far away. I wanted to get these extensive repairs done at home by my own mechanic if I could.

-- Geoff

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2019 at 03:39 PM

Geoff, I felt the same way a couple of decades ago when I had a Ford 4wd van. They are not a factory 4wd van even though Ford parts are used for that front axle.

The one time I was run off the road by a tractor trailer very early in the morning south of Constitution my heart was beating in my chest. I somehow managed to slow down with the passenger side wheels off the road, that is, until I hit a concrete culvert. Boom! Thud! and I came to a dead stop in a cloud of dust.

Eventually someone lets the cops know and they came and towed my van back to town where it sat for way too many days. I did not have your fine Bag Bound Insurance since that was long before you showed up.

Since I was heading to the East Cape they shipped the van there to fix it. That never happened. No one there knew how to repair it.

Weeks later, after I flew back to SD, they shipped it up to the border where I could tow it and get it back on the road. I understand well the impulse to try to limp home across the border if at all possible.

With my current Sprinter van, I would feel the same. I have used your company for a couple of separate winter Whale magic trips and will again next winter, though next time I will get a full years coverage instead of 8 or 10 days worth.

I appreciate your supporting this site and hope to see you on the road sometime. Love the photos. Keep them coming. Peace, love and fish tacos.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2019 at 03:41 PM

Baja Bound of course, not Bag Bound. Duh.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2019 at 03:47 PM

As for carrrying two spares. I always have, as previously mentioned here. My first spare mounts under the rear of the van, like all Sprinters. My second spare now mounts to the driver side rear door. It used to ride on my roof rack. A little extra tire insurance is always a good thing when one is out in the boonies.

I can't wait to go back. Your efforts are appreciated.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2019 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geoffff  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Hi Lee, I appreciate direct questions! I have a feeling we have a different tolerance for physical safety risk, or at least the potential discomfort of getting stranded somewhere.

All these issues happened during my trip, while south of the border.

-- Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Definitely a different tolerance level for having adventures in Baja. Glad things worked out in your travels. You covered a lot of ground in remote areas. Again , great report.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 10:07 PM

Great photos and trip report!

Oh man, it looks like we were just a week or so ahead of you on our trip in Feb 2019. We stayed at both Shell Beach and the Morro Lighthouse (I think from gleaning info from a previous trip on your blog). My pics from that trip are here: http://picti.net/PIVOJ (ignore the stupid email request feature and insert a bogus address like 1234@gmail).

One last thing; the next time you find yourself in Black Rock Desert, work your way to the hot springs pond at Soldiers Meadow and then on W through High Rock Canyon. We just ran through it a couple of weeks ago and it was a nice way to finish up after hanging out on the playa.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by matthew_mangus  
My pics from that trip are here: http://picti.net/PIVOJ

Wow, thanks for sharing! It's fun to see those places again through your eyes. I love the photos where you captured that warm contrasty late afternoon lighting. And I figured out where your "tidal point" is :)

And, yes - I have explored High Rock Canyon. I need to get back there someday... http://octopup.org/sw2006/blackrock#High_Rock_Canyon

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2019 at 08:08 AM

Just catching up on missed messages.
Another great thread that I missed when traveling north from San Felipe. Thanks Geoff Very impressive trip report.
GregN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2019 at 11:17 AM

Great trip, great photos. Some memories, yet plenty of interesting and new-to-me stuff.

ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2019 at 11:59 AM

What a great thread. Many memories and many great places I need to go see!
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2019 at 06:00 AM

Wow, lot's of awesome pics and a great writeup! Thanks for sharing!
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2019 at 01:59 PM

I think a second spare is a good idea. It can be a skinny one of the same diameter up on the roof.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2020 at 04:59 PM

Thanks, David. Agreed. Hoping to go see this one soon. I will post a report.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2021 at 09:07 AM

Scott... Did you get over to Pintada yet?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2021 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Scott... Did you get over to Pintada yet?

I didn't join them but some friends were just there. He said the canyon was hot and had a lot of mosquitoes. The beach at Santo Domingo was his favorite and an amazing spot.

[Edited on 4-10-2021 by HeyMulegeScott]

shmalbatross

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 11:24 AM

Amazing trip, amazing writeup. Keep it up!
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 03:46 AM

Fabulous post! Thanks for the tours.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.