Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Poking around Baja (2019) - Beaches & Canyons
Tacohome

[*] posted on 10-30-2021 at 05:18 PM
Pharside ranch conception bay peninsula

Hi there saw your post on going up the peninsula of conception bay did you by any chance drive by an old dilapidated gate with a whalebone at the top that said far side branch I spent a bunch of time there in the mid 90s with an old gringo named Dave he passed away many years ago but was wondering if the ranch was still in any sort of shape. I am headed down the Baja this winter for the first time in many years I was thinking about heading out there just for nostalgic reasons there are some beautiful springs great spearfishing out on the peninsulas Eastern side
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2021 at 08:25 AM

(FYI everyone -- we chatted on U2U, and -- no -- I didn't come across this.)

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
bball123

[*] posted on 11-6-2021 at 12:20 PM

Great trip and super photos. I am planning a trip not quite like yours but in somewhat the same areas. My van is only a 2 wheel drive.

I plan to go through Mexicali and onward on highway 5 past CoCo's corner. Then to Bay of LA, LaGringa. and Campo Coronado for a few days of kayaking. I've never been past BOLA on the rocky road to El Arco and places in between and want to try it this time. I started a couple of times but always turned back. Is it possible to take this road with a 2 wheel drive van and also go to San Francisquito, San Rafael, and other beaches along the way to El Arco?

I always stop at Bahia de los Muertos by Punta Chivato. The last few times we have been the only people on the beach.

My wife and I came upon Punta Chivato (1970's) when it was nearly uninhabited and the old hotel had been abandoned and was sort of in ruins. Next time through we met Bill Averado (sp) and his wife who had fixed the hotel up and were running the beach camp ground. Later it became a luxury resort and all the new homes were built. Several new owners of the hotel kind of ruined the place for us nomads. On my last trip to Baja three years ago we didn't see a soul around the place. I'd sure like to know what is going on there and all the history of the place.

Please let me know what you think about driving the area between BOLA and El Arco with a two wheel drive van.

Thank you, Dennis from Long Beach, Washington
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2021 at 12:52 PM

Hi Dennis!

You can totally do the rocky road from BOLA through to El Arco, etc. in 2WD

4WD is only needed if you want to camp right on the sandy beach. If you stay out of the soft sand, you should be fine.

Thanks for those history notes for Punta Chivato and the hotel! At least the north shore of Punta Chivato is still uninhabited -- Ensenada El Muerto etc. Beautiful area!

-- Geoff

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2021 at 01:19 PM

I agree, in both quantity and quality of the true sense of adventure!

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
best post in the history of the forum!
Thank you!

Clear information
real pictures
GPS!

[Edited on 11-6-2021 by edm1]
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-15-2022 at 11:02 AM

Bump up of a great trip report... This is where Nomad shines as the source for Baja travel planning and Internet enjoyment.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.