Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali East or West
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-19-2019 at 02:26 PM
Mexicali East or West

What's the difference? I have never crossed at Mexicali going south and going north only twice many years ago. Seems the west is more convenient for me from Palm Springs but all I see is info on the east particularly going north.
I assume Mex 5 goes into Cal 111.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-19-2019 at 06:48 PM

Going south west is a breeze. Easy parking on the left going in on either side of the border for FMM. We used to always go to east going north but last time I crossed Mexicali going north I went to the west crossing and it was better. YMMV due to the border debacle but to get to the west crossing just drive along the border and you will run into it.

From 5 you need to work your way east to get to the east crossing and it is better to enter from the east, drive past it and turn around and head west to enter. There seems to always be a line coming from the west but not one coming from the east. And when you make the right turn to enter, don’t be affraid of being in the right lane that is always empty. It all goes to the same place.

The two crossing are only a couple miles apart and like I say, if you are at the east gate and you don’t like the look of the line, just drive west along the border fence and you will run right into the line for west.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-20-2019 at 01:56 PM

Thanks, guess I'll stay with the west going both ways.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 07:06 AM

Depends on your privileges?
Standard, Sentri, or Ready are the choices. Going south only one type = standard. Going north East is way best if you value your time to wait compared to west.
At teh east Ready always slower than Sentri and Sentri is no wait.
Other places I use. Algodones fast
San Luis slower than Algodones.
Northbound - If you have a trailer you can only use east or San Luis and standard is required even it you have ready or Sentri status. Tecati will work with trailer most times.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 07:52 AM

South use West. North go East. Crossed back over 2 weeks ago and it took <30 mins.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 03:23 PM

What JZ said. Northbound at east gate three weeks ago was 12 mins from stopping in line to going out the other side using the regular line mid-morning. Can't beat that. West gate has better parking for the FMM and no x-ray for southbound traffic.

Mex 5 does meet up with Ca 111 at the west gate but you travel through Calexico before it turns into a freeway. East gate dumps you onto Ca 7 and you can head north to I-8 then west a couple miles to the Ca 111 exit.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.