Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: hwy 1 closure this tuesday
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 10:43 AM
hwy 1 closure this tuesday

ENSENADA.- The Ministry of Communications and Transport (SCT) informs that next Tuesday, April 23, from 2 to 5 in the afternoon, the traffic from kilometer 58 to 60 + 700 of the Maneadero-San Vicente road section will be closed.
This section is located to the south of this municipality, in the area known as El Zacatón slope, where cuts and hauling of material will be carried out to expedite the expansion and modernization of that stretch of road.

Due to the complexity of the work to be done and the safety of the users, the measure was taken to close the circulation for a period of three hours.

Currently, the SCT is carrying out modernization works on the Maneadero-San Vicente highway in the area known as El Zacatón, an area with curves and gorges.

We work in coordination with the Federal Police, who will support the site, as well as providing information on the causes that will cause this closure in the road section of reference.

A call is made to all users of this road to take this information into account and schedule their trip that day that will restrict the passage and thus avoid setbacks and inconvenience.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 11:48 AM

I have never explored in that area, but no where in Baja is there a place where you cannot find an alternate route.
Maybe a bit rough (o.k. maybe real rough) but still there are ways.
There must be dirt roads up the valley and then on up the hill on the east side of the existing highway, or possibly over the hills on the west.
Just curious, since I will be nowhere close at the closing time it won't affect me, but wondering about alternatives.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
I have never explored in that area, but no where in Baja is there a place where you cannot find an alternate route.
Maybe a bit rough (o.k. maybe real rough) but still there are ways.
There must be dirt roads up the valley and then on up the hill on the east side of the existing highway, or possibly over the hills on the west.
Just curious, since I will be nowhere close at the closing time it won't affect me, but wondering about alternatives.

No practical bypass without gates and high-clearance vehicle. Faster to wait 3 hours.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 12:38 PM

Three hours? That sounds like an ambitious target if there is any meaningful amount of material to move.

It is great to have some prior notice of the closure, because if I was headed down that route, I would plan on well before the closure or come up with a plan B !

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 04:58 PM

Mt 666 strikes again stupid tourest. At Santa Tomas beach side dirt road any car can make. Then short cut back to hwy 1. It is a good thing nobody listens to this marooon tourest. Ohh is no 3 hours longer.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 05:15 PM
There's always a way around in Baja

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Mt 666 strikes again stupid tourest. At Santa Tomas beach side dirt road any car can make. Then short cut back to hwy 1. It is a good thing nobody listens to this marooon tourest. Ohh is no 3 hours longer.

My brain put this guy and his cousin JJJ on "ignore" a long time back.
Much easier to navigate without trying to sail around these two snags in the lake.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 07:19 PM

The main thing is any nomad be alerted to these slime balls
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 07:55 PM

Yesterday he tried to tells us all kinds of untruthful nonsense about Inreach devices. Guy just sits in his house and hasn't been to Baja in years.

Btw, we went through that area this week (I think it's the same area), and it was a 30-40 min delay. They would work for a while, let one side of traffic go through, let the other side go through, then start work again. Seemed very inefficient.

[Edited on 4-22-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 08:08 PM

JZ, it is Hwy. 1, between Santo Tomás and San Vicente on the grade out of the Santo Tomás valley, southbound. It is the widening of the highway to include wide shoulders and fewer curves, as it is between Maneadero and there.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 09:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
JZ, it is Hwy. 1, between Santo Tomás and San Vicente on the grade out of the Santo Tomás valley, southbound. It is the widening of the highway to include wide shoulders and fewer curves, as it is between Maneadero and there.

Yeah, we went through there last Friday. About an hr or so below Ensenada.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2019 at 10:22 PM

The point is I was there in line I walked up to flagman asked about wait. He said bad wreck 4 hour wait. So I was there 20 min I made U turn 5 min Santa Tomas . You can take dirt road on beach side pops you out just before San Vicente. Or if you know the secret way you pass small settlement called Las Curses . Left turn pops you out on Hwy 1 before that big new wine resort there building on Rt side. I repeat nobody listen to this MT666 blow hard tourist marooon. That knows nothing about baja also has info that will get newbies in trouble.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2019 at 06:26 AM

Larry (BajaTrailRider) lives in the area and rides all the area roads, so he is the authority. Here is a map to help visualize the region. The construction bypass to the west is right there:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2019 at 06:46 AM

if you had spellcheck your criticisms would be more impactful.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2019 at 07:05 AM

I dont worry about spell ck as my Mex cl phone . Tries to pre spell my words . What ever it decides so since this is not school I don't care. I think you understand 💯 per cent. Thank you.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2019 at 07:08 AM

There is not one here. That does not know about these marooons. I just like to let them know there posts are useless
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2019 at 10:31 AM
Not to worry about spelling

I dont worry about spell ck as my Mex cl phone . Tries to pre spell my words . What ever it decides so since this is not school I don't care. I think you understand 💯 per cent. Thank you.

Good and accurate info trumps spelling any day
Thanks for affirming my earlier thoughts
And, on reflection, many years ago we had a race out of Santo Tomas that looped up and around the hill behind town, out to the beach and back
I remember then that there were many passable roads out in that area.
Not to say that Aunt Irma in her motorhome should be saving three hours by trucking out there,
but as always, there are ways around in Baja

p.s. Larry, I understand that you live in San Vicente,
drop by Rancho Santa Marta and tell them hi from the Oakdale guy
They will know who you mean....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2019 at 11:08 AM

The Baja 300 (a race put on by BRA, the Baja Racing Association) had its start and finish in Santo Tomás at the El Palomar campground. I was there in 1975, following Class 5 racing amigo, Mark Hansen.
Ivan Stewart won the race, in his pre-Toyota days: http://www.vivabaja.com/album/page3.html

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2019 at 01:14 PM
Great memories

The Baja 300 (a race put on by BRA, the Baja Racing Association) had its start and finish in Santo Tomás at the El Palomar campground. I was there in 1975, following Class 5 racing amigo, Mark Hansen.
Ivan Stewart won the race, in his pre-Toyota days: http://www.vivabaja.com/album/page3.html

I seem to remember three loop/laps in that race
I also remember coming straight down the hill behind Palomar
And who could forget pitting in the lower campground.
We had lots of problems, but finished
We actually came upon a crashed bike during the race and put the guy in the back of the truck and hauled him back to get medical attention
And yes, there are plenty of ways around the detour, now that my memory has been jostled
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2019 at 04:52 PM

Dick, did you know about the racer who broke down somewhere and got a horse from a rancher to ride back into Santo Tomás, with his firesuit and helmet on!?? LOL

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2019 at 06:53 PM
Too many stories, too short in the memory bank

Dick, did you know about the racer who broke down somewhere and got a horse from a rancher to ride back into Santo Tomás, with his firesuit and helmet on!?? LOL

David, I remember lots of great stories, not that one.
Actually the guy we hauled back to the pits was busted up pretty good, but he insisted that he was o.k. to ride in the back of our race truck
We were so out of it by them that we took it easy and got him back in one piece.
The more I remember about that race the more I realize how many fairly easy (Maybe pretty dirty) ways there are around the highway detour.
Too bad a few of the "Keyboard Kowboys" on Nomad have never traveled those roads and have no clue....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.