Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Global Entry card not accepted by itself, need other valid ID
dvaz

[*] posted on 4-28-2019 at 11:06 PM
Global Entry card not accepted by itself, need other valid ID

Anyone had this happen to them?

My friend mom has a Global Entry card, used it a few times in the past in the Sentri Pedestrian lanes without any issues, but today she was held inside the office until we brought her Resident Alien card. The Global Entry by itself was not accepted. CPB Officer told her she needed her Res Alien card.

My friend had to drop what we were doing and drive back to their house and grab the card to bring it to her. Officer took a quick look and let her go. She is an older lady that doesn't speak English so she was scared to ask for a supervisor or challenge that decision.

According to the CBP site, the Global Entry / Sentri card is a valid document to cross the border by land... unless it changed recently? Or maybe the officer was just been a dick? She didn't want to carry both ID's in fear of losing them. It doesn't make sense.

We had to cancel what we were doing and drove back all the way from North County. :fire:

I have a Global Entry myself, albeit i am USC.
I would had asked to speak to a supervisor if they asked me for a passport as well.

[Edited on 4-29-2019 by dvaz]

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2019 at 05:12 AM

My wife presented her GE card as we processed to leave the US and the agent noted that her middle name was misspelled on her card as compared to the information that showed on her screen. My wife confirmed that upon looking at the card.
The agent asked her for any other ID and my wife took out her passport. The agent (and other agents around us) laughed and said we were good to go...somewhere in the processing of the card, someone misspelled my wife's middle name.
We haven't corrected the card yet but we always carry two or more forms of ID (plus scanned/printed copies) with us when we travel.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-29-2019 at 07:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
My wife presented her GE card as we processed to leave the US and the agent noted that her middle name was misspelled on her card as compared to the information that showed on her screen. My wife confirmed that upon looking at the card.
The agent asked her for any other ID and my wife took out her passport. The agent (and other agents around us) laughed and said we were good to go...somewhere in the processing of the card, someone misspelled my wife's middle name.
We haven't corrected the card yet but we always carry two or more forms of ID (plus scanned/printed copies) with us when we travel.

The “system” will not give you TSA pre-check if name on ticket does not match name on trusted traveler ID. Fix the typo on your GE, your quality of life will improve.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2019 at 08:10 AM

My wife is a Canadian citizen and has permanent resident status in the U.S. When crossing north she is always asked for her residency card after presenting our sentri/GE ID's.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2019 at 09:51 AM

Global Entry is associated with your Passport or Resident Card, some foreign countries are approved to allow their citizens to use Global Entry as well with their foreign passport, such as Mexico and India.

Global Entry is accepted at a land or sea crossing, but at a Global Entry Kiosk you must use a passport that is associated to your Global Entry not the Global Entry card. At any POE crossing you are subject to proof of residency or citizenship and TSA travel status and may be selected for further screening.

The officer has a right to ask her for her Proof of Residency, they stop many citizens with passports and bring them to secondary for additional screening, they may have been mistaken or confused with so many systems or perhaps there is an issue with her status or address? I bet if you didn't agree to come she would have been allowed to pass anyway.

When you arrive at a USA POE there are multiple lines usually, if she went to the Global Entry Kiosk that would trigger the scenario you mention requiring proof of residency. If she went to the regular line it would not, by default but could happen anyway.

[Edited on 4-29-2019 by gnukid]
dvaz

[*] posted on 4-29-2019 at 11:39 AM

Thanks for the people that replied, it seems that to be safe, she will carry both from now on.

dvaz

[*] posted on 4-29-2019 at 11:46 AM

As to JoeJustJoe question:

What does me tagging along or not has ANYTHING to do what I asked?

I'll humor you. Ill call my friend Joe.

Joe and I working on Joe's car at my place, North County.

Joe's car motor is hanging on the cherry picker.

Joe's mom calls. Joe doesn't have a working car (you need the motor back in the car for it to run, just in case you are wondering why he didn't take his car).

Joe and I wash the grease off our faces / hands and haul ass in my car to pick her card and deliver it.

Joe and I rush back and try finish where we left off so he has a working car for work Monday.

I posted up there she was a Resident Alien. Didn't know you could speak English by just been old.

Capeesh? O quieres que te lo traduzca a Español?

[Edited on 5-3-2019 by BajaNomad]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2019 at 12:49 PM

Always carry other ID, period. These "trusted traveler cards" on itself can't be relied on.

My Canadian Nexus card (Sentri equivalent for Canadians) works fine to by-pass the regular pedestrian, car or airport lanes. But when I approach a US agent, he always asks for passport. Nexus card alone isn't good - some agents don't know what this is, even though it's a joint US/CAN operation, endorsed by US CBP and Canada, I had an interview with both US and Canadian agents when was issued this card.

Same on airports - precheck, fast lane, all good, and in the end always had to show passport to the US agent (on US-bound flight).
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2019 at 05:51 PM

If you have a DUI you have to wait 10 years to get a Sentri.

I know this from first hand experience.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2019 at 08:58 AM

They should always check both for non US citizens because the visa may expire before the sentri card. That is per the powers that be behind whole program.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.