Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I can laugh now...Part 3
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-17-2005 at 10:56 PM
I can laugh now...Part 3

With wife and guests relaxing in San Nicolas, I jammed the little Nissan pickup back into Loreto. The work was complete, but the new $65. fan still wouldn?t clear the Isuzu shroud. ?This car has been in a wreck?, says Juan. This time he was right. I bought the little project car on a salvage title, but I?d never seen any evidence of problems that were not associated with it?s having been side-swiped. Faster than a triggerfish can steal your bait, he had a hydraulic body jack stuffed under the hood, and with no little temerity I pumped about a ton of pressure against the front body work, and at least equalized the inadequate distance in front of the fan. A half dozen zip ties stretching the rubber mounts forward allowed the blades to clear the radiator, and I went for a test drive. By golly, it looked like I might make it home after all. Telling Juan that I?d see him in a couple of days when I brought our guests back to the airport, I set off with some trepidation for San Nicolas. No noise, no overheating, no nuthin?. We spent the next couple of days putting around on a run down the beach to Punta San Antonio, and up the arroyo to the undocumented pictographs a friend had turned us on to a few years back.

On the day before our friend?s flight was to leave, we packed up and headed for Loreto. All was well, and everyone was happy. I was still on the edge of my seat. I didn?t want all four of us to be standing on the side of Highway 1.

I smelled the burning fan belt even before it began to squeal. CRAP! We coasted off the road just before Puente la Luna and I popped the hood. The ?new? bracket, which I knew was steel, not cast like the old one, was cracked and open about 3/32 of an inch. The belt had lost tension, and any revving over about 3000 RPM made it squeal. Driving on held the possibility that the whole tensioner would fail and take out the radiator again, but as I always say, ?you can?t call it an adventure if there?s no uncertainty?. I limped into Loreto, reported the failure to Juan, and we set out, at a crawl, to find a QUIET place to spend the night.

It seemed like the little B & B on the beach north of town would be off the beaten track. Las Trojes, in the dark, was picturesque, romantic, and incredibly termite infested. The constant flow of un-muffled, boom box equipped Friday night kids cars cruising down the alley to the beach next to our room started about bed time and went on until about 3:00 am. From about 3:00 until 5:30, sexual athletes in the next room screamed thoughtlessly. In the morning, ?sorry there is no breakfast? The price was still $55. a room. Live and learn.

We sent our friends off to the airport in a taxi, and headed out to Juan?s for the latest explanation. When I pulled off the remains of the ?new? tensioner from Viscaino, it had clearly been constructed from my old unit, and parts of some other tensioner. Juan fabricated a reinforcing plate to strengthen the part that had broken. We put it back together and the bearing, overheated by all the arc welding, failed before we got to Caf? Ole for breakfast. Back to the junk yard. ?No problem I have more bearings, and this time I?ll put it under water while I weld?. We walked to breakfast. While finishing our coffee, our friend Jim from San Nicolas came by to check on us. He drove us out to Juan?s where the car was all bolted back together. I fired it up and the bearing failed before I could close the hood.

I went to the internet caf?, found a Suzuki dealership in National City, CA, got the part number, and Juan said he had someone who could get it and have it on a bus in Tijuana right away.
Cathy and I hitched a ride back to San Nicolas with Jaime. Two days later, I hitched back into town. Juan?s wife had driven to LA for other parts and had put my assembly on a bus. I met all the busses for two days. The truth was that Juan?s wife was actually bringing back the part in her car. At eight the second night, I walked back over to the junk yard. ?Mala noticias? said Juan.
The tensioner was for the serpentine belt, not the fan belt. The next afternoon I ran into my wife. She had hitched into town with her bags packed. If there was a plane in the morning, she was going to be on it. She was done. (To be continued)

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 01:10 AM
Wow...

...Just another day in paradise!

I think if it had been me, about now, I'd be checking a nearby arroyo for a place to hold a 'Viking Funeral'....:fire:

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 01:33 AM
WHAT A BUMMER!

..............can u say HEMI??????
You might want to consider a car for which parts ARE available in Mexico. Particularly if one owns a previously smashed Japanese car.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 07:28 AM

WOW, and i thought that my tranny problem in el rasario was a problem. my buddy just bought a tracker for mex, hope he has better luck.:coolup:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 08:28 AM

git a Ford the older the better. the mechanics here can fix them fast. and there are lots of parts.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Jim Perez

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 09:29 AM
Now you are starting to make me worry,

I am planning on going down in a couple of weeks in my 1989 Toyota 4x4 with 321,000 miles. Just as far as Santo Tomas so I guess it should make it that far. Recently I havent heard any new weird noises so I will just go for it.

Jim
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 10:13 AM
No worry with a Toy

They have lots of Toy's in Baja parts are easy to find. Heck you might even get some off the one we had stollen in 03.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 11:56 AM
Santo Tomas

Yeah, there are mechanics all over down there, including a new guy who's set up shop just north of the top of the hill that drops down into the Santo Tomas Valley. If you're going out to the coast during Semana Santa and have a breakdown, just make sure to pull all the way into right, out of traffic. There'll be a lot of it :biggrin:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

wow.gif posted on 3-18-2005 at 02:34 PM
you have more patience than me my friend

sure am glad i fly down (and yes, planes also break down in baja - i have left them there 3 times and had to go back to get, once after a month)

And i never take my mulege based nissan, 230,000 and on 2nd reman eng and 2nd new tranny further than bahia concepcion or to santa rosalia, mainly it just runs in to town for booze and stuff.

good thing i know several local mechanics cause i know i'll need them sooner than later.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.