Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying a boat - how to store in in Baja and avoid CA taxes
BajaWaverunner
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2019 at 10:50 AM
Buying a boat - how to store in in Baja and avoid CA taxes

In the coming months I will be buying a 28-32 ft Center Console for use primarily around the Puertecitos/Gonzaga area. I will likely buy a 2012-2014 model from either a dealer or a private party in the Florida area. I have some questions for the Baja boating experts here on the board. 1) What is the best way to buy, register, and import the boat to avoid paying CA sales and annual property taxes. 2) Are there any safe boat storage locations between S.F. and Gonzaga (preferably covered). 3) Can the ramp at Papa F's handle a 10,000 pound boat. Thanks -BWR
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2019 at 11:57 AM

I left my boat in Baja. The spot was good but I guess I left it there too long and somebody wanted it...
Anyway, the boat is gone but CA is still trying to get tax money out of me...

"All my ex-es (taxes) live in Texas (Cali) and that's why I live in Tennessee (Baja)!"

So try and do a better job of it than I did and let us know what works.
Good idea.

[Edited on 5-2-2019 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-2-2019 at 12:24 PM

Don't register it in California.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2019 at 12:25 PM

Check those S.Dakota RVer sites...
Those gypsies know how it's done!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2019 at 01:21 PM

We had our 30' sailboat legally imported to Baja and left it in Marina de la Paz for over 20 years. We sent a letter to CA DMV indicating the boat was moved and enclosed our first month's slip receipt. Never paid taxes nor registration after that. Marina requires importation permit.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2019 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaWaverunner  
In the coming months I will be buying a 28-32 ft Center Console for use primarily around the Puertecitos/Gonzaga area. I will likely buy a 2012-2014 model from either a dealer or a private party in the Florida area. I have some questions for the Baja boating experts here on the board. 1) What is the best way to buy, register, and import the boat to avoid paying CA sales and annual property taxes. 2) Are there any safe boat storage locations between S.F. and Gonzaga (preferably covered). 3) Can the ramp at Papa F's handle a 10,000 pound boat. Thanks -BWR

1. IF you still want it registered in the U.S., then I would register it in another state. South Dakota is an easy state and you can get a PO Box through a company such as America's Mailbox in order to do so. Then get your temporary importation permit (TIP) which is good for 10 years and take it to Baja.

2. San Felipe has some safe storage yards, but not sure of any further south toward Puerticitos or Gonzaga....

3. Yes. Large boats have been launched there.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2019 at 08:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
We had our 30' sailboat legally imported to Baja and left it in Marina de la Paz for over 20 years. We sent a letter to CA DMV indicating the boat was moved and enclosed our first month's slip receipt. Never paid taxes nor registration after that. Marina requires importation permit.
My TIP will be expiring (10 years is almost up) did you have to remove the boat from Mexico before reapplying or can the TIP just be renewed?

In Memory of E-57
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2019 at 06:44 AM

Our boat stayed in La Paz for 19 years. We renewed our TIP as the 10 years were ending. Went to the office next to the laundry in Marina de la Paz (business that handles boating issues, etc.) and they went out to the office by the ferry terminal and obtained our new TIP. When I tried it they said we had to leave and return getting a new TIP. In a further discussion it seemed it would be easier to just obtain a TIP as a new arrival and not mention the previous TIP. But, letting the ladies in the marina do it was quick and certain.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2019 at 08:17 AM

Great. Thanks

In Memory of E-57

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.