Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Chevron gas stations in Mexico, a CC question
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2019 at 08:06 PM
Chevron gas stations in Mexico, a CC question

Anyone try to use their Chevron gas card at a Chevron Station in Mexico? There are a few Chevronds in Ensenada..
I was going to try my card out but forgot
Alan
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-6-2019 at 08:29 PM

What is benefit of a chevron cc? You get back some cents per gallon, but pay 30 to 50 cents more per gallon. I can’t figure out the math.

My cc pays 2% cash back and the price at golden state or Costco is 30 to 50 cents less than chevron.

I never use a cc for gas in Mexico, don’t trust any gas station!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2019 at 09:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
What is benefit of a chevron cc? You get back some cents per gallon, but pay 30 to 50 cents more per gallon. I can’t figure out the math.

My cc pays 2% cash back and the price at golden state or Costco is 30 to 50 cents less than chevron.

I never use a cc for gas in Mexico, don’t trust any gas station!

The question was using a credit card in Mexico. Is there a cash vs credit price in Mexico?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 02:11 AM

If the fuel is the same formula. Chevron fuel is best. My F-350 was running poorly.
Someone suggested a tank full of Chevron premium.
I was amazed it actually worked. I use the regular now.
I use to run that cheap Arco cr*p.
But the Ford needs new spark plugs and then Arco is probably fine. But it doesn't burn as well or as cleanly ad Chevron.
I'm sorry I have no clue on the cc question.
I was surprised to see so many BP stations now.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 04:58 AM

Chevron stations in Mexico usually take credit cards. If your CC is valid it will work, though some CC charge intl transaction fees and may not offer best rate. Check the policy of the card for intl transactions. It appears there is a 3% intl fee for the personal card, could be more fees.
https://apply.syf.com/cs/groups/public/documents/et_tcdoc/e0...

I would choose cards that offer best intl rates and no intl fees. You will save 3-5%.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 06:23 AM

I have been untrusting of using CC in Mexico in the past, but now that it is a wireless electronic device that they use right next to your window, I think the risk is much less.

As our household lives off of continuous, large withdrawals from ATMs, it would be nice to begin using a CC for what is a very significant drain on ATMs pesos; the gas pump. Through a combination of fuel price increases and the fluctuating value of the dollar, filling up our vehicles costs over twice as much as it did eleven years ago when we moved to Mexico.

There is no doubt that Chevron and Shell are the most expensive fuels in most areas, but I have never seen a 30-50 cent differential between Costco and them. Is it really that much?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 07:30 AM

Don't sweat the small stuff. A 30 cent price difference, for 15 gallons is only $4.50. If I buy oranges at 25 cents/lb, instead of the apples at $1.20/lb, and don't buy the ice cream at all, which I shouldn't buy anyway, I've saved $4.50. Pay with cash, with the best exchange rate you can find; fees on top of fees don't make sense when you're pinching pennies.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 08:58 AM

Does anyone know why there are more than only Pemex now?
It was Pemex only until then.
What happened to change it?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 09:43 AM

Deregulation happened... resulting in higher prices...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 09:47 AM

We use our Costco Credit card at most stations. We can save our pesos, get cash back, and there is no international transaction fee.

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 12:02 PM

yes i get it on the various charges, etc etc
all I was asking is if my US Chevron card would work down at a Mexican Chevron
Yes it would be $3-4 per tank different but just wanted to try it
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Perhaps the various companies are colluding to raise prices. Do you think oil companies would do that? In Mexico? :rolleyes:

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Well atleast they got that right.
The higher price is the real price. The other was subsidised.
Think Venezuela.
Free market is the only thing that doesn't end in disaster.
But I empathize will the "locals" and the pain it must cause them.
These people work incredibly hard for their money.
Not as hard as me... but close...:D

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 12:21 PM

But, remember, the "real price" usually includes taxes often imposed by an intolerant government bent on controlling the free movement of a free people... Think California, where the price is artificially over a dollar a gallon more than other states, including those who don't even have petroleum wells.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 12:33 PM

Re your Chevron cc. It's just a credit account linked to a major bank, likely not limited to Chevron gas station purchases specifically. You need to understand your cc agreement. E.g., in the latest "Techron Advantage" cc, you get certain "rewards" for gas purchases, and other "rewards" for purchases outside of gas purchases. My Macy's American Express can be used anywhere it's AmEx is accepted - not just for Macy's store purchases - I like to use it for online purchases of all kinds, like airfare. So if a Baja or Mexico gas station takes Mastercard, Visa or BofA (or whatever bank yours is drawn from), then it will probably take your Chevron cc. Your agreement will also tell you what percentage they add to international purchases, but that can be offset by their currency conversion method (there's more than one) and date calculated. All you can do it try it, and have a Plan B just in case.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
If the fuel is the same formula. Chevron fuel is best. My F-350 was running poorly.
But the Ford needs new spark plugs and then Arco is probably fine. But it doesn't burn as well or as cleanly ad Chevron.

or just carry a bottle of either Techron or RingFree......good stuff!:yes:
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
But, remember, the "real price" usually includes taxes often imposed by an intolerant government bent on controlling the free movement of a free people... Think California, where the price is artificially over a dollar a gallon more than other states, including those who don't even have petroleum wells.

True that.
But you of all people should know what a privilege it is to live in Cali.
Why else would anyone spend the ridiculous amount of money it costs to live there...
Right?

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

or just carry a bottle of either Techron or RingFree......good stuff!:yes:

A bottle of Techtron is a miracle tune-up.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 12:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

True that.
But you of all people should know what a privilege it is to live in Cali.
Why else would anyone spend the ridiculous amount of money it costs to live there...
Right?

Right you are.. but this is my birth state, it is where my family and all four of my grandkids live, and it is where I still operate my irrigation business (when it isn't raining). Plus, my wonderful Baja Angel has a career here and we just bought a home last year. So, we are trapped in a place that was once the best in America for living, schools, etc. to one of the worst.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 01:14 PM

LOL

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.