BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sentri Application - How long is too long?
OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 12:13 PM
Sentri Application - How long is too long?

After 17 of Baja travel, the past several prolonged border waits convinced my family and I to apply for SENTRI. I submitted applications for 5 people and a vehicle in early January, thinking that we would have plenty of time to schedule interviews, receive cards, etc. before we leave for Baja in June.
Four months later, all but one of our applications are still being "reviewed." A recent update on the Trusted Traveler website cites a "...longer than usual" wait time because of the government shutdown, but that was months ago.

My question is what is the usual wait time to advance past the application review process, and then how much time will it take beyond that before you interview and can have a SENTRI card in hand?

Has anyone recently completed the SENTRI process that could give me an idea of how long the unusual time window might actually be?

Thank you in advance...
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 12:39 PM

My kids got theirs in hand in about 3 months.

Took me closer to 5.

They give you a list of places you can go to do the interview. Some are a couple weeks out, some places longer. You can do it immediately at some border locations.

Takes about 10 days to get the cards.

This was for Global Entry with the truck registered for Sentri.

[Edited on 5-11-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 01:21 PM

Email them and explain your situation. Couldn't hurt and might help.

I emailed them to ask a question and they responded in about a week.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 02:46 PM

Have a friend that just went through the process for SENTRI, he applied in August, just got his conditional approval three weeks ago. Was able to schedule an interview for last week and now has his card in hand. This is by far the longest wait I have ever heard of.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 02:47 PM

For my exgirlfriend we went into the office at san ysidro and asked. They said it was a glitch and she was just waiting for an interview and scheduled an interview for her on the spot. Two weeks later interview, two weeks later sentri card. Id go in person if you can. Calling is good too but the system is like the dmv call center. Could be a 30 second wait or hours on hold.
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 06:59 PM

Mine took about 6 months last year. My SO had hers done in less than 2 months
Jinete Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 11:32 PM

I applied last July and got conditional approval (OK to set up interview) in March.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 07:11 AM

This was a couple of years ago but my daughter applied for global entry and had her card in hand in 1 month. With global entry you can use the sentri lane but you have to get your vehicle entered into the sentri program to drive it across the border. But I guess this info won't help you now, sorry.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 08:21 AM

All the border agents are working on other things these days....
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 02:21 PM

My suspicion is that Global Entry may be faster than Sentri?
Anyone else think that might be the case?
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 05:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by apple  

My wife and I put our application for GI six weeks ago . She was approved in two weeks I am still waiting??

[Edited on 5-14-2019 by freediverbrian]

[Edited on 5-14-2019 by freediverbrian]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

They are still trying to find the children they took from parents back in early 2018...
The GE / Sentri review program is very likely as incompetently run as the family separation program....
Trump threw his last HS security under the bus, and she quit,... who is running show now?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Vikinginbaja

[*] posted on 5-14-2019 at 08:30 AM

Hello,

This is actually my first post here but I recently went through the same exact experience as you and thought I’d share my experience.

To make a long story short, after 6 months passed of being conditionally approved and “pending review”, I gave the SENTRI office a call, not email, a direct call to speak with a person.

Surprisingly, they answered after the first ring and I just asked them for a status because it said “conditionally approved” for months. The agent took my information and then said I have been approved for over 3 months but for some reason it never got updated on the system users see. Uggh. I wish I called sooner but I hesitated because, you know, all the warnings and info that says to be patient.

The same day I called, it showed my updated status online. Four days later we had our appointments, and a week later our cards arrived.

When we were at our appointment, the officer mentioned there were a few that got “forgotten” in the system. If you haven’t gotten anywhere yet, I’d give the office a call. They were actually quite helpful and easy to deal with. I had a hard time finding their number and the way I got it was I asked an officer when crossing in the Ready Lane. They have preprinted slips of paper with the help line number.

Give them a call if your still stuck in limbo. They were very helpful and I wish I did that much earlier.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2019 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

They are still trying to find the children they took from parents back in early 2018...

No they’re not.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2019 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by apple  

My Sentri is up for renewal in the fall, and I'm wondering the same thing.
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 02:15 PM

global entry approved for interview in about a week. This was before Christmas. That little government shutdown delayed the interview.

It really saved a lot of time coming back into the States on my last trip as I skipped ahead to the front of the customs line.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 09:35 PM

I renewed in late December and still waiting for my renewal approval.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.