Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Please report on San Ysidro crossing on 5/14
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 08:20 AM
Please report on San Ysidro crossing on 5/14

It took me two hours a couple weeks ago. That was the regular lanes.

When are your appointments? What road are you taking to TJ? Those are kind of important factors.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 08:30 AM

When discussing border crossing issues it may be helpful to state if it is the northbound or southbound border crossing.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 10:47 AM

Southbound is fairly bad in the afternoons and evenings because the 5 is two lanes and the 805 is down to one.

Northbound has no changes from the past months(Years?)
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 11:22 AM

Driving across at San Ysidro or Otay, the chance of being 'interrogated' are incredibly slim. It is basically the same as it has been for the past 5+ years, you just drive up to a automatic gate thing with a light that says red or green and then 99% you get the green light and drive in to Mexico.
I crossed south at SY around 5pm 3 Fridays ago and there was traffic, but it only took 20ish minutes to get through.

**I just saw someone else mentioned new roads on the 5 that lead to the Mexico entrance. I guess I didn't know anything about that.

[Edited on 5-12-2019 by apple]
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 11:28 AM

Sounds like they are just widening the lanes on the US side so there is less of a choke point at the turn: https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-Ysidro-Port-of-En...

Nevermind, I don't know what I'm talking about. It does look like there will be 'southbound inspection points' on the USA side on the map there

[Edited on 5-12-2019 by apple]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 11:40 AM

Have the Americans implemented the planned southbound inspections at San Ysidro? I haven't read any reports about that.

Regardless, get to TJ before 3 PM to avoid the afternoon southbound commuters.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 12:41 PM

You are aware that you could get xrayed by the Mexicans going south? I did on April 27th 7 pm. It added an extra 1/2 hour to the crossing.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
You are aware that you could get xrayed by the Mexicans going south? I did on April 27th 7 pm. It added an extra 1/2 hour to the crossing.

Yeah but if our goons are stopping every car going south it's going to be a nightmare. Be just like coming north at SY and soon every other crossing will have a SB check I bet.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Yeah but if our goons are stopping every car going south it's going to be a nightmare. Be just like coming north at SY and soon every other crossing will have a SB check I bet.

I'll take that bet....what do you got?:light:
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

I'll take that bet....what do you got?:light:

I say June 1 2020 shovels in ground for Tecate, Mexicali West and possibly Otay for SB check points. Mexicali East won't be far behind.

Hope I'm wrong!

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 09:10 PM

I cross a lot and yesterday the new inspection area did not look even close to opening. I would be impressed if they get it open and running soon. I’ll update tomorrow when I cross again if anything looks funky. But the main worry is the traffic from the 805 bottleneck to one lane.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 08:14 AM

I'm crossing SB 5/22 San Ysidro. Hopefully before 8:00 AM. I'll report.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 11:36 PM

It absolutely crazy how much stuff happens in tijuana and it just becomes business as usual in a matter of minutes. I crossed this evening and everything looked completely normal and the new inspection area looked really far from ready to open. Dirt piles, dirt roads not paved yet, all of the metal posts (border gate) still up.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2019 at 09:47 AM

first reports are in...everything going smoothly:D

but watch for speed bumps

[Edited on 5-14-2019 by willardguy]
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2019 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
So they are not stopping people and hanging up the traffic? Excellent!

Give 'em time, they're just getting warmed up!

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-14-2019 at 08:16 PM

It’s all trump’s fault! He is in charge. It’s his watch. You fools voted for him. So blame yourself!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-14-2019 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
It’s all trump’s fault! He is in charge. It’s his watch. You fools voted for him. So blame yourself!

Oh no I did not.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 09:33 AM

Info - https://www.facebook.com/SanYsidroBorder/

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

From that page:
New southbound inspection lanes entering Tijuana by San Ysidro begin operation today A total of four new vehicle lanes entering Mexico from San Ysidro began operations today, Tuesday, May 14, 2019. The new access will connect the southbound lanes of Interstate 5 (I-5) with the facilities of El Chaparral in Tijuana. These new lanes will have inspection booths, operated by officers from the Customs and Border Protection Office (CBP), to carry out inspections for southbound travelers, similar to the inspections currently performed for travelers heading northbound across the border. The inspections in the new booths will be periodic and quick, as they were done previously. In total, there will eventually be ten new lanes connecting from the southbound I-5 into El Chaparral, but only four of these were opened beginning 7:00 AM this morning. The remainder of the lanes will be operational by the end of this year. "We are excited to reach another milestone for the San Ysidro Port of Entry renovation project. We hope to operate the southbound lanes and booths efficiently and safely while inspecting southbound travelers into Mexico. We hope to have this project completed by years end," said Pete Flores, CBP operations director in San Diego. The new lanes will also serve a critical step in taking biometric data from non-US travelers, as part of a mandate from the United States Congress, to record the departure of these individuals from the country.

This is dumb as hell
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by apple  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

...This is dumb as hell

Ya think??!!!

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.