Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Please report on San Ysidro crossing on 5/14
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 5-16-2019 at 09:45 AM

Crossed yesterday at 2 pm....didn't even slow down.....pretty slick,
"much ado about nothing"...…….

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2019 at 10:01 AM

So they are not actually stopping people yet? Just drive on through? Super!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-16-2019 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  
Crossed yesterday at 2 pm....didn't even slow down.....pretty slick,
"much ado about nothing"...…….

Right, because this is why they planned for, couldn't ever get worse... once they actually start manning the booths and all.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2019 at 12:30 PM

Ahhh... I hadn't realized they had not yet started manning the booths. Then we can expect delays. Alright, hope that is a long time from now!
ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2019 at 12:57 PM

I apologize for whining... I already wait two hours in one direction - not looking forward to a wait in the other direction.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-18-2019 at 06:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by ZipLine  
How was southbound? Anybody get the third degree? Or is it quick and easy? Are they stopping everyone? Do you need to show your passport card/passport?

"Did you pack that bag yourself?"

There is a red light/green light system and a loudspeaker that barks instructions.. if you get a red light, it displays as a big red light in the shape of trump’s face blinking an angry red, and a loud speaker plays a recording of Donald trump shouting: “stop me!”

Don't you mean a bright orange light?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 5-18-2019 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I wonder what biometric data they will be collecting and from who/whom. Everybody? Face photos?

[Edited on 5-15-2019 by SFandH]

Right now just foreigners, but tomorrow everybody with facial biometric technology, that doesn't always work, and in fact makes more mistakes with dark-skinned people, than white people, which is not really surprising.

Ever wonder why your taking a passport photo, or are in customs taking photos of yourself, and they tell you not to smile and remove your eye glasses?

It's because your big smile or eyeglasses could throw off the biometric information or measurements they have on you.

So it's not a perfect system as this time, and you just know Big Brother, doesn't always have your best interests in mind when they push for new technology, that's supposed to make things easier when you travel, but is also always ripe for human rights abuses.

San Francisco, got it right when they recently passed a facial recognition ban in their city.

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2019 at 11:15 AM

Much of the rest of the world is already using this technology. The UK and Europe have been doing it for years. UK citizens walk right in at airports with only a face scan. The US is way behind on much tech. Has been for a long time.

I was working in S. Korea in the early 2000s and people were already paying with their smartphones at Family Mart (similar to 7-11) there. Then - 12-15 years later USA announces "NEW" technology to pay by phone! Ha ha ha!

We need to catch up. We are SOoooo far behind.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2019 at 11:28 AM

We are SOoooo far behind.

Fine with me, there is something about all automated recognition technology I don't like. It is too 1984ish

And, I refuse to get a smartphone. Jeez, I don't even have a cell phone and don't want one.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2019 at 11:32 AM

It might be 1984-ish, but it is here and has been here. Because the press has not reported it, does not mean it does not exist. They don't want us to know about it. Pretending it is not there, doesn't solve or prevent anything.

Not to worry, they are tracking you. Just be sure to smile at the cameras!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-23-2019 at 09:12 AM

I just crossed Southbound through the new entry process...easy-peazy. Just 5 very large speed bumps (topes), plus the regular cameras going off all over the place. Then this will immediately bring you to the SY port of entry's 20+ gates.
That said, the best gate crossing SY southbound is still the right hand lane, about 50' from the declaration office.

How was southbound? Anybody get the third degree? Or is it quick and easy? Are they stopping everyone? Do you need to show your passport card/passport?

"Did you pack that bag yourself?"

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.