Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Its much to quiet
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbdown.gif posted on 5-12-2019 at 01:05 PM
Its much to quiet

Doesn't someone have a fish story u share with us? U know maybe the one that got away or a pic or 2 or something no matter how old.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 01:12 PM

Your stories are the best...

Well, there was this dog in Baja...;)

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 01:39 PM

All my stories are old like me but they are lots of new guys that haven't seen them...…..I did catch a big carp the other day must have weighed 20#25# got him on 6# with a Green/chrome 1/4 K/M I was chasing stripers at the time.
Carp have a bad rep but they are strong and will run and get very large,a guy on my lake got one that weighed 57# with a bow,sometimes when things were slow we would fish them with crappie jigs and grubs...…..Guess I will bring an oldie back might get something going.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 02:09 PM

His name was Wiley... and he use to chase and try to bite a guy who loved Baja.
We'll just call him... the "Roadrunner"...
Stop me if you've heard this story before...;)

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 07:27 PM

nothing to do with Baja, but I had my first experience with alligator gar.

First, we went urban fishing, caught a 6 lb carp on a fly in the concrete Bayous of Houston. Also caught Tilapia,m and those weird plecostomas, the armored algae eaters in aquariums, but they have a reproducing population in the Bayous, 18 inches long!

so we took the carp out, used it as bait to try and pull out an alligator gar on the trinity River - using Kayaks.

used the whole head of the carp, line started running (I use a live liner penn reel) I let it run for over 100 yards, finally tried to set the hook, had him on for 10 seconds, came to the surface, spit my hook - but he was at least 4 feet long, more likely 5 footer.

didn't get one this time - but I'm definetly going back, the whole yin yang of carp on a #4 fly rod, then 60 lb braid and wire leaders and huge spinning reels, and waiting em out - great fun.

don't think I'm gunna fish from the Yak though, I could have been pulled miles down river. from now on Kayak to sandy beach, and fish from there!

After that adventure, we went over to the guadalupe, and caughtv a good load of 16 - 20 inch rainbows and Browns, mostly nymphing, but we did pull a 20 inch rainbow on a 12c foot tenkara rod - That was a true comedy, passing the rod behind his back, stepping over it, stumbling all around, somehow - he pulled it off!

[Edited on 5-13-2019 by caj13]
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 09:18 PM

I tried to go fishing in the kayak out front of the Jesus statue just south of Rosarito yesterday. After timing the set waves, I was lucky enough to take a random freak set right on the head and flipped the kayak. I went over holding my paddle in one hand, and rod in the other. A fairly large crowd on the beach was laughing and whistling. Soaking wet(but wearing a wetsuit) I made it out the second time and proceeded to fish for two hours and only caught one really small sand bass. So I’d say the ocean won that battle by a long shot yesterday.

P.s. I also got fairly sunburnt. Totally worth floating around in the ocean by myself though after a really long semester back in school.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-12-2019 at 11:54 PM

At least you didn't come with skunk on you boat

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 06:11 AM

Three Rivers, west of Visalia CA. While having a shore lunch, watched a guy tie a huge hook to the back of a pet-store mouse, set said mouse on a cedar shingle that had a long string attached to it and carefully launched the whole thing. At mid-stream, he pulls the string and the shingle out from under the mouse which begins desperately mouse-paddling for shore.....never made it as a river gar grabbed it and headed for Lake Kaweha.
Not the height of angling sportsmanship but I'll never forget it.
John Gierach tells of fly fishing for gar with a 6" piece of rope tied to the leader - sans hook. Apparently, the fibers of the rope would wind around the teeth where a hook could not penetrate.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 07:18 AM

The short version.....have you ever put a 120 pound halibut into a 12 1/2 foot Zodiac? I have, and with two other people plus gear, even a dead halibut is a load!

We were fishing for salmon in 20 feet of water at the time, so this was on medium weight tackle!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 07:35 AM

Yellowtail fishing out of Loreto this spring has been about as good as it gets. Easy limits on short days. Last month I took along Connor Moore, 14 year old grandson of my neighbor Penny, and we caught 10 (I handled gaff duty). Another day I took with me Jim and Gloria King before they migrated north to New Mexico for 15. They took a cooler across the hill to share the wealth in Lopez Mateos.

DSC07126 (2).jpg - 96kB
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Three Rivers, west of Visalia CA. While having a shore lunch, watched a guy tie a huge hook to the back of a pet-store mouse, set said mouse on a cedar shingle that had a long string attached to it and carefully launched the whole thing. At mid-stream, he pulls the string and the shingle out from under the mouse which begins desperately mouse-paddling for shore.....never made it as a river gar grabbed it and headed for Lake Kaweha.
Not the height of angling sportsmanship but I'll never forget it.
John Gierach tells of fly fishing for gar with a 6" piece of rope tied to the leader - sans hook. Apparently, the fibers of the rope would wind around the teeth where a hook could not penetrate.

whats a "river Gar" never heard of it? I didn't think Gar were in California? I have seen and used the mouse trick before on big browns. Just used a couple of rubber bands around the body to hold the hook, and underhand em into deep holes along the cut banks of fairly small streams - gets your heart pumping when you get hooked up - kind of feel sorry for the mouse!

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 08:58 AM

A mouse on a shingle:lol: I can just see that,I just spilled my coffee on the key board still working lucked out.
Sorry Bill I can't take that deck hand job you didn't offer me, keep taking pic's of your trips I'm always looking forward to them.
Rob

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 10:18 AM

any of you guys ever fished Baja with these steel shad lures - great price at costco, but I'm not familiar with them.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=st...
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 02:34 PM

• SteelShad XXL in Silver Color (2 oz & 5 inches)
• SteelShad XXL in Gold Color (2 oz & 5 inches)

This size. I guarantee it!!!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 02:41 PM

SteelShad Large Popper in Silver with Spots (½ oz.)
SteelShad Large Popper in Silver with Yellow (½ oz.)

These 2 maybe. A bit small. But if you threw this on a kelp patty holding fish... I guarantee it... if you get close enough without spooking the fish...
If they were bigger... I guarantee it. 1-2 oz. About 5 inches long.
Like a baitfish.:coolup:

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  
Yellowtail fishing out of Loreto this spring has been about as good as it gets. Easy limits on short days. Last month I took along Connor Moore, 14 year old grandson of my neighbor Penny, and we caught 10 (I handled gaff duty). Another day I took with me Jim and Gloria King before they migrated north to New Mexico for 15. They took a cooler across the hill to share the wealth in Lopez Mateos.

If you want to know how to catch a bruiser Yellowtail... you just as the kid there...

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 04:08 PM

Some braid line on a 7foot med action custom rod. This for the "kelp "patties" includes all seaweed balls floating on the surface of blue water... deep water. 40lb braid maybe. Toss that little lure along way.
Let him swim... braid on mono topshot so plenty of line...
A fish can't dive to the bottom and use his favorite rock. You will be instantly "cut off"... One of the many agonizing ways to "farm" a fish
As in: If it wasn't for all these "farmers" I could have filled the boat with ATUN by now.
And then back to the bar 1st... to "bird dog" all the... talent...

So don't farm any fish "×÷=_£@"!...;)

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2019 at 08:41 PM

About 15 or 16 years ago I bought a kayak for fishing. I took it out of Oxnard a couple of times. But never caught anything.Then I heard if a kayak fishing tournament out of King Harbor / Redondo beach. So I signed up $50 entry fee. On the start of the tournament I paddled out of the harbor heading south. About a quarter mile south i put a piece of frozen squid on a lead head with a swim bait and dropped it in. I paddled for about 2 minutes and hooked up. Pulled in a 9lb halibut. Turned around and paddled back to the weigh station. I never went back out just hung around all day listening to radio chatter about some guy that nobody knew had caught a 9lb halibut. At the end of the day the next largest fish was a 3lb sand bass caught by the local kayak hero who was expected by everyone but me to win the whole thing. I won a $1000 Ocean Kayak and got my picture in one of the LA papers. But their local kayak hero was the one that got the interview. Not a single word from me was in that newspaper article. Just his. If you had read the article not knowing him you would have thought the picture was of him. They were all Butt hurt. Pun intended
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-14-2019 at 10:47 AM

Rub this guys head.. he's lucky...
Will you buy me a lottery ticket?;)

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2019 at 08:18 PM

Let's see if this copy and paste works. A fishing story, no matter how old.

P>*)))>{

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Ok, this may sound weird, but I fish in my dreams.

In the carpet.

The fish are swimming in the carpet and I can cast right to them and watch them take my lure.

Sometimes I'll be sitting on the couch when a fish will come swimming out from underneath. I'll grab my rod and drop a bait down between the couch and the coffee table and FISH ON.

Reel, reel, reel, reel!

This is not a one time dream. I have carpet fishing dreams often.

This past winter we were in Bahia and the halibut were right on the shore. It was dajavu all over again, just like in my dreams, it was there, I could see it and BAM, it would take my lure.

I need to fish.

P>*)))>{

Excellent dream management, Toots. "Night Movies" can be fun if they have the right cast.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.