BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: small Sailboat for sale?
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 02:04 AM
small Sailboat for sale?

Hey guys,

Wife and I are interested in learning how to sail, we are on the hunt for a small inexpensive boat to learn on, under $5K

I am thinking something around ~22-25ft

We are in Loreto but i imagine a boat this size would be trailerable (is that a word?) so anything in BCS should work!

Let me know if you know of something.

Thanks!

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
pacificobob
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 05:50 AM

south baja craigs list has some. good luck
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 06:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
Hey guys,

Wife and I are interested in learning how to sail, we are on the hunt for a small inexpensive boat to learn on, under $5K

I am thinking something around ~22-25ft

We are in Loreto but i imagine a boat this size would be trailerable (is that a word?) so anything in BCS should work!

Let me know if you know of something.

Thanks!

A few suggestions....

Learn to sail before you buy a boat, you will get a better idea what you want to buy. For trailerable boats, You need to first decide if you want a race machine, an easy day sailer, or a cruising boat.

22-25 ft boats are trailerable, but pretty large. Larger boats are much more work to put mast up/down each time you trailer it. Lots of easy trailerable boats in the 14 to 19 ft range.
Small daysailers can be dragged up on the beach by 1 or 2 people. 22+ ft boat usually can’t be hauled out on beach.

Loreto may not have a good market for used boats, probably few boats to choose from. San Diego has lots of used boats on offerup, Craigslist, Facebook, etc.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pacificobob
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 07:00 AM

goat is right, they damn near give 'em away in southern california. i know a guy who has a business in oregon based on buying sailboats in SoCal. i would definitely consider a boat that two people could launch and retrieve from the beach.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 07:01 AM

Prindle 18 can be a lot of fun for 2 and is beach launchable.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 07:06 AM

Lots of people in San Diego learn to sail with these:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAEXLB_enMX837&q=lido...

If you want something that is trailerable and easy to launch you'll need a boat with a pivoting centerboard or a daggerboard. A kick-up rudder is handy to have when beaching the boat.

[Edited on 5-15-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 08:48 AM

Thanks guys!

ya pickings are pretty slim around here in Loreto, san diego has a glut! I am interested in anything that get us out on the water honestly, I was looking at the 20-27ft'ers since it would be cool to camp out on it for a night or 2.

I am hooking up with a capt here next week to go out sailing on his ~30ft cat just to learn some basics.

There is a ~$2500 per person 7-day ASA course down in La Paz that looks interesting, but at $5000 for my wife and I, its a bit expensive for us, maybe I can convince this capt to give us a few more classes, everything has its price right? :coolup:

[Edited on 5-15-2019 by defrag4]

[Edited on 5-15-2019 by defrag4]

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 08:51 AM

I saw this little butterfly for sail down in Los Barriles, the price is right but after watching some videos of some guys struggling to sail them in the lightest of lake chop im not sure how well it will stand up to the sea of cortez

What do you think?

[Edited on 5-18-2019 by BajaNomad]

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 09:06 AM

I would plan to keep it moored/docked over at Puerto Escondido majority of the time, so trailering/launching will hopefully only be done a few times a year at the beginning/end of the season

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
south baja craigs list has some. good luck

you don't have any other water toys to offload?? :lol:

another great weekend out in Concepcion on the dinghy btw

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 10:41 AM

Suggest a swing keeled sailboat and a trailer with a tongue extension that slides out.
This is what my Shock Santana 22 has. Won't point into the wind as well as a heavy deep keel, but beach launching and retrieval is easy.
I also raise the keel some and I can motor out of La Salina.

Es Todo Bueno
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 10:50 AM

Thanks Ted, a swing keel is what I am after as well

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 11:25 AM

Thanks Ted, a swing keel is what I am after as well

It sounds like you havent sailed much. You cant know what you want until you have tried the different types of boat.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 11:29 AM

I saw this little butterfly for sail down in Los Barriles, the price is right but after watching some videos of some guys struggling to sail them in the lightest of lake chop im not sure how well it will stand up to the sea of cortez

What do you think?

Fun little boat. Good for you to learn sailing. Yes, on small boats like that you will be wet, and you will capsize. Learn how to right it.

Woke!

Casa-rhea

Mood: Always in Awe of Baja

[*] posted on 5-15-2019 at 03:27 PM

Hi Defrag,We have a Laguna Windrose 22ft sloop rig sailboat for sale ,main,jib,with 3 1/2 hp evinrude kicker.Good condition.We'd like $2500..We are in Concepcion Bay until the end of this month.If interested ,let me know and ,I'll pm message you...See Laguna Windrose website for lots of Information..Thanks Billy/Betty
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2019 at 09:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Casa-rhea  
Hi Defrag,We have a Laguna Windrose 22ft sloop rig sailboat for sale ,main,jib,with 3 1/2 hp evinrude kicker.Good condition.We'd like $2500..We are in Concepcion Bay until the end of this month.If interested ,let me know and ,I'll pm message you...See Laguna Windrose website for lots of Information..Thanks Billy/Betty

Hi Billy/Betty,

I cant find much info on the Laguna windrose, but I am planning a trip back up to Requeson this weekend, are you guys up in Mulege? Maybe I could swing by to take a look? I will send you a u2u

Thanks,
James

Casa-rhea

Mood: Always in Awe of Baja

[*] posted on 5-17-2019 at 10:07 AM

Hi Defrag,Check your U2U...
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2019 at 07:35 PM

I started on a Lido 14, capsized a couple of times. Small boat definitely to learn about the how's and why's of sailing. Sailing is one of those lifetime sports. At sea you can be truly free

Es Todo Bueno

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.